Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: My Scouting Report
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 31, 2009

Two wrestlers that Ohio State is rumored to have interest in are Josh Kindig and Mike Evans. With the miracle of Flowrestling, I spent a little time watching them. My thoughts--to be taken with several grains of salt.

Josh Kindig: This kid wrestles the way you want your guys to compete. He's aggressive, in position and solid all around. He has nice attacks on his feet and is always looking to score. His match with David Taylor in the Super 32 finals was particularly impressive (albeit short as the time per match is abbreviated). Taylor won by riding him for the third period in an otherwise even bout. But even while on bottom, Kindig's motion was constant--which kept him from being in danger. He's got a great motor and seems to display the type of attitude as a competitor that it takes to succeed in D1. He projects as a 141-149--no bigger.

Mike Evans: He's not as big as I thought he might be. If he were in college right now, it's possible he'd be a 165. Evans doesn't have great leg attacks on his feet. Instead, he looks for body locks or simply tries to grab a leg and kind of wrap up his opponent. Where Evans excels is on the mat--esp. top. In the matches I watched he runs a nasty powerhalf and also looks for the banana splits. I also saw him run over an opponent with a wrist and a half when the guy put his head down. On bottom, he likes to get his hips ready to pop and then hit something hard--switch, granby, etc... In some respects, he reminded me of Anthony Biondo, Michigan's solid 184 pounder. On his feet, there was a bit of Kurt Kinser (although he didn't show a devastating headlock or hip toss). The negative with Evans would be his lack of a really good leg attack. Also, his bully style translates well right now at high school. But he'd have to adjust significantly at the next level for his tactics to work. Ultimately, although his style is much different, I'm not sure he'd be any better than Nick Heflin (whom I feel has the tools to become a good college wrestler so that's not a put-down).

Evans would be a nice addition to any wrestling program. But of the two, I'd rather have Kindig. He strikes me as the "surer" thing.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 31, 2009

good analysis, buckeyes want kindig badly-- i think its between them and Okla st----- oh no, not 2nd to Okla st again !!??

take a look at Peppleman, Hank. And Demas too.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 31, 2009

First of all, that was a great post, Hank! I loved the analysis. I do agree about, "the miracle that is FloWrestling." That's a funny but correct way to put it.

My $0.02 about Kindig and Evans is not anything as insightful as Hank's but I think they're both excellent and I'd love to see them in scarlet and gray.

I agree with Bob, too, about Demas. That kid has some serious skills.

Most probably didn't get a chance to watch this but the first night down at state in our hotel room, Matside was on, showing the Division 1 district finals from Darby. If I'm not mistaken, Demas spladled his opponent for the win.

Demas was excellent at the state tournament, posting wins of 15-4 and 13-6 in the first two rounds before a superb semifinal bout which he won 22-8. Then, of course, there was the championship match. I have to give a ton of credit to both Demas and Sulzer. They were so evenly matched, either of them really could have won it. Demas was definitely the bigger of the two and he utilized his height advantage, his explosiveness and his mat-savvy to get the hard-fought win. Sulzer, on the other hand, was a lighterweight moving up twenty-two pounds from the previous season while maintaining his slickness and great technique. Since Sulzer was having a great season, too, and won their only head-to-head bout (at Medina), he was the favorite. With Sulzer leading, Demas had a brilliant counter at the end of the match that reversed his fortune. If you haven't seen it, you should. I'd take both Demas and Sulzer on my team any day.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 31, 2009

i think Josh Demas will be a buckeye, alot of talent-- my only reservation is he didnt wrestle competitively this summer, but i know ohio st likes him alot as well they should.

Sulzer stock went WAY UP this summer, 9 & 1 at Disney and his loss was a one pointer to # 1 in nation Peppelman from PA---- then Sulzer took 5th at rugged Fargo Jr ntl freestyle. And btw Sulzer WON NHSCA Juniors at Va Beach in late March. Not a bad last 6 months. He will be well rewarded in the rankings too.

Fact is Sulzer is VERY HUNGRY and right now Sulzer will be higher ranked than Demas on all that he's done since state, should anyone wonder why?. ****In fargo btw Tom Brands asked Dan Fickel about Sulzer. With Nick Sulzer i think VA and Northwestern are up at the top, but i don't know.

Kindig is bad to the bone, and buckeyes are right up there on his favorite list. Will be in IRONMAN again btw, 140 i think. A college 141.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 31, 2009

About Peppelman...
Very polished kid with a slick High C and good all around skills. He tends to lay back on his feet and wait around a bit which got him warned for stalling in both matches I watched. Like Kindig, he's college ready now. Unlike Kindig, he's not constantly on the attack. But there's no denying his skill level. He looks like a future 157.

About Demas...
He's a higher risk/reward type than the three PA guys . He's not as technically mature as Peppelman (or Evans or Kindig) meaning that he's not as ready for D1. He's going to need to get bigger, stronger and much better on the mat. On the other hand, you can't teach speed and his leg attacks and level changes are lightning fast. When I watch Demas, I think a bit of Jordan Burroughs. Get him stronger, keep him in position, and watch him blossom into a star as he matures physically. Also, with Demas you could be looking at a future 174/184. That might impact whether or not the Buckeyes want both him and Evans.

