Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Lou Rosselli named associate head coach at Ohio State
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on May 16, 2009

I don't know how this changes what he does at Ohio State, but it is what it is. http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/5007

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 16, 2009

I don't even know what that means... Is it what it is!!!

Either way, does this make you wonder if he's padding his resume'...Or setting the stage for the other foot to drop (aka: Tom Ryan steps down.)

Also, has this ever been done before??? (Please forgive me for not reading the link...I'm a little strapped for time.)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 16, 2009

One last thing...

If, last year, Tom Ryan was the head coach, and 'Sweet' Lou was the assistant coach, and Tommy was an assistant, who is taking over for Tommy??? It is my understanding that J Jaggers is a volunteer coach.

Also, Steve Luke is a grad assistant, right?

So what used to be:

Head Coach: Tom Ryan
Assistant Coach: 'Sweet' Lou
2nd Assistant Coach: THEE Tommy Rowlands

Did the team have a grad assistant last year? Bergman, maybe???

Has bacome:

Head Coach: Tom Ryan
Head Coach: 'Sweet' Lou
Volunteer Coach: J Jaggers
Grad Assistant: Steve Luke

I could be WAY off on these, but if I'm right, how does this work???

Don Bork added to this discussion on May 17, 2009

Mark, I think your forgetting Joe Heskett.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 17, 2009

It gives you a sense of how valuable Rosselli is to the program.

Rosselli is not only key to the current staff, esp the lightwt development (Hump, Jaggers--that's 3 finalists) but the Ohio RTC. My guess is they want to make sure Coach Rosselli is going to stay in Columbus.

You promote him, add more salary and make it very hard for him to leave for any but the best possible job opportunities.

Congrats to Lou, Amy and their family on this promotion.

Who was that idiot criticizing the staff after a disappointing performance at Big Tens?

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on May 17, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on May 17, 2009

I think Hank hit the nail on the head. You promote him and in turn must raise his salary in efforts to keep him from leaving later down the road.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 17, 2009

Here's a scenario:

Imagine that David Taylor came for a visit and indicated a serious interest in coming to Ohio State.

Now, one of the questions he might ask is: what's going to happen with the staff?

In light of everything he's recently experienced, there might be specific concern regarding the future of Lou Rosselli as a coach. After all, Rosselli is considered key to the development of Jaggers and Humphrey as well as probably the best technician on the staff. He's also the chief freestyle instructor for the Ohio RTC.

Might Ohio State have made this move as a way to assure Taylor--and other future recruits--that Lou Rosselli is not leaving Columbus?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on May 17, 2009

The staff will be Ryan, Rosselli, Heskett, and Jaggers in some group of positions. Rosselli still has the #1 assistant role, but the title is now associate head coach.

While Luke is attending Ohio State for graduate school, it's complete independent of the wrestling situation. Though I'm sure he'll want to be involved, I don't think he's officially "on staff".

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 17, 2009

Quote from Kevin Petrella's post:

"I think Hank hit the nail on the head. You promote him and in turn must raise his salary in efforts to keep him from leaving later down the road."

Good thought I guess, but giving an assistant a promotion didn't help Iowa State keep their head coach for very long.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Here's a scenario:

Imagine that David Taylor came for a visit and indicated a serious interest in coming to Ohio State.

Now, one of the questions he might ask is: what's going to happen with the staff?

In light of everything he's recently experienced, there might be specific concern regarding the future of Lou Rosselli as a coach. After all, Rosselli is considered key to the development of Jaggers and Humphrey as well as probably the best technician on the staff. He's also the chief freestyle instructor for the Ohio RTC.

Might Ohio State have made this move as a way to assure Taylor--and other future recruits--that Lou Rosselli is not leaving Columbus?"

How does that "assure" anyone? Sanderson got promoted to keep him, and that didn't last as long as I am sure Iowa State thought it would.

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"The staff will be Ryan, Rosselli, Heskett, and Jaggers in some group of positions. Rosselli still has the #1 assistant role, but the title is now associate head coach.

While Luke is attending Ohio State for graduate school, it's complete independent of the wrestling situation. Though I'm sure he'll want to be involved, I don't think he's officially "on staff"."

Couldn't Luke get accepted into a grad program at Michigan? :)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 17, 2009

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Mark, I think your forgetting Joe Heskett."

Don. I have sinned. I am wrong. I am sorry. Please for give me.

Mr. Heskett, One trillion apologies to you for looking over the job you do.

Don. If there was a way to send you a Special Salad from Emelio's, I would. Again, I am sorry.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 18, 2009

Gary: Cael Sanderson is a unique entity--the only 4x unbeaten national champion and an Olympic gold medalist. He is an icon and at the height of his popularity. Lou Rosselli, by contrast, is a highly respected former competitor and coach. But he's never going to be as high a profile coach as Cael.

Changing his title--and presumeably raising his pay--sends the message to Lou and the wrestling community that the Buckeye program places great value on his skills and intends to keep him in Columbus. Theoretically, it sets him up to succeed Coach Ryan were he to leave unexpectedly. I think it's a smart move in light of the variety of coaching shifts that have taken place over the last several years. If you're David Taylor, it's a sign that Coach Rosselli, arguably the biggest enticement on the Bucks staff, is committed to Columbus.

No certainties of course. But it makes clear that it would take a lot to lure him away.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 18, 2009

From the number of people I have talked in person, which actually is a large number, the hiring of 'Sweet' Lou is one of the hidden gems in the last 10 years of coaching. I for one could not be happier. Most us of sit amazed as to how he hasn't signed up for a head job somewhere already. Same goes for Tommy and Joe. The guys are class act when I talk to them and when I see them in interviews. Either they are Oscar worthy or this is who they are...and they kind of know the sport!

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on May 19, 2009

Gary:

There's this thing called in-state tuition. Pharmacy school is expensive. That's what I was told as a key factor in Steve ending up at OSU.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next