Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Random Stuff
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from John Joyce's post:

"That would matter if schools didn't "create" other aid for athletes outside of athletic scholarships. All schools do it. Taylor I'm sure would receive plenty of aid and his dad being a pilot removes the release from being a factor..."

Just wondering, how does being a pilot remove the release from being a factor?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

He is implying pilots make good money, so the scholarship should not matter that much in regards to him attending.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"He is implying pilots make good money, so the scholarship should not matter that much in regards to him attending."

Maybe, but that was right after he said Taylor would receive plenty of aid. If his father makes good money he would not receive a lot of aid, nor should he. So that just seemed confusing to me.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

yes Cody Gardner has left the team.

Ohio St is high on both incoming freshman 174 Heflin and on 197 Magrum. Paddock might start even, at 133.

Ohio st and Penn st BOTH have alot of $$ to sign seniors next November.

i am told heard that Jim Heffernan former St Eds great and U of Iowa NCAA champion will be announced Monday as U of Illinois head coach.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Great news about Jim Heffernan. He strikes me as deserving this chance.

"With Rowlands not on staff, there is no true "upperweight coach""

Tommy still around, still head of their ORTC--- and can do what they did with Tommy, that is bring in football players who've been state wrestling champs, guys like that who are still in area, and RoundRobin him-- thats a workout !! maybe Rex Holman available ? J.D. still around too.

By the way, the Altons are announcing their decision to attend Penn State on a local radio show tomorrow morning.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Would Steve Luke coming on as a grad assistant be "random stuff"?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Would Steve Luke coming on as a grad assistant be "random stuff"?"

Mike: I'm assuming you mean at TOSU and not another traitor job at. . . well, I can't even type it.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Does Max Thomusseit become priority no.1- even moreso than Jamie Clark now? I say yes.

John Joyce added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"He is implying pilots make good money, so the scholarship should not matter that much in regards to him attending."

Maybe, but that was right after he said Taylor would receive plenty of aid. If his father makes good money he would not receive a lot of aid, nor should he. So that just seemed confusing to me."

He will receive aid because they can give it to him. It does not have to be need based. Whether he "needs" aid from a financial standpoint or not, he will receive it. It is similar to aid packages created by Div. III schools. They cannot give athletic scholarships so they get very creative with financial aid packages for athletes. Same thing happens at big schools to work within scholarship limitations.

So my point was both that he will get decent amount of aid from PSU in a non-athletic or need based package along with his father making good money and the difference between cost and aid amount meaning even less.

My main point was he has many options and that the release is not really a factor, (at all IMO but,) definitely at least not nearly as much as Gary seems to believe...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Would Steve Luke coming on as a grad assistant be "random stuff"?"

Mike: I'm assuming you mean at TOSU and not another traitor job at. . . well, I can't even type it."

Yeah, I've heard from several people now that 3X AA and undefeated NCAA champion, Steve Luke will be attending THE Ohio State University for graduate school next year and volunteering as an assistant for the Buckeyes.

Perfect position, stellar defense and the best stand-up in the business. Stuff every program could use.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Many have talked about how much Luke will help Sponseller but I agree with someone who posted he may be much more beneficial to guys like Rella and Pucillo due to his size. Another think I would like to see is Luke take fellow Perry stud Heflin and mold him into a hammer.

yes 189 from SPG junior Thomusseit high on the ladder of potential recruits. 152 Demas from Westerville North, too.

but the buckeyes, after 2 straight NCAA runnerup finishes, now look beyond Ohio' borders anymore, too. Think PA which has a motherload of talent in their junior class now. .

and BTW, don't be shocked if Joe Heskett gets the Iowa St job.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on April 23, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Since someone else mentioned it, I also heard about Luke attending Ohio State at the district tournament. He got into dental school at Ohio State, pretty good program and relatively inexpensive. I was not sure about his involvement in wrestling going forward, but he certainly is around the OSU campus.

Given his loyalty to his HS alma mater, he certainly will be around to mentor Nick Heflin. I see Heflin as the future at 184 pounds after the redshirt year and Pucillo's graduation. Driven, determined, likes to compete, and has high character.

In terms of the Illini, glad for Heffernan to get a chance. Hopefully the staff stays with him, as they have good lower and middle weight coaches in Jeremy Hunter and Carl Perry.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""With Rowlands not on staff, there is no true "upperweight coach""

Tommy still around, still head of their ORTC--- and can do what they did with Tommy, that is bring in football players who've been state wrestling champs, guys like that who are still in area, and RoundRobin him-- thats a workout !! maybe Rex Holman available ? J.D. still around too.

By the way, the Altons are announcing their decision to attend Penn State on a local radio show tomorrow morning."

I understood the interview to mean that he will not be the head of the RTC anymore. Could be wrong though.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next