Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: The official "Keep David Taylor in Ohio" topic!™
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

David Taylor came into high school as the most decorated wrestler in Ohio history. Dan Ransick and I first met David and his father, Dave, when he was just a freshman in high school - just his second varsity competition - when he traveled to up to my area in northeast Ohio and took the Ironman by storm, winning the title and soundly avenging a first-week loss against two-time Ohio state champion Ben Sergent. The first time we saw David wrestle, we knew we were seeing something special. Four years later, this little kid from St. Paris, Ohio is the #1 wrestler in the entire nation.

On a personal note, every time I've talked to David or Dave, they've been very supportive of what we're doing and just great people. Dave hooked Ohio Wrestling Radio up with an interview of David's trainer, Scott Goodpaster, of Cincinnati Functional Fitness in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Ohio loves David Taylor. Older guys (well I am older than him) say, "wow, look at that kid!" Younger kids look up to him as the golden standard. My coach - whose family is from Jefferson and is close with Kyle Gilchrist - has a sixth-grade son who would probably be the #1 fan in the David Taylor fan club.

Some points to consider:

His family is here. St. Paris is an hour away from Columbus. That is an awesome perk.

We have an Olympic coach right here (Lou Rosselli) who was USA Wrestling's freestyle coach of the year.

We have an Olympic Training Center right in Columbus now, which is amazing. We have a club with multiple Olympic hopefuls - Tommy Rowlands, Shawn Bunch, Reece Humphrey, Keith Gavin, J.D. Bergman, etc.

We have Teyon Ware and, I think, Sam Hazewinkel are training in Hillsboro, Ohio, which is not far from Columbus.

We have some guy named Jeff Jordan who I hear can coach pretty well right in good ol' St. Paris.

The Buckeyes have guys like Logan Stieber, J Jaggers, Reece Humphrey, Lance Palmer, Collin Palmer and many more Ohio greats - All-Americans and national champions - to workout with in the Buckeye room. Could you imagine a lineup with Stieber, Palmer and Taylor? Can you say national champions? O-H!

Ohio loves David. St. Paris loves David. Columbus loves David.

And I would love to see David winning national championships in scarlet and gray!!!

If anyone has any stories about special moments from David's illustrious wrestling career in the Buckeye state that they'd like to share here, let's hear them!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Ware and Hazewinkel are training in Springboro at Prodigy. Kevin Bracken the former Olympian runs the place.

I hope David makes the choice that is best for him. Not an easy process what he is going through.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Dan...Those are all valid points, but wasn't all that true when Taylor chose ISU and Sanderson?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Dan...Those are all valid points, but wasn't all that true when Taylor chose ISU and Sanderson?"

Of course it was true then. This is someone's child, let THEM decide what is best for him on whatever basis they choose. How will him going to OSU directly benefit anyone on this board?

The OSU honks on here really need their own lives. :(

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Of course it was true then. This is someone's child, let THEM decide what is best for him on whatever basis they choose."

The last thing I want to do is re-hash our last discussion, but that's certainly not the stance you had on Coach Sanderson and his decision making process.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Gary: It's an Ohio forum. What do you expect?

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"The last thing I want to do is re-hash our last discussion, but that's certainly not the stance you had on Coach Sanderson and his decision making process."

Where Taylor goes only affects the Taylors. What Sanderson did affected many kids.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Gary: It's an Ohio forum. What do you expect?"

"Ohio" Hank, NOT just Ohio State.

I understand that, but to give 100 reasons why the boy should attend OSU is pointless. Who here will his attending OSU benefit? Anyone?

Gary:

You are making lemons out of my lemonade and derailing the topic. It was meant to be a bit humorous, with a big bias toward the Buckeyes because I am a proud Buckeye fan.

As Hank pointed out, this is an Ohio wrestling forum. I am an Ohio State fan. There's nothing wrong with me, as a fan of Ohio State wrestling and David Taylor, posting positively about him going to The Ohio State University.

Of course the decision is his and his parents' decision. I would never argue that. I'm a fan and I'm talking from my armchair as all fans do. Everything I said was positive.

What do I get from David going to OSU? Well I'm a Buckeye fan and he's an awesome wrestler so it makes me think things like, "woo, yeah, Go Bucks!" or "O-H!" or "Da-da-da-dadada" (fight song) or... You get the point.

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"What do I get from David going to OSU? Well I'm a Buckeye fan and he's an awesome wrestler so it makes me think things like, "woo, yeah, Go Bucks!" or "O-H!" or "Da-da-da-dadada" (fight song) or... You get the point."

I have always been partial to Hail to the Victors myself. :)

Bill Splete added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

I'll tell you what David will get from OSU, besides the unsurpassed coaching staff and Olympic training, but loyalty.

Look at how Tom left Hofstra, it was not in the middle of the night, but clearly a step up given to him after 13 years there. And when he returns for matches he is heralded as a hero because of how he treats and treated his athletes in the past. He won't run back to Long Island and if he did he would do it with far more class.

Sorry Cael but when you sit on your new money it won't fill any voids that you had at ISU. It sounds a bit - I know but it pisses me off when a guy like him basically said, "I can't win at ISU but PSU is better for me." Please! I knew it was bs when I heard it. Nice to kick your old team in the butt on your way out. Real class.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"I understand that, but to give 100 reasons why the boy should attend OSU is pointless. Who here will his attending OSU benefit? Anyone?"

Obviously it is pointless. Posting on sports boards in general is pretty pointless; nothing we can do will affect the outcomes. That's not why people do it, though. People post because they enjoy the sports, enjoy talking about the sports, and enjoy rooting for their favorite teams. That's exactly what Dan was doing and there is nothing wrong with it.

As for who it benefits, it would benefit the Ohio State wrestling program (of which there are several alumni who post on this site) directly, and any Ohio State fans indirectly because we would have the pleasure of watching David wrestle in Columbus many times every year and hopefully win titles for the school we like to support.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

I'm now being made to wonder why we invest in a 120+ mile drive to Columbus on a given afternoon??

IMO, you can't parse out reasons against fans acting as fans, as long as they remain half-way civil.

However, you CAN question the concept of "fandomhood" in the first place if that's your thing. Then you can get into conversations about whether any athletic event should have cheerleaders and whether fans-in-the-stands should be welcome.

That's not what is happening here. I think it's a feint and that private support for a college (that will remain unnamed), masquerading as some kind of altruism, is the basis of the complaints.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Bill: I remember when Tom Brands left Virginia Tech for Iowa. Not only did he leave the program just as it looked to be moving forward, but he took all the talent on his way out the door. The result was that Virginia Tech considered dropping the program. That was a horrible possibility but Brands didn't care. He wanted to win and he wanted to coach Iowa. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed, Kevin Dresser arrived, and that program has risen like the proverbial phoenix.

People have mostly forgotten (except Virginia Tech fans) how Brands left that program in tatters. He remains controversial but few question his ability or his integrity.

Cael has not destroyed ISU (at least not to this point) but he has shredded his credibility. He had a ton of talent at ISU and was not having difficulty recruiting (David Taylor and Jamie Clark provide ample evidence). He may or may not have left for more money. He certainly wanted to get out from under Iowa's shadow. He claims that recruiting will be easier although that's unconvincing.

All this will soon be forgotten as he forges a new legacy at PSU and ISU moves forward.

Back to the original topic...

Can anyone share with us some great stories about David Taylor's great wrestling career?

He won seven state titles (four in high school, three in middle school) in our state so I'm sure there are many out there.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next