Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The Value Of Running
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on June 28, 2009

I noticed that J Jaggers had an excellent time in the Ray Mendoza Memorial 5k, and I wondered if there were other wrestlers out there that could run some distance at a respectable pace.

Someone on the mat forums posted something about the value of running for wrestlers, and the consensus seemed to be that running was not valuable for them. Some felt it was actually detrimental.

I'm a middle-aged ultramarathoner, so I run long miles, but I wanted to pose this question to the Ohio wrestling community. Do you feel that running helps the wrestler? Dan Gable ran a lot, and it seemed to work for him. Jack Cuvo was a great wrestler and a great runner.

I'd like to hear what Rex Holman and his group did back in the day at OSU, too. I know they hit the weights hard (I wish I had saved the stories Rex posted about those workouts,) but was running included, too?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 28, 2009

I wasn't much of a wrestler (compared to the type we talk about on this forum) but ran some 5K's in the 17 minute range.

I think distance running can be a good training tool for wrestlers esp. weight control but it's aerobic conditioning. Wrestling is more of a sprint (anaerobic).

Scott Overholt added to this discussion on June 28, 2009

Wrestlers shouldn't run much distance at the same pace. Its not bad for grapplers, wrestlers and fighters to do distance running but they must cycle between sprinting and jogging to get maximum results if training for 1- 5 minute periods. Long distance or long periods of running places a tremendous amount of stress on the ankles, knees, hips and lower back which can do more harm than good ( may be one of the reasons for gables multiple joint replacements). The best way to run is with minimal footware or barefooted- this forces you to run a different more careful way which places the stress on the muscles not the joints. Barefoot training is also very benificial not only to joint health but it also improve balance and coordination by working stabilization muscles from the feet up. There are 20 muscles in the foot that go untrained with shoes.

Brad Perkins added to this discussion on June 28, 2009

Cross-country is an excellent choice for wrestlers to get involved in in the fall. The athletes will enter the wrestling season already in decent shape. Cross-country teams also do quite a bit of speed work which is beneficial to wrestlers. Being involved in various sports will also help any wrestler who could be in danger of being ineligible for the wrestling season as their grades must be kept up during the fall season.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 28, 2009

Scott: I've never heard the "20 untrained muscles thanks to shoes" bit. Thank you very much. Hell, I didn't even know the foot had 20 muscles!!!

Also, Cross Country (which should be retitled because, let's face it, they're not exactly going across the country <insert some type of face here but thanks to DC it can't happen!>) football AND soccer are viable options to preseason running.

► Add to the Discussion