Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The Best Young QB in the Game
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

so true John, u say "The odd thing to me is, that Tressel used to make some risky calls. Remember when he had 4th and 1 against Purdue when they won the title, and he called a play action pass that won that game? Where are those calls?"

and what about vs Michigan in 2002, late in game Ohio st behind-- a fake option by Krenzel to the left then a quick pitch back to the right to Maurice Hall who went around the right end for the winning TD. This was a goal line call too. WHERE ARE THOSE CALLS ???

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

At this point, with this young of a team on offense, Tressel would rather take a play that probably won't net anything than try something risky and get pounded for it. With the National Championship team, they were older guys, lots of juniors and seniors. This team has plenty of older guys on defense and special teams, but on offense, not quite.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

And while we're on the topic of the game, is there any word on how the wrestling recruits enjoyed their visit?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

Bob: In recruiting Tressel gets breadth, not heighth. To equate it to wrestling he gets several of the 3-10 ranked wrestlers; what he doesn't get is 3 or 4 of the top wrestlers the way, say Penn St. is getting next year.

He actually has had a Number One class. I think it was Clarett's year. Other than that he has been between 3-10, depending on the ranking service.

Florida, SoCal, Alabama, LSU and Texas are routinely ahead of him (and most others) now.

He coaches to what he has. Pretty wide open with Troy Smith; buttoned up with Pryor. He also seems to have as many, if not more, players leave early than most schools. This game with USC wouldn't have been close with Chris Wells.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"This game with USC wouldn't have been close with Chris Wells."

Assuming Wells would have stayed healthy, never an easy thing for him.

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

look...i am as OSU biased as they come - but can call it down the middle when i need to...

nobody on here has given USC the credit that they deserve on defense. they scripted a game plan that was perfect, and it would surprise me NOT to see other defenses play the same set up....

8 in the box, beat us with your arm. when you try to scramble, our linebackers are not going to go to the ball, as much as they are going to mirror you, and try and string it out to let help arrive. we are going to cut off your avenue to run, or at least appear to do so, which will force you to throw the ball on the run, and over traffic.

I HATE saying it...but USC played a defensive game that isolated the biggest weapon OSU has...and other teams were watching...

Good analysis, though instead of saying they isolated this "weapon" it was almost more like they exposed it.

Pryor falls into what has happened a lot in sports today, the emphasis on athleticism instead of skills. Scouts fall in love with 40 times, vertical jumps, bench presses, etc. instead of skills and productivity on the court or field.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

The thing is, they had success with short passes to Saine. Also, with this type of defense, OSU could have gone with more misdirection to get Pryor isolated on a defender.

As for his productivity, he had 3400 yds (passing and rushing) with 43 TDs as a Junior and 4700 yds and 59 TDs (plus one receiving) as a Senior. That looks pretty productive.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Bob: In recruiting Tressel gets breadth, not heighth. To equate it to wrestling he gets several of the 3-10 ranked wrestlers; what he doesn't get is 3 or 4 of the top wrestlers the way, say Penn St. is getting next year."

not true, the last 2 years Football classes were close to # 1 ranked. The Pryor class was top 5 or 6 BEFORE Pryor commited, which he commited very late. This season incoming class was ranked # 1 all year by Tom Lemming who then moved it to # 2 when, i think it was, LSU got some great late signees.

Soph Mike Adams from Dublin Ohio was ranked the # 1 O-lineman in nation by at least one service, Brewster the soph center was at the top too. Then theres Pryor ranked the # 1 player period coming out of hs. Etienne Sabino from Florida was ranked the # 1 Inside LB by at least one service. Those are the ones i recall w/o looking it up.

among this seasons freshmen footballers Dorian Bell the LB from PA was a top 3 linebacker in the nation & rated as PAs # 1 player so for two years in a row Ohio st got PAs # 1 rated player. --- Jamaal Berry the RB from Florida a top 5 running back by most services. John Simon the freshman D-tackle from Youngstown Mooney was first team AA by Tom Lemming. Melvin Fellows the DE from Garfield Heights was very highly ranked as were a couple of the freshmen DBs like C.J. Barnett. Maurice Hall the O-linemen for Glenville was ranked very near the top in the nation at his position, he almost went to Miami of Florida.

Thats just off the top of my head, goes on and on. Ohio st gets plenty of football talent. No excuses there.

As for coach RYAN, we will see in November who he signs, too early to evaluate-- we know he has verbal from Logan Stieber maybe the nations top recruit overall, at least top 5 anyway regardless of wt.

He was the proverbial "man amongst boys" then. Now he is playing with men, and least Saturday did not look very productive.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 17, 2009

"Pryor falls into what has happened a lot in sports today, the emphasis on athleticism instead of skills. Scouts fall in love with 40 times, vertical jumps, bench presses, etc. instead of skills and productivity on the court or field."

Great point Gary. It is why Tom Brady, Peyton and Eli Manning, Ben Roethlesberger and Kurt Warner win Super Bowl titles. None of them could probably lift more or run faster than Brady Quinn and certainly not Michael Vick. In college, however, it will get you pretty far.

Bob: I suppose we can simply disagree, especially since I think you miss my point entirely. As far as the rankings, they speak for themselves but while a couple had Pryor as the number one recruit overall, several didn;t even have him as the best QB. Perhaps they know something you and I don't?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

well Pryor is only 2 games into his Soph season so the final grade on him as a QB is yet to be determined. I'm not in Ohio states practice every day like the coaches there are, so i will not 2nd guess them as to his QB potential. No one wants to win more than the coaches.

i know coach Mack Brown of Texas-- who has had some Super recruiting classes and coached Vince Young and the current QB who was 2nd in the Heisman-- Mack Brown has said in the past, ive read it more than once, that Pryor will lead Ohio st to a national title. If Mack Brown changed his mind recently i don't know-- but Texas did recruit Pryor very hard btw, so let's reserve Pryor's final grade.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"well Pryor is only 2 games into his Soph season so the final grade on him as a QB is yet to be determined. I'm not in Ohio states practice every day like the coaches there are, so I will not 2nd guess them as to his QB potential. No one wants to win more than the coaches.

I know coach Mack Brown of Texas-- who has had some Super recruiting classes and coached Vince Young and the current QB who was 2nd in the Heisman-- Mack Brown has said in the past, ive read it more than once, that Pryor will lead Ohio st to a national title. If Mack Brown changed his mind recently I don't know-- but Texas did recruit Pryor very hard btw, so let's reserve Pryor's final grade."

No disrespect to Coach Brown, but he is waaaaay off on that one. Pryor does not appear to have enough skills to lead them to one, and even if he did the current roster has too many holes in it compared to true title contenders. Limited wide receivers, limited running game, not high-end team speed.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

i don't think Mack Brown meant this season.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on September 18, 2009

2010 looks to be the magic season for a shot at the National Championship. The offensive line will have 2 seniors and possibly 3 juniors returning, junior QB, junior and senior WRs, junior and senior RBs. The defensive line will loose a few, but we're stacked there for talent. The secondary will be a mix of sophomores, juniors, and a senior. I think we've got a pretty good shot at it. We'll have a better idea at the end of the year, not right now.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next