Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kevin Jackson is the new head coach at Iowa State University
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=20252

That about covers all the major head coaching positions, correct?

Penn State University - Cael Sanderson
University of Illinois - Jim Heffernan
Iowa State University - Kevin Jackson

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Good selection.

btw anyone who thinks Iowa st will release anyone -- except maybe Cael's brother Cyler -- to Penn St is loco. Yes, new recruits who never have set foot on campus yet might be released, but it wont be to Penn St, they will be released with stipulation it cannot be to Penn St.

I have no dog in the fight, this is strictly my opinion on how things will go down, but maybe I'm wrong-- don't think so though. Iowa St is furious.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Iowa St is furious."

As they should be. Any anyone who signed with ISU just for Sanderson, and perhaps won't be released to go wrestle for him at least their freshman year only have themselves to blame (if they did not ask Sanderson his intentions - unless he lied). I don't know any of this for fact, hence the use of "if."

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

The Arizona State position is still out there with Shawn Charles the likely candidate from talk on the national college boards.

In terms of Iowa State, this is a good hire for them. Now it's on Coach Jackson to create a staff that works for him and Iowa State wrestling.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

"In terms of Iowa State, this is a good hire for them. Now it's on Coach Jackson to create a staff that works for him and Iowa State wrestling"
----------------------------------------

hmmm, sounds like something a politician would say, ha, ha -- unless theres someone out there who thinks Jackson should put together a lousy staff that he cant work with ??

Jeremy Craft added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

Not the pick I wanted, I wanted Terry Brands.
Living in Ames Iowa right now (ISU) this is a major let down.
At the same time, I know many people (even many donors to the program) were glad to see Cael go. I personally felt he never had the "it" factor as a coach, he was such a great wrestler but never had what a Gable or a Brands had.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

Jeremy:
Terry Brands would have been a great pick if he'd have been interested. I just can't imagine him going head-to-head with his brother in the same state. I wonder if Terry is a candidate for ASU or possibly Oklahoma.

Cael may not have been Mister Charisma but he kept a steady flow of talent in the pipeline. It remains to be seen whether or not he can turn PSU into a perennial national title contender. I can't imagine them not being very good. Even with last season's troubles, there's still a lot of talent in that program.

Matt Dernlan was a big key for PSU. Where will he end up?

Jeremy Craft added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

I don't question his charisma, it's his intensity/fire.

I've heard many say that he is against major weight cutting and they feel it is b/c he was never a huge cutter. Also, he didn't fire up the wrestling room like a Tom Brands or a Gable would do.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

I'm confused as to why people say this about Cael. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't his teams finish 3rd, 5th and 3rd at the national tournament the last three seasons? This is very, very good.

Ohio fans are lucky to have Tom Ryan, but after Tom there aren't too many coaches who would be more coveted than Cael.

How old is Cael now? He won his fourth NCAA title in 2002, which should make him around 30. The fact that he didn't win multiple national titles by the age of 30 shouldn't be an indictment of his fire or passion. (Actually, I just checked and he will turn 30 in June.) I suspect Iowa fans associate passion with flipping off other coaches, yelling at fans, and three or four coaches running onto the mat after every call. Cael doesn't seem to do things the same as Brands.

I think he has done great things as a very young coach, and expect PSU to be a national power for years to come.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

I am also very surprised at the negative comments regarding Sanderson.

After being possibly the NCAA's greatest wrestler, he came back to Iowa State as an assistant coach for a few years.

Then (apparently because of the Ohio State and Iowa jobs opening up) Iowa State decided to promote Sanderson to the head coach position to avoid the losing the best wrestler of all-time who would turn into the best coach of all-time (like they had with Gable). If it was reactionary as such, then it was not a decision that they did whenever they felt like it was time, it was rushed because of the circumstances. So maybe he could have had another year or two as an assistant to help get him ready for coaching.

Let's not forget that Sanderson has only had three years of being a head coach and all three years, his team has finished in the top five at the national tournament. The Cyclones have held the #1 national ranking at various times during the past three seasons.

Let's not forget that Sanderson's Cyclones have all ten out of ten starters returning this season on a team that finished in third place at the national tournament.

Let's not forget that Sanderson is doing very good things with his club wrestlers in the international styles. To point out one: Buckeye High School (Rayland, Ohio) and Iowa State University alum, David Bertolino - who went up two weights to 197 pounds and was an All-American as a senior - finished fourth at the USAW Senior Freestyle National Championships a few weeks ago.

Why is it a bad thing that he isn't into cutting a lot of weight? I know it has made many have similar or improved results but I have yet to see who it has made have worse results. Not everyone motivates like Tom Brands or Dan Gable, yet many coaches have been successful. Yes, Gable is the most successful coach ever, but Brands is not Gable. He, too, is still only in his third year as a head coach.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

I think that Kevin Jackson is a very good hire. His strengths in teaching revolve around his strengths as a wrestler. Outstanding tactician, great defense and great counter wrestler. He does know how to evaluate an opponent and make necessary changes to capitalize on tendencies and weaknesses. I think he will bring with him a huge amount of energy and enthusiasm as he was just given a second lease on coaching wrestling.

My educated guess is still that Cael did not like being second to Tom Brands and felt he had some limitation that was going to make him second to Iowa on a regular basis(at ISU). He talked about limitless opportunity in PA which one can deduce that there were limitations at ISU.

Had Terry Brands been hired at ISU, wrestling in Iowa would take on a new level of crazy antics. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Sort of. You can almost imagine the Brands fighting each other while arguing over a call.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 4, 2009

Rex: Excellent post as usual. Thanks for the insights as to why Jackson will do a good job. I want him to succeed and appreciate your comments.
I agree that a primary motivator for Cael's decision was getting out from the shadow of the Hawkeyes.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 4, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rex: Excellent post as usual. Thanks for the insights as to why Jackson will do a good job. I want him to succeed and appreciate your comments.

I agree that a primary motivator for Cael's decision was getting out from the shadow of the Hawkeyes."

Hank, he didn't know that shadow was there before he took the job?

Just seems like there has to be a lot more to it.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on May 4, 2009

Prior to Cael taking the job...

- It was the battle between legendary Bobby Douglas at Iowa State versus a very good Jim Zalesky at Iowa. That dynamic changed to rookie (albeit a huge name rookie) Cael Sanderson at Iowa State versus a very successful Tom Brands with the best coach ever, Dan Gable, overseeing him. The former was a much more "winnable" situation for Iowa State in my opinion.

- Iowa State was finishing above Iowa consistently for a little while there. At that point, they were probably considered as good if not better of a place to wrestle at. Now Iowa is the equivalent of the New York Yankees.

- Sanderson had never been a head coach before and as much as he could "almost do" as an assistant or see how things were ran by Douglas, he wasn't actually in the specific situations yet as a head coach. Experience as a head coach means a lot.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 5, 2009

Gary: You're right. It's probably not accurate to say Cael left to escape Iowa's shadow. I think it's simpler.

Cael left a good situation for one of the 2-3 top jobs in college wrestling--arguably the best. It gets him more money and a better funded program in the top prep high school wrestling state in the country--which is bordered by Ohio, NY and NJ--three other great wrestling states. I think Cael saw an opportunity to leave a good position for a great one and took it. I think it's that simple and that many of us (myself included) have over-analyzed the situation.

As to the school and program he left, they've managed to hire a former Olympic gold medalist and three time world medalist to take his place. Not too shabby a rebound.

Cael Sanderson is his generations best wrestler. He is now in the early stages of what he probably hopes to be a long coaching career. I certainly understand and respect his decision. From a career perspective, it makes sense.

► Add to the Discussion