Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Congrats to Academic All-Americans Jaggers and Morrison!
Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on June 5, 2009

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsite/news/09-06-04/NWCA_Releases_2009_Division_I_All-Academic_Team.aspx

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 5, 2009

A 3.44 in mathematics for Morrison. That is spectacular. Congrats to him and Jaggers.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 5, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"A 3.44 in mathematics for Morrison. That is spectacular. Congrats to him and Jaggers."

Wow, Keith Sulzer has a 3.5 at Northwestern in Industrial Engineering. That is highly impressive. Other Ohioans on here are Vince Didona of CMU(3.31 in business), Casey Thome of Army (3.52 in management), and Steve Luke with a 3.35 in biology at Michigan. Congratulations to all of these guys.

How about Nick Amuchastegui with a 3.928 in mechanical engineering at Cornell. Holy cow!

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on June 5, 2009

Amaschategui is at Stanford. But either way a 3.9-plus at those institutions is crazy good (as it would be at any institution).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 6, 2009

Sorry...but Jarrod King made the list with a 3. in phys ed. I think the NWCA needs to do a better job distinguishing between an NCAA champ getting B's in Gym vs guys getting better grades in very tough majors.

I'm pleased Ohio guys did so well---Luke, Sulzer, Morrison and Jags.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on June 6, 2009

"Sorry...but Jarrod King made the list with a 3. in phys ed. I think the NWCA needs to do a better job distinguishing between an NCAA champ getting B's in Gym vs guys getting better grades in very tough majors.

I'm pleased Ohio guys did so well---Luke, Sulzer, Morrison and Jags."

Hank I usually agree with many of your posts and opinions but this one rubbed me the wrong way.

I agree I would not settle for B's as well- but being a PHYSICAL EDUCATOR much like some other coaches in/ from the area (Tony Digiovanni, Marc Enie, Kyle Bentley, Zeb Miller, Chris Finowski, Brian Marcelli). I would have to disagree that our accomplishments in the classroom do not count- this is our chosen profession- and if we do well in courses such as anatomy, exercise physiology, kinesiology, biology, and many education courses (I had to bust my butt in some of these courses along with the physical therapy, athletic trainers, premed, and nursing majors as well- funny the professors did not give the Physical Education majors a free pass). We do not deserve credit/ recognition because we chose a career that we find interesting and want to benefit students to live healthy and active lifestyles???

GYM is the location where Physical Education takes place.

Jerry: I'm ok with your criticism. I was somewhat tongue-in-cheek with my post. No offense meant to gym teachers or gym majors. I'm sure there's an art to doing it well--like anything else.

I meant to say phys ed teachers.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 8, 2009

Quote from Jerry Des Forges's post:

"

"Sorry...but Jarrod King made the list with a 3. in phys ed. I think the NWCA needs to do a better job distinguishing between an NCAA champ getting B's in Gym vs guys getting better grades in very tough majors.

I'm pleased Ohio guys did so well---Luke, Sulzer, Morrison and Jags."

Hank I usually agree with many of your posts and opinions but this one rubbed me the wrong way.

I agree I would not settle for B's as well- but being a PHYSICAL EDUCATOR much like some other coaches in/ from the area (Tony Digiovanni, Marc Enie, Kyle Bentley, Zeb Miller, Chris Finowski, Brian Marcelli). I would have to disagree that our accomplishments in the classroom do not count- this is our chosen profession- and if we do well in courses such as anatomy, exercise physiology, kinesiology, biology, and many education courses (I had to bust my butt in some of these courses along with the physical therapy, athletic trainers, premed, and nursing majors as well- funny the professors did not give the Physical Education majors a free pass). We do not deserve credit/ recognition because we chose a career that we find interesting and want to benefit students to live healthy and active lifestyles???

GYM is the location where Physical Education takes place."

