Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The Best Young QB in the Game
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 13, 2009

This is what happens when a coach with an offensive philosophy gets the right QB to run his system.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9fQPTSeJo

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on September 14, 2009

Being from central Ohio, it's not in my genetics to root for Michigan. That being said, he was a real treat to watch Saturday. I have to admit, it's good to see Michigan back. I want the Bucks to smash them, but the Big 10 is a better conference with Michigan moving back towards the top.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on September 14, 2009

The best young quarterback in the game? I wouldn't go that far. That drive was very impressive, though.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd root for Michigan but there's no doubt that it is much more exciting to beat an undefeated (or close to it) Michigan team than a sub-par Michigan team, so I tend to want them to win every game except the one against the Buckeyes.

Terrelle Pryor is an amazing athlete, nobody will question that. But what showed on Saturday night is that the connection between his arm and his mind, that innate awareness that great quarterbacks have, is something he doesn't have yet. I know we'll see him grow a lot over the course of the season. Maybe we'll end up facing USC again in the Rose Bowl, a chance for revenge that I bet the Buckeyes would love to get. There he would be able to show just how much of a difference experience makes.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 14, 2009

Terrell Pryor looked AWFUL in 2nd half vs S Cal, blew alot of chances the D gave him, and totally mismanaged the "2 minute drill" at end of game.

Tate Forcier looked super for Michigan, BUT let's keep in mind he was facing the Notre Dame defense, not S Cal's. But yes he looked super.

reminds me at the Brecksville tourn about 4 years ago-- i saw Mark Marinelli then coach at Columbus DeSales wearing an Ohio st hat, i laughed and commented to Marinelli because it wasnt like him, never saw it before though he did wrestle for the buckeyes. He said Tressel wins the Big Ones, that was just prior to disastrous Florida BCS game-- wow how quickly perceptions change.

In hindsight Marinelli jinxed the buckeyes--- ha, ha, its like the stock market, 35 years in it has taught me when the average investor gets in with both feet the market is at its top and ready to tank. Insiders & crooks make money on Wall st, and brokers too--- the average investor just donates.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on September 14, 2009

Pryor is an unbelieveable athlete with some quarterbacking skills. That is as far as I will take it right now.

John Ice added to this discussion on September 14, 2009

My 2 cents. I was at the game. It seemed as if Pryor is being held back from doing what he does best. The offense needs to be tailored to his game. Let him run more than anything else,.it is what he does best. Maybe better than any QB in the country. I hope no reccruits were at the game because they couldn't have been impressed. Play calling sucked.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 14, 2009

My two cents...

Jim Tressel is a first class human being, a stellar recruiter and a great ambassador for tOSU and the state of Ohio. But, I'm not convinced he's a great football coach. His teams are successful because they have superior talent. Indeed Ohio State puts more guys in the pros than almost any college program. They also play hard. But...

There is no discernible philosophy at work on offense or defense. None. Most of you have commented negatively about Pryor. Put Pryor in any well defined offensive system designed to utilize his talents and he probably wins the Heisman. What is Ohio State trying to do on offense? Can anyone tell me?

Several years ago, Cleve JFK had a beast of a 189 pounder named Bruce Moore. He was crazy strong, had great balance and the all around talent to win a state title. But he lacked proper training. The Buckeye football team has the same problem. They need to know what to do with all this talent. They need a style that works.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 15, 2009

"I hope no reccruits were at the game because they couldn't have been impressed."
----------------------------

actually many were there and four star rated Back/WR Cory Brown from PA verbaled on the spot.

we all know most guys in America are football experts-- its a "guy thing"-- having played some or at least seen many many thousands of games on TV. If u go to any game, everyone around you knows whats best, everyone is an expert.

No one more unhappy than ME about losing this game, as an Ohio St alum i followed Ohio st football since the late 1950s, i used to play basketball with legends like Rex Kern, Jack Tatum and Jim Stillwagon down there in the late 60s. I worked in a diner on Neil ave where Woody Hayes came in regularly to eat and i use to talk to him while grilling his supper for him. ----- None of this makes me an expert and i'm not an expert, but i do have a big investment in Ohio St football.

fact is Tressel's record is exceeded by only a very very few active coaches--- Off the top of my head i'd take only Pete Carroll and Urban Meyer over Tressel.

Tressel Not perfect, makes mistakes, but he is truly outstanding. Over 80 % winning at Ohio St, 4 national titles at Youngstown st where he had to win them in a playoff, one national title at Ohio st. Just geting to the BCS title game is a BIG accomplishment, win or lose there. Ohio st is lucky to have him. Very very lucky. He &/or his coaches screw up, but thats the nature of the game, the nature of life.

