Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: It's official: David Taylor commits to Penn State
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 13, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Gary,

At first you were just a guy who liked to argue and that's kind of fun for everybody, but with every post you lose more and more credibility. Now you come off as an old curmudgeon who pretends he lived in a better time filled with better people.

There are several universities that are better academically than Michigan but it would be silly for anyone to suggest you can't get a fine education there. Many very successful people have recieved their degrees from Ohio University (and Penn State and Iowa State as well). It didn't seem to hamper them in any way. It's one thing to say Taylor made his decision based on wrestling, but you've taken it further to insult anyone who chose a school that you deem 'low quality.'

It's one thing to be puffed up with vanity if you graduated top of your class at an Ivy League school (although it still doesn't make it something you should do) , but you just sound like a pompous wind bag at this point. And all of your talk about honor and integrity, where does tact and poise and manners fit into that? With every post, you make a very persuasive argument against yourself."

Define "several."

I have said you can get decent educations at those schools, but have just tried to remind some that the quality of education at either Penn State or Iowa State had nothing to do with Taylor's decision by all appearances. Might he get a good education at Penn State? Sure. But it clearly seems to be secondary. Is that a bad thing for him? Not for me to say.

So sorry to offend you that I haven't swallowed the OU pill.

Just wondering... if you see nothing wrong academically with Penn State and Iowa State, where wouldn't you attend or send your children?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on May 13, 2009

I have one question for all of you regarding Cael Sanderson leaving ISU to take the job at PSU.

Could you imagine coaching your entire career against yourself? You go undefeated for your career in NCAA competition, then your job is try to get others to "match" what you did, where you did it. That pressure must have been incredible that you couldn't "live up" to yourself. Maybe he just wasn't happy at ISU because of that, so he took a job elsewhere.

Thus ends the Dr. Phil show for today...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 13, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Just wondering... if you see nothing wrong academically with Penn State and Iowa State, where wouldn't you attend or send your children?"

I can't speak for Michael, but I know I see nothing wrong with either PSU or ISU academically. I probably wouldn't have gone to ISU because the picture of it in my mind is that its in the middle of a corn field and I just don't find the landscape too appealing. On the other hand, I have seen PSU, and it, while also sort of in the middle of no where, is a beautiful campus and a great environment--I could see myself going there.

Where I wouldn't attend? It's tough to say. Ultimately, I think people should go where ever they feel most comfortable. If I was in love with Kent State, then--even in light of offers to much more "prestigious" schools--I absolutely would go there.

I probably wouldn't have gone to a community college, but only because the degrees wouldn't have been very applicable to what I wanted to do. However, I think that the teachers at community colleges are often better as those at premier institutions. At prestigious schools, professors are often more focused on research than teaching, and most undergrads (including me) don't research. I honestly feel like I would have received better instruction in math if I had taken it at a community college (as opposed to OSU) because community college teachers are there because they love teaching.

Basically, whoever said that the most important ingredient for a great education is hard work and dedication was 100% spot on.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 13, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Define 'several.'"

According to the U.S. News and World Report, 25.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 15, 2009

Days since Michigan’s last victory over Ohio State in football: 2001

Jason Bryant added to this discussion on May 16, 2009

I worked in a newsroom for eight years at a large daily newspaper in Virginia. We had two Ohio U. grads on the sports desk, three more as photographers and countless others on the news desk. I dare to say there were roughly 12 OU graduates at the one paper alone. We had a few Mizzou grads as well, but Ohio U. might not show up on any "rankings" list, but I measure a good journalism department based on how many people they put in the real world.

While I've only seen a small portion of it, working for eight years in a newsroom in a transient, upwardly mobile (speaking in terms of personnel) industry, there are countless OU grads, all of high quality, I've worked with on the print side.

A journalism degree from OU actually does mean something. I've seen it in practice.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4