Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Congrats Ty Mitch and Jeremy Johnson
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

Both won National Titles in Jr. Freestyle--truly one of the great accomplishments in high school wrestling. Also, nice job Nick Sulzer and James Ingrham who both placed top 8.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

Has Jeremy Johnson commited to wrestle anywhere?

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

He's wrestling at Ohio University this upcoming year.

Bob Preusse and Josh Lowe: Mitch was unranked nationally heading into Fargo. Where does this performance place him?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

A huge congrats to Ty Mitch and Jeremy Johnson for their championships yesterday. Also another big congrats to Kagan Squire, the cadet champ at 119 pounds.

An outstanding finish for both Nick Sulzer (fifth place at 160) and James Ingrham (eighth place at 125) as they clinched All-America honors.

Johnson is indeed going to Ohio University. The Bobcats signed two dynamite kids in Johnson and high school teammate Kyle Lang. Both have All-American potential in my opinion.

Ingrham is going to the State University of New York at Binghamton (commonly known as just "Binghamton"). Pat Costilow pointed out something interesting to me about Ingrham - he's the first-ever Fargo All-American from University School. That's suprising for a school that has produced as much talent as US has (e.g. Tripp, Roche, Mills, Wukie, Hightower and more) but it is also a testament to how good Ingrham really is.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

Hank,
Considering that to win this tournament Mitch had to defeat Missouri's Ryan Mango (a USA Dream Teamer and brother of World Team member Spenser Mango) and Pennsylvania's highly-credentialed Nico Megaludis among all the others, I can't see Mitch not being ranked from now on. He did have one loss at Fargo but I'm not sure that will effect him a great deal considering his wins.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

Hank/Dan:

Mitch did end the 2008-09 season outside the weight class rankings. However, that was more due to the totality of the season then where he was at the end of it.

He was 0-2 against Kagan Squire (who was 18th in the InterMat rankings) during the season, and that also didn't count in the Fargo loss from 2008 to Squire. The 20th kid in the InterMat rankings was Cody Brewer, who defeated Mitch in Fargo 2008 on the way to the Cadet Free title as part of a double title (Brewer slid down due to in-season performance, most notably the loss to Matt Bystol from Illinois right after Christmas). Also had the loss to Jordan (an unranked wrestler) at Ironman, which was subsequently avenged.

You could argue other aspects of the calendar cycle merited a ranking - FILA Cadet with wins over Devin Carter and Edwin Cooper, most notably on the data point side of things.

When it comes to the top 100 recruiting rankings done in June, Mitch was 78th for the Class of 2010. That was prior to any of the summer events (Disney, Cadet/Junior Duals, Fargo, and the Junior Olympics going on this week - most notably).

I haven't pored through everything yet, but my guess-timate is that Mitch would be somewhere outside the top 20 but inside the top 40/50 come the redone rankings in the middle of August (those being national c/o 2010). For weight class rankings, it will depend on how the weight classes project in early November and then subsequently as the season rolls off.

Jeremy Johnson has made a vast improvement over the last two years based on commitment and hard work. He's turned into a legitimate Division I starter at 285 after a redshirt year (which he'll be able to have while a kid like Hartshorn holds down the spot). Ohio University signed another kid that earned All-American honors this year in Fargo (JN FS) in Ryan Garringer from Illinois; finished seventh at 189 pounds. As an FYI, Thomusseit did beat Garringer at Junior Duals if memory serves me right.

I'll be honest and say Inghram's run did surprise me, even if it came from what was the weaker of the two pools. He's part of what is an improving Binghampton program in recent years, especially since they basically got a stay of execution a few year's back with the help of Alec Baldwin. Jimmy Chase also rolls into that program, which earned its first AA in many a year (if ever) this past March.

Cadet Free side - Kagan Squire had a great tournament in winning the Cadet Free title. Greg Kuhar impressed with his AA finish, as he makes his case for being able to make an impact in his sophomore year coming into a depleted 285 weight class in the big-school division.

I thought that overall the Cadet Free team "overachieved" slightly, partly due to capitalization on draws and partly due to just stepping it up.

One of the non-AA's that will be a name to watch this winter is Anthony Collica, an incoming freshman at Solon. He ran into the same two kids that Myers (an AA) lost to - Devos and Whtiford - and wrestled them incredibly close in losing, but just did so by the fifth round instead of later on.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Mitch was unranked nationally heading into Fargo. Where does this performance place him?"

re how AWN does things, editor & i have to sort out who else is at 119 next season? Mitch lost to a hi ranked grad senior Eppert from Indiana which wont hurt, but Mitch won a loaded weight class. Mitch is a 2x state champ and has placed in fargo the last 2 (or maybe 3 years), i know was 4th in cadets last year.

like so many the IRONMAN is his achilles heal, last season Mitch DNP at Ironman 112, what a brutal wt it was. The year before only 7th at 103. It all counts in a national ranking.

But winning JR FR is huge on top of going 10 an 0 at Disney duals a month ago.

119 looks very deep next season nationally maybe incl Devon Carter Ironman champ 112, Jr ntl 2nd at 125-- and maybe Ryak Finch jr national champ 112 from Arizona. Hunter Stieber ?? Ironman 3rd Evan Silver from Blair just won the Macabiah Games in Isreal, for what thats worth how good the comp? but thats where he was this week.

so i don't know, Mitch top 5 in his weight class at least, remember Mitch did have 4 losses last season. And IRONMAN is where it all gets sorted out, so ranking will be incidental until after Ironman.

