Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: David Taylor wins the Dave Schultz Award as the nation's top prep wrestler
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

Taylor wins the Dave Schultz Award--what an honor! Congrats to him. I didn't realize he's a 4.0 student.

http://www.wrestlinghalloffame.org/news.php?action=fullnews&id=2488

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: David Taylor wins the Dave Schultz Award as the nation's top prep wrestler
Jeff Cole added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

Quite simply, the best high school wrestler from Ohio, and I don't just mean in 2009. Congratulations David, to accomplish so much on the mat is one thing: to do it with over a 4.0 academic GPA speaks volume to your character and dedication. May success follow you always. You, my friend, are a rare breed.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Quote from Jeff Cole's post:

"Quite simply, the best high school wrestler from Ohio, and I don't just mean in 2009. Congratulations David, to accomplish so much on the mat is one thing: to do it with over a 4.0 academic GPA speaks volume to your character and dedication. May success follow you always. You, my friend, are a rare breed."

The 4.0+ is great, but then why waste it at an ISU or PSU? Are there no good to very good or even great wrestling programs at academically challenging schools? Not necessarily a knock on these schools, but I don't imagine very many non-residents with better than a 4.0 who put either school on their wish lists for academics.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"The 4.0+ is great, but then why waste it at an ISU or PSU? Are there no good to very good or even great wrestling programs at academically challenging schools? Not necessarily a knock on these schools, but I don't imagine very many non-residents with better than a 4.0 who put either school on their wish lists for academics."

RE: "Why waste it at an ISU or PSU?"

It's not wasting it. That high GPA will probably get him some sort of academic scholarship, because I'm sure he's won't be getting a full athletic scholarship at prestigious wrestling schools like ISU or PSU.

RE: "I don't imagine very many non-residents with better than a 4.0 who put either school on their wish lists for academics."

I would be inclined to believe you, but I know for a fact you are wrong. As an Ohio State student, I am always a bit surprised when I meet someone from California, Hawaii, Texas, or really any state outside the midwest. I always ask them, "Why would you even think to go to Ohio State if you're from (insert their state here)?" After all, it's not like Columbus is some exotic location. Nevertheless, they often reply, "I've just always wanted to go here, so when they offered me a lot of scholarship money, it was an easy choice." I am sure the same is true for Penn State and Iowa State.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 1, 2009

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"The 4.0+ is great, but then why waste it at an ISU or PSU? Are there no good to very good or even great wrestling programs at academically challenging schools? Not necessarily a knock on these schools, but I don't imagine very many non-residents with better than a 4.0 who put either school on their wish lists for academics."

RE: "Why waste it at an ISU or PSU?"

It's not wasting it. That high GPA will probably get him some sort of academic scholarship, because I'm sure he's won't be getting a full athletic scholarship at prestigious wrestling schools like ISU or PSU.

RE: "I don't imagine very many non-residents with better than a 4.0 who put either school on their wish lists for academics."

I would be inclined to believe you, but I know for a fact you are wrong. As an Ohio State student, I am always a bit surprised when I meet someone from California, Hawaii, Texas, or really any state outside the midwest. I always ask them, "Why would you even think to go to Ohio State if you're from (insert their state here)?" After all, it's not like Columbus is some exotic location. Nevertheless, they often reply, "I've just always wanted to go here, so when they offered me a lot of scholarship money, it was an easy choice." I am sure the same is true for Penn State and Iowa State."

Ben, two things. One, didn't people keep posting that Taylor's father makes a very good living so while anyone would take money if offered it sure did not sound like they need it. Two, how many of those kids who come to OSU from wherever had what I have read his GPA is? Those are the kids I was talking about. Just seems to me, the father of 5, that kids don't bust their butt to get great high school grades just to wind up at a typical public university unless there are some unique reasons. To wind up at Virginia or Michigan or Cal, sure, but not Iowa State or Penn State. My experience from my kids and their friends/peers.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 2, 2009

Gary: The best education in the world comes from being self motivated. Ivies are no better than many other schools. It's up to the student that attends. Most schools have capable instructors and programs. CSU can provide a great education if you're willing to work hard--just like Harvard. And if you want to party yourself into flunking out, you can do so at either place.

During my undergrad years, my Ohio State friends were using the same text books for the same classes. Those that chose to work hard did well at either place. I love Ann Arbor and am glad I attended Michigan. But it doesn't make me smarter or more well educated than those that attended schools whose admissions standards were less stringent.

(I will also mention that Bernie Madoff's son was my fraternity brother. That's one thing that would not have happened at any other school).

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

"During my undergrad years, my Ohio State friends were using the same text books for the same classes. Those that chose to work hard did well at either place. I love Ann Arbor and am glad I attended Michigan. But it doesn't make me smarter or more well educated than those that attended schools whose admissions standards were less stringent."

Hank: You are smarter simply because after spending 4 (5,6,7?) years in Ann Arbor, you root for the TOSU wrestling team.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

Hank, it is a borderline crime to put CSU and Harvard in the same sentence. The difference between great schools and the others is typically at the great schools you have professors who have done what they teach v. ones who simply learned about it in their classes when they were students. You don't get to benefit from their real-life experiences at a place like CSU, for those experience are MUCH more limited than the Harvards, Yales, and Michigans. I studied Public Policy and Labor Relations at Michigan, and learned from a member of Lyndon Johnson's Council of Economic Advisors, a prof who would have been RFK's Secretary of the Treasury, and a business prof who was the arbitrator at Ed Farmer's salary arbitration, the very first in MLB. You don't get that level of background at CSU, KSU, etc.

The other difference is you get a MUCH better caliber of students as peers at the elite schools than you do most anywhere else. They gravitate there for the professors, the resources, and the peers in the classroom. I agree you only get out what you put in, no question about it, but some places just have much more to get out for those who want it.

David Brown added to this discussion on May 4, 2009

Where you went to school simply doesn't matter as much to employers as it used to. The parity in universities today, even at the graduate level is unbelievable. Some of the Ivy league schools have been trying to make some academic changes recently due to criticism that almost all students get A grades despite not showing to class and doing substandard work. There is tremendous Alumni pressure for those students to receive high marks...or else.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on May 4, 2009

I thought this thread was about David Taylor being an outstanding wrestler, not about what school is better. Why not start another thread to bicker instead of derailing this one?

Congratulations to David, and good luck in whatever you do. Great achievement, both in the classroom and on the mats.

► Add to the Discussion