Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Them's Fightin' Words
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 3, 2009

Lifted from the most recent Kent State Wrestling Newsletter:

"WERE IS OHIO STATE...
After many calls, emails and text messages to coach Tom Ryan at Ohio St. I guess
they have decided that we are not worthy of them wrestling us...I have reminded him
how competitive the last 4 matches have been, that it is supposed to be our home
meet and we could get 3500+ plus fans and that the state of Ohio deserves this
match every year!!! So, I am very sorry to report to our fans that Ohio State will
not wrestle us in 2009-2010 season!!!"

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 3, 2009

This is really disappointing. The Ohio State vs Kent dual is one of the greatest opportunities for Ohio fans to watch some of their best go at it. The dual is always in Ohio (less traveling) and it's great for families who can't travel out to Las Vegas or Southern Scuffle or some of the Big 10 or Mac duals.

Not to mention that this match is becoming very competitive...

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 3, 2009

You have to love this from Andrassy. As Ohioans and OSU fans, we all know that it can be PR suicide to challenge OSU in the Buckeye state.

He doesn't mind, though, which is cool.

Dom Mancini added to this discussion on June 3, 2009

Would seem like they would want to continue the match - anyone know why Ohio State is nixing it?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

The same thing is currently taking place between Michigan and CMU as Joe Mcfarland has not rescheduled a match with the Chippewas. If I had to guess...and I hate to say it....the more "established" powerhouses probably feel they have more to lose in terms of recruiting. I had a great time at the Kent v OSU match a few years ago at Kent. There was a large crowd and I got to watch a fantastic match between Colt Sponseller and Kurt Gross.

Tom Ryan always talks about promoting wrestling in the state. How then does he justify not continuing this rivalry? Boo.

Aaron Gibson added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

Below is a link on FLO...Andrassy basically calls out Tom Ryan and Ohio State. Very interesting interview to say the least.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/speaker/212-andrassy-jim

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The same thing is currently taking place between Michigan and CMU as Joe Mcfarland has not rescheduled a match with the Chippewas. If I had to guess...and I hate to say it....the more "established" powerhouses probably feel they have more to lose in terms of recruiting. I had a great time at the Kent v OSU match a few years ago at Kent. There was a large crowd and I got to watch a fantastic match between Colt Sponseller and Kurt Gross.

Tom Ryan always talks about promoting wrestling in the state. How then does he justify not continuing this rivalry? Boo."

If he responds at all I doubt if it will be with anything very meaningful. Seriously, what can he say? "We are afraid of losing?"

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen-- i see posters on here jumping to conclusions based on their limited knowledge about this situation.

perhaps there is more to it, another side to the story, more factors to consider ?? --- i myself don't know, but am posing that question. Not jumping to conclusions.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

How dare you not jump to conclusions!?!?! It's only the message board thing to do!!! And you call yourself a poster... tsk, tsk.

Now, I say... I bet Cael Sanderson would! Off with tNDG's head!!!!!!!!!

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

I didn't see many "conclusions", just some questions.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Lifted from the most recent Kent State Wrestling Newsletter:

"WERE IS OHIO STATE...
After many calls, emails and text messages to coach Tom Ryan at Ohio St. I guess
they have decided that we are not worthy of them wrestling us...I have reminded him
how competitive the last 4 matches have been, that it is supposed to be our home
meet and we could get 3500+ plus fans and that the state of Ohio deserves this
match every year!!! So, I am very sorry to report to our fans that Ohio State will
not wrestle us in 2009-2010 season!!!""

Was the misspelled word (were instead of where) lifted as well? :)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

I don't see why this is a big deal. I mean, I get why it's a big deal to Kent. An Ohio Satte match is a win/win situation for them. Just having tOSU on the schedule helps legitimize their program. It's a recruiting tool for local talent, and every few years they'll lose a close one or even sneak out w a win. Even losing the dual doens't hurt Kent as much as it helps them from a recruiting and visibility standpoint.

With that in mind, why would you take the bait if your coach Ryan? I get that it promotes College wrestling in Ohio, and it does it in recruiting rich Northeast Ohio area, but you're promoting Kent as much or more than you're promoting Ohio State. And, the way college wrestling is, it's not out of the relm of possibility that Kent beats Ohio State once in a while. A good coacg can steal a Blue-chipper or two with that situation.

There's just no upside for the Buckeyes. They'd do just as well to schedule Clarion or any number of second tier PA schools.

Tom Ryan's job is to make Ohio State wrestling the best in the nation. Wrestling Kent in a dual, while nice for fans, does very little to advance that singular goal. When he first got the job, it was all about promotion. Now he's an established winner at the National level. Ryan is smart not take this match at this stage in his program's growth.

I maintain that the only mistake that Coach Ryan has made during his tenure in Columbus is not red-shirting Sponseller as a freshman.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

Good competition makes you better. Everyone agrees on that. Whether its in the room or at KSU, it doesn't matter. This should happen on many levels.

If this was the KSU of a few years ago it may do OSU little good. Now, their talent is right there. In my opinion losing to a school like Clarion (if they lost) would be far worse than dropping one to this KSU team.

I also don't think OSU would lose. Iowa doesn't just wrestle ISU; they take on Northern Iowa and the like. If you're the Big Dog you don't worry about the puppies. This looks bad, in my opinion.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

Mike-

Your analysis is spot on.

KSU is on the rise and it is Win-Win for them to wrestle OSU

OSU does not gain a lot by winning against them. They actually stand to lose more OH recruits as KSU can boast about producing AAs, having OSU on the schedule, and wrestling the toughest teams in the nation.

I think Tom Ryan is concerned with getting his guys ready for the Big Ten and NCAAs. Scheduling does play a major role in preparation. So, scheduling is largely determined by what gets his guys ready for post season. All other things are secondary.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 4, 2009

Here's the deal though, for tOSU, EVERY dual is wrestling inferior competition. Look, KSU is no different than tSUN, Minn., ISU, ODU, Lehigh or UP-J. ;-)

In all honesty, I would tend to agree with Bob on this. From the outside, it's a no-brainer...DO IT!!!!! Great for the sport, great for the wrestlers, great for the state, great for the fans...great in SO MANY ways.

On the inside, tNDG truly might not be able to fit them into the schedule. I currently don't know the Buckeyes schedule...my guess is tNDG knows it. I will defer to his knowledge. If it interferes with winning a National title, then don't do it! His guys MUST be hitting on all cylinders to bring it all home. I for one hope to be in Omaha or Philly to see it go down.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next