Julie Thomas added to this discussion on August 31, 2009

Just wanted to put in some information. I noticed the critique of Kindig and Evans. I checked on both. But there are more videos of Evans out there. Flo has his name spelled incorrectly so if you type in Evens you get a few more videos. You mentioned he doesn't do much from his feet. The video I found of him at Disney Duals on wrestling addix showed quite the opposite. Seems he trashed a State champ from Michigan. The video is under the tab video and on the tab most popular. He used a lot of foot sweeps etc. He looks everybit a 171 or more on that video. I really don't see him and Demas at the same weight. Just my opinion.

Personally I would like to see Ohio State get all of the boys mentioned. Including the Pa prospects. But as for saying Evans isn't as good, sorry I don't see it. Sure he rides tough and is aggressive but can't say that is a bad thing. I see he is going to Blair and the reputation for a Blair wrestler is very good so it will be to his benefit. It's reported on another site that Brands is recruiting him heavily anyway so maybe he won't come but in my opinion if Brands wants him must be something to him. So let's hope those PA Blue Chips become Buckeye champions.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

Julie: Critiquing the critique, eh?

I watched both Mike Evans and Mike "Evens" although I missed any footsweeps so I must not have watched that match.

All three PA kids are studs. They are all capable of stepping into a D1 lineup and being competitive (not necessarily winning yet but not getting blown out).

Evans, however, lacked the type of leg attacks that I prefer to see. I think what works best on the next level is a slick high C, single or double. His single wasn't pretty although effective on a couple occasions.

As mentioned, he tore his opponents to shreds on the mat which is a great skill for D1. Indeed, when you watch Ohio wrestlers, their first tendency is often to kick out opponents rather than try to ride. Not true for PA guys.

What I liked about Evans in general was his desire to score. You could tell he has a streetfighter mentality (which I'm sure Tom Brands loves). Also, I would have said that Lance Palmer didn't have a slick offensive leg attack several years ago. He's still not pretty to watch in that regard but he is effective in finishing which is all that matters.

As mentioned, take my comments with a grain of salt. And perhaps a shot of vodka.

I am glad this topic is generating interest.

Julie Thomas added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

Not trying to critque you at all great insight. My husband has been watching a few of these Pa kids for some time. He told me about the film on wrestlingaddix.com and to look under the video tab for the most popular and you will find one of his matches.

I just don't want to see us, "Ohio fans" go too negative on a prospective wrestler. Let's face it they all have places to improve upon. Demas for example is very quick but does he have the technical knowledge that some of the others have. Case in point. Before we start picking apart these kids we have to consider that in the room with the likes of Joe Heskett and Tom Ryan and Lou they all will get better at thier weakest parts and improve on thier strenghts.

Frankly I am excited to have all the above mentioned wrestle for Ohio. It is to our advantage as well. We want Ohio to beat Iowa so as for Evans I think I would rather be competing with him on our side then against him or any of the other outstanding wrestlers mentioned. I am looking forward to this group becoming buckeye's. But from another forum I am pretty sure we can rule out Peppelman. Seems he is heading to Cornell.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

Julie: Great comments. I'll have to check our wrestlingaddix more frequently.

You're right to note that all these kids have room for improvement.

Peppelman may well be headed for Cornell but you never know until it's announced.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

Excellent scouting reports. It's easy to find this kind of stuff on football players and such, but it's more difficult to get it for wrestlers, analyzing styles, potential, and all that jazz.

I'm just glad that we're finally able to tap into Pennsylvania. Before the sudden rise of Ohio State in wrestling again, Penn State would be picking away Ohio wrestlers. We just need to continue placing and building a track of excellence that will encourage those elite wrestlers in the wrestling belt to become a Buckeye. I'm also looking forward to building a relationship with Blair Academy. We've already made some connections with St. Edward and Walsh. If we were able to establish something with Blair and finally St. Paris Graham. You're looking at some powerhouse schools and that would be fearsome!

The only concern that's recently come up is not completely locking down Ohio wrestlers. Sure, missing out on some blue chippers has only happened a few times, Ohio has a lot of talented wrestlers, the Buckye's depth chart plays a factor, etc. I'm just curious, is it bad luck? David Taylor, Sam White, and Jamie Clark are all heading out of state. I guess maybe, we can't get them all?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

with only 9.9 to spread among an entire team and with definite weight class needs to fill every year, Ohio st will always miss out on some very good Ohio kids-- always, always.

if we were talking Ohio St football and had 85 fulls, then could always recruit that extra offensive tackle, that extra DB, that extra "athlete" regardless of what position he might end up.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

Good discussion. I think you guys are underselling Demas' technique. Yes, Josh Demas is lightning quick and extremely explosive. That said, he has excellent technique particularly from the nuetral position. I've seen him hit ducks, doubles, ankle picks, and low singles on very high level kids. He also is pretty nasty with the claw/lift on top. I like any of these guys for the Bucks but if it's Evans or Demas, give me Demas. Kindig is the real deal. If he projects at 141 does this mean the Bucks see Paddock as a "career 133" and Palmer as an eventual 149?

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

When it comes to Demas, what is his mat game like? I remember he's got a nice list of takedowns, but I usually saw him cutting people instead of turning.

Julie Thomas added to this discussion on September 1, 2009

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"When it comes to Demas, what is his mat game like? I remember he's got a nice list of takedowns, but I usually saw him cutting people instead of turning."

I am sure he will get better with training and I think you have hit a great point about Demas. Personally my husband is a big fan of Kindig and Evans. Those two are very fun to watch. Can't say we would go wrong with getting them.
But from the information I am getting it seems that the buckeyes are not just going after one or the other they are going after all of the wrestlers listed here. As I said before. Let's get them all and let's win the title.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on September 2, 2009

Here, Here!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next