Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: University of Illinois hires Jim Heffernan as its new head coach
Fred Feeney added to this discussion on April 28, 2009

http://themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=20234

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: University of Illinois hires Jim Heffernan as its new head coach
Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 28, 2009

Congrats to Jim Heffernan. Sounds like there's going to be continuity with the Illini wrestling program, which is always a good thing.

Jim's been one of the top assistants for a long time, and now gets to steward his own program.

Massillon Perry's Sam White should be a very good 133# wrestler for the Illini in the not so distant future.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on April 29, 2009

That is awesome for Mr. Heffernan, now if we could get John at CSU, it would be even better. I don't care if you like him or hate him, I have seen how he wants the kids to win, and still expects them to be respectfull off the mat. I think he would be great for our area. All respect for the current CSU head coach, but I think our area needs one of our own who has taken good wrestlers and made them great., Fireman, father and humble leader. I wish I had him as a coach in college.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 29, 2009

I understood the current CSU coach to be an Ohio boy? Is that correct? Perhaps he should get more than a year to turn things around.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

your right we should give him time, and he is an ohio guy, and that is always a good thing. I wish him the best it seems to be a very tough place to coach, given all the schools that pick are best of the best crop.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

Bill: I would hire John Heffernan yesterday to run CSU.

But I'd already have hired Erik Burnett.

I don't mind that Stehura wasn't a "wow" hiring as much as I'm bothered that the program is recruiting out-of-state kids that haven't done much. That just seems like a bad idea. But, then again, every time I post about who they've signed, no one says a word.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

I should have added that I'm thrilled Illinois hired Jim Heffernan.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

CSU's Ben Stehura an "Ohio boy" u say ?? he wr at Lock Haven, wheres he from in Ohio ??

the CSU selection process was a mystery to everyone i know in the biz-- didnt contact savvy local guys like Dan Fickel or even Pat Galbincea-- but AD Lee Reed ran it how he wanted to and selected who he wanted so now let's give Stehura a chance.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"CSU's Ben Stehura an "Ohio boy" u say ?? he wr at Lock Haven, wheres he from in Ohio ??

the CSU selection process was a mystery to everyone I know in the biz-- didnt contact savvy local guys like Dan Fickel or even Pat Galbincea-- but AD Lee Reed ran it how he wanted to and selected who he wanted so now let's give Stehura a chance."

Jefferson Area Schools

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

Quote:

"Stehura takes over CSU mat program
Karl Pearson - Ashtabula Star Beacon
August 21, 2008

Few persons have a better understanding of the history and traditions of Cleveland State University wrestling than Ben Stehura.

A knowledge of the Vikings’ program actually ranges back beyond the 1996 Jefferson High School graduate’s birth. His father, Pete, still an area high school wrestling official, was a part of the CSU wrestling program in the late 1960s for legendary coach Dick Bonacci, the founder of the program who turned it into a team of note on the national level, first in Division II, then in Division I.

Ben Stehura has his own connection to Cleveland State wrestling. After his graduation from Lock Haven University in Pennsylvania in 2000, Stehura spent a two-year stint at Cleveland State as a graduate assistant for Jack Effner while earning his master’s degree.

Given the chance to run his own program, the 30-year-old Stehura began the program at Limestone College in Gaffney, S.C. In just five years, Stehura has molded the Saints into an emerging power in Division II wrestling. This year, Dan Scanlan from Leesburg, Va. became Stehura’s first national champion.

With Stehura’s connections to Cleveland State wrestling, then, it seemed almost a natural for athletic director Lee Reed to select him as just the third head wrestling coach in school history. Stehura succeeds Effner, who resigned to take a guidance counseling position in Virginia Beach, Va. Effner succeeded Bonacci, who ran the CSU program for more than 30 years.

It will definitely be a homecoming for Stehura and his wife, Michelle, a Chicago native to whom he has been married for two years after meeting her while still at CSU. The former Michelle Jaworski was a team physician for the Vikings through her work at the Cleveland Clinic. It will get them back close to her parents, as well as Pete and Lynda Stehura, who still reside in Jefferson.

“We’re extremely happy to be coming home,” Ben Stehura said while closing up operations at Limestone and getting ready to make the transition to Cleveland State, where he officially takes over Sept. 2. “This is a tremendous opportunity for us.

“There are so many connections to the Cleveland State program. It started with my dad wrestling for Coach Bonacci. I grew up hearing stories about what a great program they had, even getting as high as third in the country. There is such great tradition there.”

