Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Training for wrestlers
Scott Overholt added to this discussion on July 19, 2009

Here is a link to a 5 exercise circuit. Use light dumbells, pay close attention to body position, proper breathing patterns and correct technique.
Stick to 8-20 reps for 3-5 rounds. Add it to your current routine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB364sIwt4Q

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Overholt added to this discussion on July 28, 2009

Hello,
I would like to inform the wrestling community about my strength training service and invite anyone to train for a week free of charge!
As a wrestler, I was a cadet all american,4 year starter and 1995 graduate of Walsh Jesuit compiling a record of 134-18, 3x state qualifier, 2x finalist, 1x champion as well as Walsh’s first Ironman Champion. I received a full scholarship to Ohio State and represented the Buckeyes at the 1997 Big Ten championships. In 1995 and 1997 I had surgeries repairing my left shoulder and knee which prompted me to learn the safest and most productive forms of exercise.
People I have experience working with include, athletes (tennis to MMA), fitness enthusiasts, severely overweight and de conditioned, to elders that suffer from pain. I constantly study and practice many hard style forms of exercise so I know what works and what works best. It takes a wrestler to train wrestlers.
I believe there are many misconceptions at all levels about how wrestlers should train. Wresters need to train their whole body every time and need to be pushed beyond what they think they can do to increase strength and conditioning. They need to focus on full range of motion, body position, efficient breathing, and correct technique on EVERY SINGLE REP. Currently there is a lack of focus on the most important areas of strength for wrestling 1) grip strength and endurance 2) posterior chain work 3) core strengthening. Just like in wrestling, technique in strength training is the basis of success. It is my job to constantly coach, correct and motivate on every single rep. I also educate wrestlers on proper diet and nutrition. I can tell you more about it but why waste time. Try it for free!
I am located just west of Rt 8 in Akron. Please call or email me if you have questions or would like to get started.
Ex wrestlers- are you in pain? Need to drop a few pounds or reclaim some muscle?
I can help.

Thanks,
Scott Overholt 330-212-1947 scottoverholt@hotmail.com

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on July 28, 2009

Anyone reading the above post, Scott lives what he preaches. Unlike some doctors that smoke two packs a day and tell you to quit or an overweight guy telling you to loose a few pounds. Scott is in shape and knows his stuff. I’ve worked with him before and he is great with high school aged athletes in particular.

Scott Overholt added to this discussion on September 16, 2009

Here is a 5 exercise Kettlebell circuit designed for wrestlers.
http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/show/id/235594-Overholt-Kettlebell-Training

AWC open mats are Tues, Wed, Thurs, 6:15- 8:15 , Sun 1:15-3:00
Myself, Coach Gary, and Coach Marchette are currently training wrestlers and will be coaching at the super 32 for those interested . Here are some clips from this past Sunday's workout to give you an idea of what to expect.
http://www.gohiocasts.com/event/main/show/id/235595-Akron-Wrestling-Club-Workout

► Add to the Discussion