Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Article on Cody Magrum from the Columbus Dispatch
Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on June 22, 2009

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/06/22/OSU_wrestling_21.ART_ART_06-22-09_C6_99E8IS8.html?sid=101

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on June 22, 2009

They mention Paddock and Palmer competing for the 133 spot? That has to be a typo, Palmer would not make it down to 133 he is way to big. Let him RS and then take over 149.

Does Triggas make it back down to 125 next year. He has been up at 132 for Greco, and heard rumors he had a hard time keeping it down last year as well.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 22, 2009

So if Triggas does indeed move up to 133, Bo Touris will be the likely man filling in at 125? I definitely agree, no way does Palmer ever make 133, or even 141 like some have thought. Collin has always been bigger at every high school grade than Lance. I'd suspect at the very least he'd be 149.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 22, 2009

I wonder though, if Magrum is at 210, if everyone has the size just slide everyone up a weight class after Pucillo and Rella depart (i.e. Heflin - 184, Sponseller -174, Nemec - 165, then either C. Palmer or Kusar at 157), then Magrum could just be a career 197. But maybe I'm just over estimating how much these guys can put on. Of course this is discounting any blue chippers we bring in from the next recruiting cycle. Thoughts?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2009

Nick: Interesting query. My guess is that we'll see someone like Max Thomusseit or Mike Evans or Max Huntley added to the Logan Stieber class. And it gets really interesting if the Bucks can get Jamie Clark as well. You'll have quality depth throughout most of the lineup and some good wrestlers will not be starting. That would be a nice situation.

I think Nemec could probably move up but Sponseller doesn't look like a big 165. I can't see him at 174.

As to Triggas, I think he stays at 125 for at least one more year. Reece Hump looked lethargic his soph year at 133, worked hard to control his weight, and finished second in the nation. Reading between the lines of comments made by Coach Ryan, it sounds like Triggas needs to do a better job of staying on top of his cut. Easy comment from the "cheap seats"--I know.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 23, 2009

Yeah, I remember when Colt and Sean came in, it was proposed that Colt might grow a bit more into 174, but that doesn't qute look like it's going to happen.

But yes, we do need to reinforce 125 since it's not quite panning out how we'd all hoped. It's always tough bringing in blue chip lightweights and hoping they'll stay at that weight all 4 years. But we'll see, maybe Triggas will take a quantum leap up in performance with weight and his all around game.

It does make me wonder who we'll be looking to bring in with the 2010 class. Logan Stieber will come in and represent anywhere from 125-133 his freshmen year if he doesn't redshirt. The wrestlers you mentioned will all be fine additions, although I'm not too well versed on who Mike Evans is. Thomusseit or Huntley would FINALLY open up a Graham or Blair connection with the #1 and #2 teams for the next couple of years.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2009

Evans is a PA stud 171 from last year. I think he transferred to Blair for his senior year. Evans had to miss last year's PA state meet due to some sort of discipline issue; I don't recall what it was although it sounded more silly than anything.

Triggas has good skills on top but his bottom has never been too good and he's not fluid on his feet. In high school, he used that tip/firemans and variations off an over-tie with great success. He's never been a classic leg attack wrestler. The stuff he's best at from neutral tends to be the offense that most helps him in greco. Still, Keaton Anderson was a similar wrestler--great on top but not a stud on his feet. It wasn't until his senior season that he really developed into a top flite D1 wrestler. He picked up some great counter skills (probably from Mitch Clark) and went to an elbow post single leg that worked brilliantly as his opponents tired. My hope is that Triggas can find offense that works for him as well. As Anderson proved, some guys take longer than others to find what works for them. FWIW, Anderson finished 6th at Nationals; he might have won it if he hadn't suffered a terrible knee injury at Big Tens.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on June 24, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Evans is a PA stud 171 from last year. I think he transferred to Blair for his senior year. Evans had to miss last year's PA state meet due to some sort of discipline issue; I don't recall what it was although it sounded more silly than anything.

Triggas has good skills on top but his bottom has never been too good and he's not fluid on his feet. In high school, he used that tip/firemans and variations off an over-tie with great success. He's never been a classic leg attack wrestler. The stuff he's best at from neutral tends to be the offense that most helps him in greco. Still, Keaton Anderson was a similar wrestler--great on top but not a stud on his feet. It wasn't until his senior season that he really developed into a top flite D1 wrestler. He picked up some great counter skills (probably from Mitch Clark) and went to an elbow post single leg that worked brilliantly as his opponents tired. My hope is that Triggas can find offense that works for him as well. As Anderson proved, some guys take longer than others to find what works for them. FWIW, Anderson finished 6th at Nationals; he might have won it if he hadn't suffered a terrible knee injury at Big Tens."

I think you're confusing Evans with Ruth. Ruth transferred to Blair, won the Iron Man and signed with PSU. Evans is from Cumberland Valley HS, and was suspended from school and had to miss the PA state tourney this year after winning the Beast and being ranked #1 at 171 in the state all year. I believe he comitted to Lehigh?(but I'm too lazy to check)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 24, 2009

Hank not confused, according to reliable reports Mike Evans will wr for Blair his senior year, same as Ed Ruth did.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on June 24, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Hank not confused, according to reliable reports Mike Evans will wr for Blair his senior year, same as Ed Ruth did."

didn't know that, thanks. I checked, and I was thinking of Napoli, from the same school that's going to Lehigh.

