Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The Ray Mendoza Leadership 5K Run/Walk
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 25, 2009

The Ohio State University ROTC cadets proudly sponsor the first annual Ray Mendoza Leadership 5k Run/Walk, held on Saturday, May 23, beginning at 7:30 a.m. with an 8:30 a.m. race time.

The race begins and ends at Page Hall, 1810 College Road, Columbus, Ohio. Easy parking at the Union Garage.

Proceeds from the Run/Walk benefit the Major Ray Mendoza Leadership Institute initiative at the John Glenn School of Public Affairs at The Ohio State University.

Registration fees are $25 per participant until May 22 and $30 per participant on race day. The first 300 racers will be given a commemorative t-shirt and awards will be presented to the top 3 overall male and female participants as well as the the top 3 male and female in the following age groups: 19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60 and over.

To register for the race, log on to: http://www.premierraces.com/2009Races/RayMendoza.html

The Ray Mendoza Leadership 5k Run/Walk is held in memory of Major Ray Mendoza, USMC, who was killed in the line of duty in 2005, and left behind a legacy of leadership and public service. The Major Ray Mendoza Leadership Institute initiative at the Glenn School will teach, train and graduate future leaders who are willing to similarly dedicate their lives and careers to the public good.

(Kirk...well worth the copy and paste. Hope I beat you to it!)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 27, 2009

ttt

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 27, 2009

Mark-

You going to be there?

I don't work that day and I printed the flyer. So, I will likely be there.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 29, 2009

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Mark-

You going to be there?

I don't work that day and I printed the flyer. So, I will likely be there."

I have clearance from the Mrs. so really, there are only but one or two things to clear up in order to give the "All in" call. There is nothing more I'd rather do than celebrate what this man did with his life and through his death...especially given the Memorial Day weekend.

Hopefully I can get some of my buddies to come along. Although they aren't necessarily wrestling fans, they most certainly are Men of Valor fans. Hopefully I can hear some first-hand stories about him from old teammates (if they're willing) in order to experience the personal side of Ray.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 2, 2009

I think I'm safe to give the "All-in" here. Saturday, early in the morning. I've got to think I'm golden. See you then.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 3, 2009

I'm in. Sent my registration in a couple days ago.
Rex

Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on May 13, 2009

We (Wrestle Against Autism) would like to invite you to have a table on the concourse at our event. If you would like to.
Just contact me or Coach Ryan. We talked about it at lunch yesterday, thought it would help you guys out with your numbers, especially since he was a member of the wrestling family.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 23, 2009

Excellent event today. Coach Ryan, Tommy Rowlands, J Jaggers and family, and bunch of Buckeye wrestlers were there. I guess the plan was to have the Buckeye wrestlers carry a mat for the 5k, but Memorial Day weekend prevented that from happening. I guess it is in the works for next year. This event will grow. It was fun to see the Marine ROTC run in formation and hear their cadence.

Tommy Rowlands handled the mic before the race and asked that someone outrace former UM grad and captain Matt Stout. It was all in good fun and Stout is still one tough dude as he finished 5th after being hospitalized with a bout of diverticulitis 3 wks ago. It was funny because he was mulling over running with me and as the race started he said something to the effect of I gotta win this and sprinted off like a madman.

Easy parking at the Student Union parking garage and very nice emotional speech about Ray beforehand.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 24, 2009

Rex: I loved it. Perfect. BTW: You passed me EARLY on. I'd have said hey, but I was having trouble breathing. Did I mention I was sore from foot to head today!?!?!

As for the mat...That would be awesome. I look forward to this event next year, and hope to bring some friends. I wore my shirt today, and a couple of those friends commented..."Why didn't you say something???" Maybe next year.

If you see Mike D. anytime soon, tell him thanks for everything.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 26, 2009

Mark-

I felt it in my knee as pavement is unforgiving.

ohiortc.com has some race footage on their website

Just watched you, Be a leader, not a follower

► Add to the Discussion