FACT, maybe the greatest ever Bear Bryant played in a bowl game every year from 1967 thru 1974 WITHOUT a WIN-- its true, 7 losses and a tie. Sheet happens in life.

Don Stocum added to this discussion on September 15, 2009

The bottom line is your not gonna win the big games if you don't take risks. USC went for it on every fourth and 1 they had in the game, and they got each one. Tressel just punts it away. If you can't get at least one yard a play with the talent OSU has, there is something wrong with the coaching staff. When we were on the one yard line sometime in the 1st half we had an oppurtunity to score a touchdown a pave the way for a big win but we settled for a field goal. I think you know what Pete Carrol would have done.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 15, 2009

i don't like that Tressel cautious approach either, but if it was easy every coach would be another Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer or Chuck Kyle (Pete Carroll btw was a failure in the NFL, when he was a hired at USC many alumni loudly complained).

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

Bob: You make a lot of good points.

I think the conservative play calling is due to the fact that while Pryor is a great athlete he just isn't there yet as a quarterback. I think Tressel will get him there but his throws are, mostly, pretty ugly and often into coverage. He reacts very slowly to his options. It will take time. He could do anything at Jeanette H.S. but not in college. Barkley looked far more polished because of the offense he ran in high school.

Pryor will be the best in college next year, I think (hope).

I kept thinking they would go with the Krenzel offense. Short drop backs. If the first or second option wasn't immedately available, he would take off, gain three (or sometimes more) and do it again. Won a national title that way with a great defense, ball control, and no turnovers.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

Roe: This bitter Michigan fan has to point out that the Buckeyes probably should have lost 2-3 games with the offense you're describing. And that pass interference penalty?

The Buckeye have lived right. They play in the football equivalent of the AL Central and feast off weak Big Ten competition. The key to playing for a national title is to win your early season games and go undefeated in your conference. If you haven't lost by end of season and you're in a BCS conference, there's a very good chance you're going to play for the title. Being in the Big Ten and recruiting tremendous talent is a good formula when there's no playoff system.

I do think the Buckeye team that lost to Fla was the best team that season.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

"Roe: This bitter Michigan fan has to point out that the Buckeyes probably should have lost 2-3 games with the offense you're describing. And that pass interference penalty? "

But Hank, they didn't lose those games. Thats the point. Most title winners have close calls along the way. There is a lot of parity in big time college football. Florida DID LOSE last year and they won the title.

Every year he gets outrecruited by anywhere between 4-8 schools depending on the recruiting service. Yet they are usually in the hunt. They always lose the speed guys, too, so they usually try to control the ball, limit turnovers, etc. I miss the days of Woody running up 50 on Indiana, NW, etc. But Tressel did great things at YSU with not much to speak of. And he generally gets good marks on academic and discipline issues for such a big school (and yes, Gary, I am aware of a few transgressions).

Also, I totally agree that it wasn't interference: it was defensive holding. An easy call. They just called the wrong penalty.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

i follow it closely and Tressels recruiting classes the last couple years have been at or very near the top. Cant be at the top unless u have the number of schols to give, so no one is # 1 or 2 every year-- one year might have 27 or 28 to give like Ohio st last year or like this year Ohio st does not have even 20 unless a few guys quit.

Here are brilliant words from Mike Harden of the Columbus Dispatch, the daily newspapers could use more of this type talent today !! now this is writing & storytelling at its best-- and its true:

"Though George Smith knows I am an unrepentant Buckeyes fan, he felt compelled to address me in the middle of the game Saturday: "Son, this Tressel fella coaches like a CPA trying to keep a client out of jail." Smith made the observation at a juncture in the gridiron clash when the man in the gray flannel sweater vest once again ignored the axiom "Fate favors the bold" and called for a hand-off so stunningly obvious that a one-eyed hound lazing under a porch in Circleville read it before the deep back got the ball."

John Flanigan added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

The odd thing to me is, that Tressel used to make some risky calls. Remember when he had 4th and 1 against Purdue when they won the title, and he called a play action pass that won that game? Where are those calls?

I thought Pryor looked terrible, as he seemed to be trying to stay only in the pocket. He made a few nice throws, but the majority were bad. Stick with dump offs to Saine coming out of the backfield for a while (which was working great), and then try a long throw. He should also use his legs a LOT more than he has been.

Overall though, I am pleased with the Buckeyes and the fact remains that the majority of college programs would be happy to have the run that the Bucks have enjoyed under Tressel.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next