Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Pierce Harger to Northwestern
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 21, 2009

i am informed by his family that Pierce Harger of Cincinnati Moeller verbaled to Northwestern-- congrats to Pierce, he can be very good at the next level. And Northwestern is a great school with a strong wrestling program, had a NCAA champ the last THREE years in a row.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 21, 2009

and....

Harger went 9 & 1 on Ohio's champion Jr Duals team, and a few days before went 11 & 0 at Disney Duals, great student too. Coach Pariano at Northwestern, who knows talent, thinks Harger will do very well in college wrestling.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on August 21, 2009

Congrats to Pierce and Northwestern. Do not know him personally but have heard good things about him. Good pick up for the Wildcats.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 21, 2009

As a note of accuracy, Harger did not go 9-1 at Junior Duals, but instead went 7-3.
Best wins were over big-school state runners-up in Pat Smith (will be attending Minnesota in the fall) from Minnesota and Kevin Bialka from Illinois.
Only had a questionable loss to Marco DeCaro, and those periods were 7-7/2-2.
The other two losses were to Junior National AA's in a pair of three period matches; Brandon Wilbourn from Missouri, and Brandon Rolnick from New Jersey.

More notably for Harger was his performance in Las Vegas at the Western Regional this past April where he was a double finalist. Finished second in Freestyle, with wins over Rolnick and another Junior AA in Tyler Sheridan of California before losing to Jim Belleville from Washington (JN FS runner-up in 2008 and bound for Wyoming). Champion in Greco despite losing to Jackson Morse from Michigan (verballed to Illinois for fall 2010) along the way.

Harger's undefeated Disney record was in the Community (as opposed to the District) division for those keeping score at home.

There's an article on Harger's commitment to Northwestern on the InterMat front page.

Congrats and best of luck to Pierce.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 22, 2009

Congrats to Mr. Harger. This is a very good signing for Northwestern. they always seem to get one or two Ohio wrestlers, and they always seem to well there (kind of the anti-Penn State, although that may change now). Does anyone know what weight he projects to at the college level?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 22, 2009

i am told Harger 160 this season, so i guess 165.

Northwestern has a great recruiter in asst coach & former Fairview Park Ohio 3X state champ Drew Pariano.

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on August 23, 2009

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/5381

video by Matside
3rd Place Div I 145 lb Announcers Bob Dieli and John Dalton

FA-1 Pierce Harger, Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller, (11), 35-4 (08:I-125-7th, 07:I-119-6th) #4

HD-1 Kevin Drake, Upper Arlington, (12), 50-0 #8

http://www.matsidewithbobdieli.com/index.php?sid=bd84aa4b0c083ff2f7877af257ee20c0&cl=details&anid=97249c6ac69c53ca9.71176203&listtype=search&searchparam=Harger

► Add to the Discussion