And no offense, Hank. :)

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 24, 2009

"Nick: Interesting query. My guess is that we'll see someone like Max Thomusseit or Mike Evans or Max Huntley added to the Logan Stieber class. And it gets really interesting if the Bucks can get Jamie Clark as well. You'll have quality depth throughout most of the lineup and some good wrestlers will not be starting. That would be a nice situation.

I think Nemec could probably move up but Sponseller doesn't look like a big 165. I can't see him at 174.

As to Triggas, I think he stays at 125 for at least one more year. Reece Hump looked lethargic his soph year at 133, worked hard to control his weight, and finished second in the nation. Reading between the lines of comments made by Coach Ryan, it sounds like Triggas needs to do a better job of staying on top of his cut. Easy comment from the "cheap seats"--I know."

Hank, depth might be a good situation for the coaches, but not necessarily for the wrestlers who never/rarely/seldom get to compete. Ohio State certainly not the only school, and wrestling is certainly not the only sport, that is guilty of some degree of over-recruiting. All athletes need to beware of this possibility.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2009

Gary: as the saying goes...You pay your money, you take your chances. Ohio State doesn't have the money to overrecruit--there are only 9.9 scholarships to offer. The wrestlers who join the squad obviously have confidence that with hard work and improvement they'll eventually become major contributors. Let's look at this list: Dave Crowley, Pat Harrington, John Hiles, Garrett Henry, Tony Jameson, Collin Palmer, Bo Touris, Jared Kusar, Tommy Pendleton, Pat Walsh. Every kid just mentioned had an amazing hs career. Some were state champs; some won national titles; some were state tourney MVPs. And not one of them looks likely to start next season. Have they made a mistake? Or do they all see themselves as eventual starters who will have to keep working to make the lineup? Isn't that how you develop character--by overcoming challenges? Isn't the very quality that made Gable's Iowa squads so incredible the level of competition within the room itself?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on June 24, 2009

I think we're underestimating Keaton's performance level prior to his senior year. Couple of things happened.
(1) Moved up in weight, which seems to work out a lot for kids in college
(2) Was healthy up to the last month of the year. Injuries had been a significant detriment in his early college career.
(3) He did get to the tournament (NCAA) and win matches.

I remember him being a functional college wrestler, better than where Triggas is right now if you ask me.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 25, 2009

"Gary: as the saying goes...You pay your money, you take your chances. Ohio State doesn't have the money to overrecruit--there are only 9.9 scholarships to offer. The wrestlers who join the squad obviously have confidence that with hard work and improvement they'll eventually become major contributors. Let's look at this list: Dave Crowley, Pat Harrington, John Hiles, Garrett Henry, Tony Jameson, Collin Palmer, Bo Touris, Jared Kusar, Tommy Pendleton, Pat Walsh. Every kid just mentioned had an amazing hs career. Some were state champs; some won national titles; some were state tourney MVPs. And not one of them looks likely to start next season. Have they made a mistake? Or do they all see themselves as eventual starters who will have to keep working to make the lineup? Isn't that how you develop character--by overcoming challenges? Isn't the very quality that made Gable's Iowa squads so incredible the level of competition within the room itself?"

They might all feel that someday they will become major contributors, but the simple truth is they won't all contribute. The math of the situation tells you that. Only 10 spots, and no substitutions, tells you that.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 25, 2009

Keaton Anderson has been mentioned, i must tell this story. The big thing his senior year Keaton Anderson he FINALLY got to the right wt !! Took him to his senior year to get there.

Keaton FINALLY was at the right wt his senior year, 157, at NCAAs in Kansas City 2003-- up from 141 his first 2 years and 149 his junior year. Keaton was so built, so muscular he couldnt and didnt need to cut much wt, he was cutting into muscle imo at those lower wts.

RussH had no luck that year either. Tommy Rowlands hurt ankle very badly in semis--- he and a healthy Keaton would have been favorites to get to finals. Tommy would have been underdog to Mocco in finals, but a healthy Keaton would have been the favorite definitely.

i recall Keaton's COURAGE, it happened right in front of my seat, 15 feet in front of me-- after heartbreaking 1 point loss to Ryan Bertin on one leg in semis, he wrestled back, and ended up wrestling for 5th vs N illinois kid.

The Ref a couple times asked Keaton if he wanted to continue the match-- something never seen-- and Keaton said yes, but he was in such excruciating PAIN it made me cringe.

Keaton lost that match but he was all man--- the N Illinois kid embraced him afterwards. I recall Ohio st asst Miron puting his arm around Keaton as they left the mat and walked out of the arena. Keaton truly gave all he had, but it wasnt meant to be.

Keaton gave the Buckeyes the best 6th they ever got from a wrestler. He was ranked # 1 the last half of the season until hurt badly at Big Tens, but he fought like a lion for that 6th. ----- Ryan Bertin won that NCAA, his first of 2 and he deserved to win it, but Keaton was deprived of his great shot at it by fate.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next