Much of Reed’s decision to bring in Stehura no doubt comes from his desire to get Viking wrestling on the same upward swing other CSU programs have been making in just the last five years. Among those are the qualification for the NCAA Tournament by the volleyball team, featuring Geneva graduate Alexis Korovich, the women’s basketball team and the men’s golf team, which includes Perry product Kent Monas. The men’s basketball team reached the NIT this year.

“I understand what has been going on in the rest of the athletic program,” Stehura said. “I know the expectations are to continue that pursuit of excellence and be up there with the other programs.”

Unlike some of those programs, which have only recently come to prominence, the CSU wrestling team has maintained a tradition of excellence through the tenures of Bonacci and Effner. In fact, Bonacci still is on the scene.

“Coach Bonacci still is connected to the team,” Stehura said. “I’m counting on his continued input.”

The Vikings sent two wrestlers to the NCAA Tournament in 2008, 165-pounder Marcus Effner, son of the former coach, and heavyweight Rashard Goff. Effner’s return is uncertain, while Goff is a senior.

“They had a little bit of a down year, but Jack didn’t leave the cupboard bare,” Stehura said. “I think we have a solid foundation.

“We’re also bringing in an outstanding recruiting class. Jack recruited a high school national champion from Kansas who also happens to be a 4.0 student.”

Still, Stehura is looking to become even more competitive in the always-tough Eastern Wrestling League. It includes Edinboro, under the watchful eye of two-time Olympic champion Bruce Baumgartner, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Clarion. Bloomsburg and his old alma mater, Lock Haven.

“It’s a great league with great competition,” Stehura, who placed fifth for Jefferson his senior year and also made the Division II state tournament as a junior under the tutelage of Scott Francis, now coach at Kirtland, and Bill Nye, now Grand Valley superintendent.

Stehura will also be relying heavily upon his assistant coach, Anthony Coleman, who was a wrestler in the CSU program when Stehura was there previously.

“Anthony has kept the lines of communication open and is very aware of the wrestling scene in northeastern Ohio,” he said. “Recruiting season is over, but he already has some prospects for 2009.”

Even though he has been in South Carolina, Stehura has also kept an eye on the talent-rich Ohio wrestling scene.

“We had six guys from Ohio on our squad at Limestone,” he said. “We’ve been able to sneak a few kids down here out of Ohio. Now I’m looking forward to tapping into that talent even more.”

There will be some catching up for Stehura when he does take over the CSU program.

“It’s definitely late,” he said. “It’s not going to be a seamless transition, but we’ll just have to work real hard. Fortunately, we still have a lot of the key players here.”

Even though he’s been in a different wrestling environment for several seasons, Stehura hasn’t lost a feel for what plays in this part of the country and at CSU.

“I don’t have a southern accent,” he said with a laugh. “I’m still from the Midwest. My style is to be a grinder, to be very physical and to be going as hard in the third period as we were in the first.”

High standards are also expected academically from his wrestlers.

“You have to be a complete student-athlete to be a Division I athlete because it demands excellence in both areas,” Stehura said. “We don’t just want All-Americans at CSU. We want Academic All-Americans, too.

“We’re going to expect a lot of community service from our athletes, too. We want them to be ambassadors for their sport.”"

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 30, 2009

Dan,
i said too, let's give Stehura a chance, he might be the right guy---

however from those ive talked to AD Lee Reed did not, i repeat did not, seek counsel from some top local wrestling people, people who know the national scene and who would have been easily accessable. Think that was a mistake, it didnt have to be that way. But maybe he picked the right guy-- certainly we all hope so.

Hank, I couldn't agree more with regard to Erik, he is the quiet giant of our sport, total class, and always has time for a quick word. When they started looking for a CSU coach i remeber thinking what a great fit those two guys would be, imagine the situation with Mark Johnson, and Jim Heffernan, and put Erik and John together, what a room that would be, I would tighten the laces and get after it just to learn, these two guys really know the sport and the guys they coach would go through a wall for them. It would take a guy like Bob said, that would consult with the powers of wrestling in the area and reach out to a John or Erik and give them the support they need. If Mr. Stehura does this it will be on a shoe string budget and little school support, that is the way CSU has always been. Think of the all americans and NCAA champs that have never even considered the school. If they recruited within a hundred miles of the school they would be in the top twenty every year. I wish CSU all the success because this sport is tough and even tougher when your going up hill by yourselves.

I want to be clear who would be the powers of local wrestling, it would have to be Hank, Dan, and Bob, giving no preference and favor for order. Guys I really have enjoyed your opinions, and believe your ideas should be listened to, because I have realized that with age comes wisdom, and I believe you guys are way ahead of me in age, and certainly in wisdom. I look at the website 5 to 10 times a day and read some great stuff. It has been my pleasure to participate in your forums.

► Add to the Discussion