Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: It's official: David Taylor commits to Penn State
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 10, 2009

Quote from John Flanigan's post:

"Would that not depend on what he chooses for a major? PSU does rank high in a number of departments, like marketing and EE."

Define "high". And does ISU also? Remember, that was his FIRST choice. You just killed our own argument.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"You are correct, but he is not an adult. He is a senior in high school and GPA means a lot to a high school kid. It shows that he has getting good grades and doing well academically as a priority as well. I don't understand why it is hard for you to see that."

Most use high GPAs as a vehicle to get into the school of their choice, presumably a good one. Beyond that high school GPA means very little. Yes, it is an indicator of other things but I cannot think of the last time I applied for a job, at least in my field, and anyone cared what I did in high school.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I have no idea what David wants to major in, but Iowa State is a very respected school for the sciences. Specifically, I know they have a strong engineering program. I wonder if all of the 25,000 students at Iowa State are putting all of their eggs in the wrestling basket by going there. The same could be said for Penn State."

My guess is most of those 25,000 didn't have 4.0 GPA in high school. And most kids who did would not have considered ISU very strongly. And the vast majority of the 25,000 are Iowa residents.

My daughter had a 4.7, and neither her or her friends ever considered either. Point is, and it is pretty obvious, the academics of the two schools had VERY little to do with his choices. Now again, how far down the academic list might he have gone to follow Sanderson? He can do what he wants, clearly, but just has chosen the wrestling basket to place his eggs. Isn't the first athlete, and certainly won't be the last.

Quote from Jeff Sitler's post:

"WOW, that might be the first time in my life I have ever heard someone take a shot at PSU academics."

Not saying it is the worst, but how many non-PA residents with a 4.0 or better choose the school who are not attending because they want to follow the new wrestling coach?

And who among us really thinks Taylor made either choice for the academics? Who among us does not think he would have gone to any Big Ten or Big Eight school that Sanderson was at? What, they are all Northwestern?

Again, he can do what he wants but must so many of you be so naive?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 10, 2009

If he was putting all his eggs in the wrestling basket, why would he go to college at all? By choosing to attend college rather than go to the OTC, he is choosing to get a quality education while persuing his wrestling goals. So, isn't that two baskets?

Also, since he is a 4.0 student and by all accounts a swell kid and the top recruit coming out of high school, can't we infer that he has a good head on his shoulders and maybe he and his family understand the situation a little better than some Internet posters?

I'm not talking about you, Gary. We all know that you understand his situation much better than he and his family does and you know what he should do...what's right for him. If only he were over 50. Then he'd make the "right" decisions.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"If he was putting all his eggs in the wrestling basket, why would he go to college at all? By choosing to attend college rather than go to the OTC, he is choosing to get a quality education while persuing his wrestling goals. So, isn't that two baskets?

Also, since he is a 4.0 student and by all accounts a swell kid and the top recruit coming out of high school, can't we infer that he has a good head on his shoulders and maybe he and his family understand the situation a little better than some Internet posters?

I'm not talking about you Gary. We all know that you understand his situation much better than he and his family does and you know what he should do...what's RIGHT for him. If only he were over 50. Then he'd make the "right" decisions."

I am sure they do. But you telling me it is coincidence that he always chooses to go where Sanderson is coaching, and that he would be attending literally any school next year that Sanderson was at? So what, Sanderson only goes to the nation's most prestigious academic institutions?

Being older certainly helps to make better decisions. No one, me included, would argue with that. Many say youth is wasted on the young.

You didn't answer the question. Isn't the fact that he is choosing to go to college and wrestler rather than got to the OTC proof of more than one basket?

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"You didn't answer the question. Isn't the fact that he is choosing to go to college and wrestler rather than got to the OTC proof of more than one basket?"

Fair enough. One egg in the academic basket, the other 11 in the wrestling one.

Just wondering. How many guys go straight there from high school and don't attend any college first?

Now you answer me. Coincidence?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 10, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"but I cannot think of the last time I applied for a job, at least in my field, and anyone cared what I did in high school."

But you are getting up there in age and many memories start to fade.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 10, 2009

" My daughter had a 4.7, and neither her or her friends ever considered either. Point is, and it is pretty obvious, the academics of the two schools had VERY little to do with his choices. Now again, how far down the academic list might he have gone to follow Sanderson? He can do what he wants, clearly, but just has chosen the wrestling basket to place his eggs. Isn't the first athlete, and certainly won't be the last."

He also won't leave college with thousands in debt and his connections for future jobs will be lengthy -- something that many students with 4.7 GPAs can't say either.

"Fair enough. One egg in the academic basket, the other 11 in the wrestling one.

Just wondering. How many guys go straight there from high school and don't attend any college first?

Now you answer me. Coincidence?"

OK, we're running into a problem again. For you to say that attending a school like Penn State is "one egg" compared to 11 in wrestling is simply not fair to the education one can receive at PSU. And this is where that meaningless 4.0 comes in. I student of that quality is unlikely to flame out academically at Penn State. He could be on auto-pilot and still graduate with honors. Free education one state away from home with the coach you wanted... I just don't see the downside, although I'm sure you do. A more appropriate argument for you would be that he has put all his eggs in the Cael Sanderson basket. But even if that's true, he's done it in a way that allows him to get a great education and persue his wrestling goals. A move to Penn State looks like a win/win.

As far as your question, not many have gone the OTC rout, although it's been done by a few high profile guys. Henry Cejudo and Jake Deitchler did it, Harry Lester left ISU to train greco full time, but he did start out in the college scene. A wrestler of Taylor's quality (or say a Logan Stieber next year) could certainly take that rout.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 10, 2009

Michael. I take issue with your last statement. There is NO WAY!!! (Logan, if you are reading this, follow me here) Logan could make it without first attending THEE Ohio State University!!!!!!!!! He'll need a minimum of 4, max of 5 years to prep in a way that will make him competitive in Colorado and throughout the world. What he needs is to attend tOSU, get around men like Ryan, Heskett, 'Sweet' Lou, Rowlands, Jaggers...oh the list is truly too long, and become one of - if not THEE - greatest college and international wrestlers OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your attmept to massage Logan right out from underneath our noses is heresy!!! Outright terrible! I see you tactics, and I know your game. Why I oughtta!?!?!?!?!

Next you're going to tell me that Colt Sponseller will NOT be a 2x National Champion!!! Unreal.

John Joyce added to this discussion on May 10, 2009

So this thread is a joke, right? I'm pretty sure Taylor has not re-committed yet and the thread starter meant it as a joke. The link to the cheesy music video would be the give away im assuming. If not correct me, but Taylor is still "available" making all the "academic" bashing irrelevant anyways...

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 11, 2009

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"But you are getting up there in age and many memories start to fade."

Yes and no.

Yes, I am getting up there. But seriously like I said at least in my field no one cares what I did in high school.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on May 11, 2009

"Define "high". And does ISU also? Remember, that was his FIRST choice. You just killed our own argument."

1 or 2 in marketing, and 2 in EE. Of course, I did not kill my argument by not looking at ISU, but you have trouble understanding this. Shockingly enough, college is not all about academics - it is so much more than that. It is a balancing act between academics, socialization and maturing that is even more difficult when you compete in athletics. I was an athlete in college, so I understand the difficulties very well.

While an elite athlete looks at a school for what can be offered in his sport, someone who is intelligent (as Taylor appears to be) will also look at what the school has to offer. Do you think that Taylor will not get a job because he graduated from PSU as opposed to Yale? By your logic, how can anyone get a job if they do not graduate from the top schools? Why am I not struggling, since I only graduated from UD.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next