Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: It's official: David Taylor commits to Penn State
Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on May 8, 2009

David Taylor is going to Penn State! Congrats, David!

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlY0VOFtyA

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 8, 2009

Quote from Marlo Stanfield's post:

"David Taylor is going to Penn State! Congrats, David!

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlY0VOFtyA"

Gee, that took a long time after the release. I sure hope Cael Sanderson doesn't bolt on him again.

Good luck to the young man. Nothing is guaranteed, ask Tony Mandarich, Ty Tryon, and Brian Bosworth, none of whom will make their professional Halls of Fame. But he obviously has a ton of talent and has placed most if not all of his life's eggs in the wrestling basket.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 8, 2009

What is that link? It takes me to a music (if you call it that) video.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 8, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"He obviously has a ton of talent and has placed most if not all of his life's eggs in the wrestling basket."

His GPA and other activities say that he doesn't have "all his life's eggs in the wrestliing basket."

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 8, 2009

"Good luck to the young man. Nothing is guaranteed, ask Tony Mandarich, Ty Tryon, and Brian Bosworth, none of whom will make their profesional hall of fame. But he obviously has a ton of talent and has placed most if not all of his life's eggs in the wrestling basket."

Man, I thought I was a negative poster. Gary, you take the cake. On what do you base the eggs in one basket comment?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on May 8, 2009

"Good luck to the young man. Nothing is guaranteed, ask Tony Mandarich, Ty Tryon, and Brian Bosworth, none of whom will make their profesional hall of fame. But he obviously has a ton of talent and has placed most if not all of his life's eggs in the wrestling basket."

-1 on the eggs in one basket, but +2 for the Ty Tryon reference.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on May 8, 2009

Mike,
I am interested to read Gary's attempt at explaining the logic behind that comment, too.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 9, 2009

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"His GPA and other activities say that he doesn't have, 'all his life's eggs in the wrestling basket.'"

High school GPA means very little as an adult. The school he is choosing to attend was definitely for wrestling, not academics.

I wonder how far down the academic pecking order he would have gone to follow Sanderson.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on May 9, 2009

"High school GPA means very little as an adult. The school he is choosing to attend was definitely for wrestling, NOT academics.

I wonder how far down the academic pecking order he would have gone to follow Sanderson."

Would that not depend on what he chooses for a major? PSU does rank high in a number of departments, like marketing and EE.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 9, 2009

"High school GPA means very little as an adult. The school he is choosing to attend was definitely for wrestling, not academics.

I wonder how far down the academic pecking order he would have gone to follow Sanderson."

You are correct, but he is not an adult. He is a senior in high school and GPA means a lot to a high school kid. It shows that he has getting good grades and doing well academically as a priority as well. I don't understand why it is hard for you to see that.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 9, 2009

For what its worth I always understood PSU to be a very high quality school academically. Of course at the big school level, it often comes down to speacialty areas rather than overall qualtiy of education. Some schools excel in engineering (i.e Georgia Tech), others in english (i.e. Iowa), etc.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 9, 2009

"High school GPA means very little as an adult. The school he is choosing to attend was definitely for wrestling, NOT academics.

I have no idea what David wants to major in, but Iowa State is a very respected school for the sciences. Specifically, I know they have a strong engineering program. I wonder if all of the 25,000 students at Iowa State are putting all of their eggs in the wrestling basket by going there. The same could be said for Penn State.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 9, 2009

Can't someone from any of the Ivy League schools say that about all the Big Ten schools? Isn't a guy who plans to play sports in college and could get into Harvard but chooses to go to Michigan making a decision for their sport and NOT academics? Of course not, they'd get a fine education at Michigan, and perhaps they are a better fit there. Your agrument doesn't hold up. You can get a world class education at all of the Big Ten universities. You can certainly get an education that doesn't hamper your life in any way. I can't believe a "proud graduate of the University of Michigan" is casting dispersions on the eduaction at Penn State. I'll give you that Michigan is a step above, but it's not like the difference between the two schools is night and day. It's like we're talking about a kid who was headed to Brown and then switched to Kent.

People choose colleges for a host of reasons. It's a personal decision on where they think they'll fit best. What possible damage would be done from a student choosing Penn State?

At this point, you just have it in your head that the whole Cael/Iowa State/Penn State/David Taylor thing is bad, just bad. They're bad people, with questionable character making bad decisions. It's just my opinion, but I think your mad at Taylor becuase if he goes to Penn State he will be following the guy who abandoned him...and he just shouldn't do that. What Cael did was wrong. He's a liar and a coward and an overall bad guy. And if Taylor can't see that then he's probably just making decsions based on wrestling, which of course, is silly. Why would anyone choose where they go to college (or high school for that matter) based on a sport that is a huge part of their lives?

There's nothing anyone can do to show you how ridiculous you sound (you actually find a way to make straight A's a bad thing). So, please continue. It's refreshing to go back and forth with someone who is consistantly wrong and out of touch and so sure that his way is what is best, not just for him, but for everyone.

Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on May 9, 2009

WOW, that might be the first time in my life I have ever heard someone take a shot at PSU academics.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 10, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Man, I thought I was a negative poster. Gary, you take the cake. On what do you base the eggs in one basket comment?"

You think it is coincidence that he first chose, and from what I have read only visited, the school Sanderson was at? Then he announces he is going to Sanderson's latest school literally hours after he is released.

What subject does Sanderson teach? What academic major will he help him graduate with?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next