Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: The Best Young QB in the Game
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"2010 looks to be the magic season for a shot at the National Championship. The offensive line will have 2 seniors and possibly 3 juniors returning, junior QB, junior and senior WRs, junior and senior RBs. The defensive line will loose a few, but we're stacked there for talent. The secondary will be a mix of sophomores, juniors, and a senior. I think we've got a pretty good shot at it. We'll have a better idea at the end of the year, not right now."

Perhaps, but I am not sure age/experience will make up for a lack of sufficient talent at the offensive skill positions. Saine and Herron don't appear at this point to have the talent or skills of their predecessors.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

for buckeyes a shot at # 1 next year maybe, time will tell, its a long time off, have to see how this team finishes up-----

and after all no one gave them a chance in 2002 but they became the first college team to ever go 14 & 0 and broke the 2nd longest winning streak ever, Miami's 34 in a row (3rd longest if u r counting Toledo's 37 or so in the 1970s).

of course Oklahoma won 47 in a row in 1950s.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

Ohhh I don't know about that. Dan Herron is a hard runner with no fear of contact. Sure, he's no Chris Wells...but he's #4 or #5 on the all time rushing list for running backs at Ohio State, talent like that doesn't come around that often. Saine has shown improvement with his toughness and his speed is in the 4.3-4.4 range. Behind them are two very talented freshmen Jaamal Berry and Jordan Hall. Devir Posey was a 5 star wide receiver and has proven he can live up to his billing. Dane Sanzenbacher has been one of Pryor's most reliable receivers. Duron Carter is looking like his dad with solid hands and efficient blocker, he just needs the ball in his hands.

The defense and special teams are excellent. The only question has been offense, which many attributed to the offensive line. However, the offensive line has shown improvement. Pryor and the rest of the offense will improve as soon as we figure out what kind of offense we're trying to run along with the playcalling to match. Will we win a national championship next year? Maybe, but we'll have a better chance next year with more maturity in the positions than we did at the beginning of this year.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

this buckeye team offensively hasnt shown anything, not yet anyway--

let's see how they finish at PENN ST, & in the BIG HOUSE against a very hungry opponent who hasnt beaten them in approx 2200 days.

if they win those 2 that will be impressive--- but maybe hungry Toledo gives buckeyes trouble this Saturday ?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"Ohhh I don't know about that. Dan Herron is a hard runner with no fear of contact. Sure, he's no Chris Wells...but he's #4 or #5 on the all time rushing list for running backs at Ohio State, talent like that doesn't come around that often. Saine has shown improvement with his toughness and his speed is in the 4.3-4.4 range. Behind them are two very talented freshmen Jaamal Berry and Jordan Hall. Devir Posey was a 5 star wide receiver and has proven he can live up to his billing. Dane Sanzenbacher has been one of Pryor's most reliable receivers. Duron Carter is looking like his dad with solid hands and efficient blocker, he just needs the ball in his hands.

The defense and special teams are excellent. The only question has been offense, which many attributed to the offensive line. However, the offensive line has shown improvement. Pryor and the rest of the offense will improve as soon as we figure out what kind of offense we're trying to run along with the playcalling to match. Will we win a national championship next year? Maybe, but we'll have a better chance next year with more maturity in the positions than we did at the beginning of this year."

Not saying they are talentless. But national championship level of talent? At those positions at least? Probably not.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 19, 2009

I'm sure we can keep this up all season. . .

As an Ohio State fan through and through, I would like Nicholas to be right. Unfortuntely, until Pryor learns how to be a leader the offense won't get too much better unless the freshman backs he mentions live up to expectations. I really thought Saine would be the guy because he is not just fast but big. I understand he has been hurt a little more than let on early in his career. Herron is tough but he just can't get outside and isn't big enough to continually pound inside against great teams. Perhaps he'll get loose against Toledo today.

Since Woody, Ohio State has always won with great defenses, offensive lines and running backs. We have had the occassional outstanding quarterback (Schlichter and T. Smith) but until this defense goes from good to great we aren't winning a national title. The O-line is not moving anyone off the ball. The only critique I have of Tressel is he sometimes sits on great players because of his insistence that there be some sort of mandatory hierarchy with upperclassmen. Maybe Berry or Hall need their chance now for the good of the team.

At TOSU it is easier to name far more great linebackers with the number 36 than it is to name great quarterbacks, regardless of number.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3