This is a very good post. PE in college is NOTHING like PE in high school. And if we are going to differentiate by major then we should by school as well. A given GPA might mean (much) less at OSU or Kent than at Stanford, Cornell, Michigan, etc.
Both of these can be a very slippery slope.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 10, 2009

Gary: I don't mind you taking exception with my comments regarding gym but to then state that GPA's might mean less at one school than another is a complete contradiction. First this MICHIGAN grad recognizes that Ohio State has become a much more selective university in terms of admissions requirements. When are you going to stop ignoring this fact and pretend it's still a place that accepts any high school grad? Secondly, so much depends on the nature of the major. Is an English major at Stanford with a 3.3 at the same level as a pre-med student at Kent with a 4.0? You imply not. But just as there are only modest differences between most state place wrestlers in Ohio, regardless of division, or, at least, we can agree that all are talented...the same is true of high achieving students. Kids who bust their butt academically are a lot more similar than different. You might try opening your mind a bit rather than accepting as dogma those beliefs that serve to prop you up personally.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 10, 2009

"Gary: I don't mind you taking exception with my comments regarding gym but to then state that GPA's might mean less at one school than another is a complete contradiction. First this MICHIGAN grad recognizes that Ohio State has become a much more selective university in terms of admissions requirements. When are you going to stop ignoring this fact and pretend it's still a place that accepts any high school grad? Secondly, so much depends on the nature of the major. Is an English major at Stanford with a 3.3 at the same level as a pre-med student at Kent with a 4.0? You imply not. But just as there are only modest differences between most state place wrestlers in Ohio, regardless of division, or, at least, we can agree that all are talented...the same is true of high achieving students. Kids who bust their butt academically are a lot more similar than different. You might try opening your mind a bit rather than accepting as dogma those beliefs that serve to prop you up personally."

Hank, certainly that was a bit of a generalization. I suppose you cannot say that every student at Michigan is better than every student at Ohio State, just like not everyone at Northwestern is better than everyone at Penn State or every Yankee is better than every National. But there is a reason that some schools outrank others, just like some teams finish ahead of others. There are reasons for this.

Not trying to prop myself up, no need to. I only mentioned Michigan in this because it has a prominent wrestling program, but notice I also mentioned other schools that in broad terms what I said applies to. There are a number of variables to this, as there are to most things, but there is no question that some schools are more demanding than others and GPAs at some schools are harder to attain than at others. I just don't see any question about that.

And let's be honest, I was much less derogatory to Ohio State in my post than you were to PE majors in yours.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 10, 2009

I took a cheap shot at PE teachers because of my gym experience. It struck me as incredibly easy to let kids play dodge ball or basketball or swim. As I mentioned, I'm sure there's an art to doing it well. But--if we're being truly honest--it strikes me as ridiculous that gym teachers make the same salary as those teaching academics. In addition, as a former coach, I never understood why athletes had to take gym. Wouldn't it make sense to allow kids that work out every day as part of a sport to use gym period as a study hall?

More to the point--given the obesity levels in our society, why not use gym to teach kids how to work out? I'd much rather see phy. ed used as a course that instructs kids in how to exercise (with an emphasis on cardio work and light weight training) and eat properly than a class to play soccer or softball or whatever other game is played.

I will now step off my soapbox...

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on June 10, 2009

I would assume that every student at Northwestern is better than Penn State!

"I took a cheap shot at PE teachers because of my gym experience. It struck me as incredibly easy to let kids play dodge ball or basketball or swim. As I mentioned, I'm sure there's an art to doing it well. But--if we're being truly honest--it strikes me as ridiculous that gym teachers make the same salary as those teaching academics. In addition, as a former coach, I never understood why athletes had to take gym. Wouldn't it make sense to allow kids that work out every day as part of a sport to use gym period as a study hall?

More to the point--given the obesity levels in our society, why not use gym to teach kids how to work out? I'd much rather see phy. ed used as a course that instructs kids in how to exercise (with an emphasis on cardio work and light weight training) and eat properly than a class to play soccer or softball or whatever other game is played.

I will now step off my soapbox..."

I find paying PE and Science teachers the say salary far more acceptable than paying college coaches faaaaar more than Nobel Prize winning professors, or any other professor for that matter. I have come to understand that I really don't understand the "logic" in a lot of what goes on.

Quote from Marlo Stanfield's post:

"I would assume that every student at Northwestern is better than Penn State!"

Frankly, I do too but I figured I would be crucifed and labeled an academic elitist if I said that. :)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next