********AND heres a wild card, Kagan SQUIRE is the Cadet national champ at 119 and beat Mitch in Ironman 3-1 and beat Mitch for cadet 3rd a year ago, so Squire will be higher seed there than Mitch.

A really tough Ironman field: possibly Mitch, Squire, H Stieber, Silver, Jerome Robinson, Mason Beckman from PA, Devin Carter AWN # 1 at 112 last season, Sako, Isaac Jordan. Then add in fact that the top 4 at 103 nationally last season will be there, with maybe 1 or 2 at 119: Brascatta, Mark Grey, Cisneros from Calif, and Gulibon from PA. This field makes mothers weep.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 26, 2009

Bob: it's the last two. Mitch was something like 3-2 in Fargo at 98 after his freshman year.

Bob and Josh: Thanks for the explanations and info. I had a general idea that Ty Mitch was a good wrestler but had no clue he was talented enough to be a Jr freestyle champ. That's impressive.

OU recruited Jeremy Johnson at the right time. His senior year has been sensational. I wonder how he compares to great past heavyweights like Tony Johnson, Dustin Fox and Kirk Nail.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 27, 2009

"I wonder how he compares to great past heavyweights like Tony Johnson, Dustin Fox and Kirk Nail."

Johnson compares very well, great resume in that he has competed everywhere and done well everywhere--- fargo AA last year too-- Ironman champ & Beast 3rd this past season. Third at NHSCA Sr ntls, great resume, never disappoints, always in contention.

one drawback maybe, Johnson not nearly as big as the 3 u mentioned --and as your girlfriends all told u, Hank, size matters.

but Jeremy Johnson maintains great position, is aggressive and loves the sport-- i like him--- so Ohio U got 2 good ones from Brecksville.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on July 27, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Johnson compares very well, great resume in that he has competed everywhere and done well everywhere--- fargo AA last year too-- Ironman champ & Beast 3rd this past season. Third at NHSCA Sr ntls, great resume, never disappoints, always in contention.

one drawback maybe, Johnson not nearly as big as the 3 u mentioned --and as your girlfriends all told u, Hank, size matters.

but Jeremy Johnson maintains great position, is aggressive and loves the sport-- I like him--- so Ohio U got 2 good ones from Brecksville."

I had the opportunity to coach against Jeremy the two seasons (06-07 & 07-08) when I was at Valley Forge. He has gotten beter by leaps and bounds by his 10th grade year. Very good at staying in position and hand fighting.

He also has a gas tank on him and knew going into his state finals match this season that was going to help him be very successful (I also figured he wrestled Meder into the third he would get the "W". Meder did not have the conditioning this season like I had seen at Ironman the previous year.

Jeremy is a solid wrestler with lack of size. He will be a pretty good in college but I do think "AA" might be a stretch. But who knows he does have "heart" which can do some amazing things sometimes

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 27, 2009

Jerry: Can you talk a bit about Meder? Never saw him compete but always heard was very talented. Did he graduate? What are his plans? Was his career as successful as expected or did something hold him back? Just curious.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on July 27, 2009

"Jerry: Can you talk a bit about Meder? Never saw him compete but always heard was very talented. Did he graduate? What are his plans? Was his career as successful as expected or did something hold him back? Just curious."

I had the pleasure of coaching James for roughly five years (Up until his senior year). James was a phenom of a talent in terms of size, strength, and quickness. Great work ethic in the room- off season stuff left something to be desired (but there was also a strong push of football from his father- who also was a football coach- he would do open mats once in while and came to Disney). Good kid and it is nice to have the opportunity to see him go to college.

He is playing football at Ashland and rooming with Tyler Houska. I think if the opportunity was there to wrestle in college with little to no financial obligations he would have went that route. He was recruited by some "major" college programs but financially (hopefully academically) I think Ashland was the best choice for him.

In terms of how successful his career was I think it was very succussful. Two time state placer and three time qualifier at heavyweight. He also was a two time medal winner at Disney.

But on the other side of the coin I do not think he scratched the surface of his ability. I think in the Ironman Finals 2007- you saw the potential. He got pretty sick following that and was out until the conference tournament. He then injured his ankle in the sectional finals. He still made a nice run at State with one leg.

Following the season I got passed over for a teaching job in Parma (end up two teachers that were related to people got the jobs). So I left Valley Forge and for some reason my assistant coach was not brought back by the A.D. (Greg Hartlaub- Baldwin Wallace, 285 OAC Champion). Also Brian Kmetz used to help out as well. This left James with a lack of workout partners this season. This showed in his conditioning I think this past season in close losses to Hamilton and Johnson (he had a 4-0 record against those two previously). But hindsight is 20/20 and he is going to get an education whic his the main thing. I do think he could have been a great college wrestler due to his natural athletic ability.

Jim Mitch added to this discussion on August 17, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"********AND heres a wild card, Kagan SQUIRE is the Cadet national champ at 119 and beat Mitch in Ironman 3-1 and beat Mitch for cadet 3rd a year ago, so Squire will be higher seed there than Mitch."

Bob, don't Ty's two state championships gather him more points than Kagan Squire? Just curious, not that it matters but I was reading seeding criteria and was curious.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next