Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: J Jaggers named The Ohio State University's "Male Athlete of the Year"
Greg Debbe added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=3750772

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: J Jaggers named The Ohio State University's "Male Athlete of the Year"
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

Shine when the lights are on!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

I have to say I'm a little surprised by this just because of his lackluster record during the regular season. Congrats to J, though.

You're right Ben. Why give a 2x NCAA wrestling champ an honor? Wasn't there some football player that deserved it more?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

Ben, the lesson to be learned from this is to never, EVER even slightly appear to be critical of anything Ohio State does, says, or is even remotely related to Ohio State.

Nothing personal Hank, I am sure others will pile on Ben as well for the very reason I gave. It is just how it is here. If anyone knows, I do.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

Ya know Gary your act is growing old... really. The poor pitiful Wolverine stuck here in Ohio amongst all the OSU homers.

I have lived and worked in Michigan, and there are plenty of UM honks there. Every time you play the "OSU homer" card when it is unwarranted, you discredit yourself and your arguments.

Please, since you believe this website and it's posters suck so badly visit this one instead!

http://www.michigangrappler.com/

Not really true, Gary. Go back to early March and read my diatribe about the Bucks performance at Big Tens.

As to Jaggers, my point would be that no one cares about the regular season if you win the title. If Jags had gone 35-1 but his loss was in the finals, he never would have been named male athlete of the year. But he put together a superb tournament when it mattered most. In fact he did it two years in a row. He's only the third wrestler at Ohio State to accomplish it which gives some sense of how remarkably hard it is to do. I think Ben was just raising a point--and I probably came down on him harder than intended--sarcastically--but the regular season just doesn't matter if you win the title. Nor does it matter much if you don't win it. For better or worse, it's championships that count and Jaggers proved remarkably adept at winning them.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

What I'm saying is that I'm surprised that in all of the varsity sports they field, I'm surprised there wasn't someone else who also won an NCAA title and had a much more dominant year en route.

I'm not bashing the decision, and I really don't know if there is anyone with much of an argument, I'm just surprised at it given how big and successful tOSU's athletic department is.

Again, congrats to J on this honor.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

Well done, J Jaggers.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

J brings two NCAA titles plus a great All-Academic record for good measure. Ben says "I'm surprised there wasn't someone else who also won an NCAA title and had a much more dominant year en route." What other OSU male athlete last year was an NCAA champ?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 18, 2009

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"J brings two NCAA titles plus a great All-Academic record for good measure. Ben says "I'm surprised there wasn't someone else who also won an NCAA title and had a much more dominant year en route." What other OSU male athlete last year was an NCAA champ?"

I doubt there were many 3x AA's either.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 19, 2009

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"J brings two NCAA titles plus a great All-Academic record for good measure. Ben says "I'm surprised there wasn't someone else who also won an NCAA title and had a much more dominant year en route." What other OSU male athlete last year was an NCAA champ?"

I doubt there were many 3x AA's either."

Probably not, but I would not think that is relevant. Isn't this an award for the top athlete in the 2008-2009 school year and not a lifetime acheivement award?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 19, 2009

Excellent recognition to a much deserved athlete.

Very impressive list of athletes who are great at what they do.

Bickering is stupid, but the stuff of what message boards are made

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on July 1, 2009

I had a brief chat with J prior to this year's finals match. He had quite a few insightful things to say as he was getting himself ready to go. I asked him to autograph my hat of champions (only Buckeye champions have signed it, along with Dana White). His inscription read simply "F November". In other words, nobody cares what you do in November. The best legacy you can leave is a championship when it counts, albeit State, Big Tens, NCAAs, or the Olympic games.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 1, 2009

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"I had a brief chat with J prior to this year's finals match. He had quite a few insightful things to say as he was getting himself ready to go. I asked him to autograph my hat of champions (only Buckeye champions have signed it, along with Dana White). His inscription read simply "F November". In other words, nobody cares what you do in November. The best legacy you can leave is a championship when it counts, albeit State, Big Tens, NCAAs, or the Olympic games."

"F November". Verrrrry eloquent. :)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next