Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Congrats Ohio Jr Freestyle Squad
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 28, 2009

Not only did they win but convincingly over a tough NJ team. Hunter Stieber, Logan Stieber, David Taylor, Cam Tessari, Jeremy Johnson, Ryan Taylor and Jerome Robinson all went undefeated in ten duals. Only Brian Spanger, 5-5, at 105 (no shame in that at all) didn't finish at least 7-3 for Ohio squad. Great work by the coaches and wrestlers.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 28, 2009

Small correction: Ryan Taylor went 9-1 losing to kid from MN.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 29, 2009

David Habat fills in for the injured Ryan Lang and goes 7-3. Pierce Harger flies in straight from the Disney Duals and goes 7-3. Logan Erb, projected as a "hole" in the lineup at 215, goes 8-2. No hole there.

Logan Stieber's two Monroeville teammates, Cam Tessari and Hunter Stieber match him as undefeated.

The nation's top senior, David Taylor, with a target on his back, staves off his challengers.

Is it true that Felipe Martinez has no previous freestyle experience to speak of? A bit of a story there, if true.

And then there is Jerome Robinson who seems to continue to grow as a wrestler. What college will get him?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 29, 2009

Steve: I didn't know all these background stories. Great stuff. I think one huge reason for this team's success is the staff that coached them. It's important to have our best coaches running these squads. I tend to feel that CSU missed a prime opportunity by not considering Erik Burnett for their head coaching position.

Monroeville wrestlers continue one of the most amazing chapters in Ohio hs wrestling history. They went a combined 30-0 at one of the toughest events in the country. Logan Stieber was probably expected to win all his matches but Hunter and Tessari? Probably not.

Jerome Robinson will draw a lot more college attention off his performance esp. from any program looking to sign a career 125 in November. As to whether or not it's the Buckeyes, I think a lot depends on what happens between them and Jamie Clark. I could see Jerome Robinson being heavily recruited by OU as well as some of the Va schools.

Cam Tessari may gain the most from this event. He has been slightly overlooked of the Big Four yet keeps serving notice that he's a sterling talent in his own right.

Bucksman: You seemed to feel this was NJ's tourney to win. What were the biggest surprises in the finals match in your opinion?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 29, 2009

"I tend to feel that CSU missed a prime opportunity by not considering Erik Burnett for their head coaching position."

Hank,
yes, as my long-time good friend & super college coach Tom Borrelli told me once, "The best wrestling coaches in the country are HIGH SCHOOL coaches."

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on June 29, 2009

The Ohio team that went there to Oklahoma was loaded. Looking at that middle of the lineup was like a murderer's row. It has been a long time since that kind of talent has been assembled from Ohio.

Martinez for not having wrestled freestyle did really well especially against some of the seasoned freestyle veterans. Same goes for Neibert he just ran into some really tough freestyle wrestlers.

Taylor and Stieber did exactly what I thought they would do not really have close matches. I think Stieber had one with Morrison and Taylor had a closer one with Villalonga.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on June 29, 2009

I don't know if Erb was truly "tested" on the weekend, though he had three wins over credentialed (to some extent) opposition. Had he faced more opposition like Jon Becker, it would have been a problem though. Either way, I thought his performance was a refreshing positive.

I thought Tessari had the breakthrough performance of an Ohio kid this weekend. Undefeated with wins over Osterman (MSU recruit), Chris Dardanes (former FILA Cadet AA), Lexvold (GR champ out of MN), and Buxton (Harvard signee) in particular. Of the big names, he concerned me the most coming in -- but it was not to be.

Where else - short of Fargo - can you face three opponents the caliber that Felipe did in a competitively relevenat situation? Nick Dardanes, Frank Cagnina, David Thorn. Three state champs, two of them mult-time state champs. Elite wrestlers all. Losing to all three is just a growth opportunity for a wrestler like Felipe with three years to go.

Neibert was up three weights from the season, and up a weight from where originally planned for the Duals. The struggling was kind of expected to some extent - either him or Tessari was going to have to face this situation.

NJ dual keys came in the first nine matches of the dual meet.
-Won four of the five somewhat tossup matches, two of those with shutout margins (Robinson over Deutsch, Stieber over Silver, Tessari over Buxton, and Taylor over Villalonga; Martinez lost to Cagnina)
-NJ went 135-145 with Buxton, Ormsbee, Villalonga and ended up 1-2. They were hoping for a sweep. I feel very confident that they go 2-1 if they went Ormsbee, Villalonga, Reger.

A broader key in that dual meet was how we lost and how we won.
-Ohio only had one loss by fall and two other shutout losses
-New Jerey, excluding the forfeit, had two losses by fall and four others by shutout

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 29, 2009

Thanks Josh.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 30, 2009

Josh,

Minor correction. Ohio didn't give up a fall to NJ. No biggie.

In your 135 to 145 scenario, NJ realistically could have netted a 6 point swing (Ormsbee beats Tessari but no shutout--and no guarantee that Tessari doesn't prevail anyway, the way he had been wrestling, and Villalonga and Taylor register shutout TFs). It wouldn't have been enough for them, but would have made it much more exciting for fans awaiting results. Especially those of us who didn't realize that NJ had been forfeiting 285 all along because of a concussion suffered many matches earlier.

Anyone else wish they could have been there?

► Add to the Discussion