Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: It's official: David Taylor commits to Penn State
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 11, 2009

Quote from John Flanigan's post:

"1 or 2 in marketing, and 2 in EE. Of course, I did not kill my argument by not looking at ISU, but you have trouble understanding this. Shockingly enough, college is not all about academics - it is so much more than that. It is a balancing act between academics, socialization and maturing that is even more difficult when you compete in athletics. I was an athlete in college, so I understand the difficulties very well.

While an elite athlete looks at a school for what can be offered in his sport, someone who is intelligent (as Taylor appears to be) will also look at what the school has to offer. Do you think that Taylor will not get a job because he graduated from PSU as opposed to Yale? By your logic, how can anyone get a job if they do not graduate from the top schools? Why am I not struggling, since I only graduated from UD."

Absolutely he can get a job from there, but let's not kid anyone that academics played any part in either decision he made. Where do you think he would not have followed Sanderson to? Just my feel, but if Sanderson went to Kent or Ohio he would have followed him. Anyone need a 4.0 to get into either of those?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on May 11, 2009

My bad, here is the announcement video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 11, 2009

Great song. That was a favorite in strip clubs, btw, about 20 years ago... I had a female friend who worked in one.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on May 11, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Absolutely he can get a job from there, but let's not kid anyone that academics played any part in either decision he made. Where do you think he would not have followed Sanderson to? Just my feel, but if Sanderson went to Kent or Ohio he would have followed him. Anyone need a 4.0 to get into either of those?"

Ohio University is one of the better state schools academically and boasts several programs that are among the best in the nation (notably Journalism). Please try to at least get facts straight when bashing school and individuals. By the way, I was a 4.0 student and attended OU. I am very happy with the education I recieved there, as are many other sucessful graduates.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 11, 2009

Scott,
Haven't you been paying attention? Gary doesn't let facts get in the way of an argument.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 12, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Great song. That was a favorite in strip clubs, btw, about 20 years ago... I had a female friend who worked in one."

Well now, I did not expect that from you Bob. Sure you had a "friend." We all have a "friend" that does all of those things we don't want to fess up to.

Just kidding with you, Bob.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 12, 2009

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Ohio University is one of the better state schools academically and boasts several programs that are among the best in the nation (notably Journalism). Please try to at least get facts straight when bashing school and individuals. By the way, I was a 4.0 student and attended OU. I am very happy with the education I recieved there, as are many other sucessful graduates."

Several programs that are among the best in the nation? Tell me the next time OU's Journalism program is mentioned in the same breath as Syracuse.

Gourman Report
Top Journalism and Mass Communications Programs
===================================
1. University of Missouri
2. Northwestern University
2. Syracuse University
4. Univeristy of Minnesota
5. University of Illinois
6. University of North Carolina
7. University of Wisconsin
8. The Ohio State University
9. Michigan State University
10. University of Southern California

I know rankings of this sort can be misleading, but what am I missing?

One of the better state schools academically? Do you mean one of the better Ohio state schools (not a lot of competition there)? Because nationally, tell me the next time it is mentioned in the same breath as Cal, Virginia, or Michigan.

I am sure you can get a decent education there, though I notice no one took me up on Kent. My point remains academics had little (nothing?) to do with Taylor's decisions. There is one common theme to them that is pretty obvious. Might he have lucked into decent schools, that remains a matter of opinion. But there was clearly only one reason behind his choices. Those choices were his to make, but why are the rest of you so naive about why he made them?

Get my facts straight? You haven't cited a "fact" yet.

Last edited by Gary Sommers on May 12, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Scott,
Haven't you been paying attention? Gary doesn't let facts get in the way of an argument."

What substantiated fact was I given?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 12, 2009

You win. Taylor is an idiot who makes irresponsible decisions based entirely on wrestling, Sanderson is a liar and a coward with no character and Penn State isn't a "decent" university.

"You win. Taylor is an idiot who makes irresponsible decisions based entirely on wrestling, Sanderson is a liar and a coward with no character and Penn State isn't a "decent" university."

Decent? Perhaps, but really nothing more.

Idiot? No, not at all. But there is a clear trend to his college decision making.

Liar? I don't know, I don't know what he did or didn't tell recruits to Iowa State about his intentions. I just know he turned his back on them. Pretty obvious.

Coward? Don't believe I ever said that. Others speculated he made the move to run from Iowa, I did not.

Nice try, though.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 12, 2009

"Coward? Don't believe I ever said that. Others speculated he made the move to run from Iowa, I did not.

Nice try, though."

Again, you win.

"And I would have thought he was competitive enough to want to stay and fight Iowa for that top spot, not just turn tail."

You're right, you NEVER said that. It was "others" who speculated.

"You're right, you NEVER said that. It was "others" who speculated."

Glad to see you remember my posts better than I do. LOL

I wonder why he didn't want to stay and fight to become the big dog in Iowa. Clearly he is free to do what he wants, as is Taylor, but in Sanderson's case wasn't he saying to his wrestlers, "I can't win here with you guys, I need to go where I think it might be better for me"?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on May 12, 2009

Here you go, buddy.

Journalism School Rankings - U.S. News & World Report Rankings
=================================================
2. Columbia University
3. Northwestern University
4. University of North Carolina
5. Indiana University
6. University of Florida
7. Ohio University
9. University of California
9. University of Kansas

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 13, 2009

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Here you go, buddy.

Journalism School Rankings - U.S. News & World Report Rankings
=================================================
2. Columbia University
3. Northwestern University
4. University of North Carolina
5. Indiana University
6. University of Florida
7. Ohio University
9. University of California
9. University of Kansas"

Well then let's hope everyone there is a journalism major.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 13, 2009

Gary,

At first you were just a guy who liked to argue and that's kind of fun for everybody, but with every post you lose more and more credibility. Now you come off as an old curmudgeon who pretends he lived in a better time filled with better people.

There are several universities that are better academically than Michigan but it would be silly for anyone to suggest you can't get a fine education there. Many very successful people have recieved their degrees from Ohio University (and Penn State and Iowa State as well). It didn't seem to hamper them in any way. It's one thing to say Taylor made his decision based on wrestling, but you've taken it further to insult anyone who chose a school that you deem "low quality."

It's one thing to be puffed up with vanity if you graduated top of your class at an Ivy League school (although it still doesn't make it something you should do) , but you just sound like a pompous wind bag at this point. And all of your talk about honor and integrity, where does tact and poise and manners fit into that? With every post, you make a very persuasive argument against yourself.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next