Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Random Stuff
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

1) Tom Rowlands has resigned as an Ohio State wrestling coach although he will remain in charge of Ohio RTC. He has business opportunities in the Columbus area. He will still be around the program.

2) J Jaggers will take his place on staff. So, one 2x NCAA champ will replace another.

3) Cody Gardner is no longer a member of the Ohio State wrestling squad. I don't know what happened but he will not be back next season. The losses of Weakley and Gardner just go to show that there are no sure things at the next level. This also means that the Bucks will have more money than they expected--which is important...

4) If David Taylor is released from his NLI, the Buck will probably have the necessary scholarship dollars available to attract him to Columbus. Maybe they have no shot here but my gut tells me they do. Cael's priority at PSU will be to sign Pennsylvania studs. Taylor could become available.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Put it this way, if David Taylor does not end up in Happy Valley, it would be a SIGNIFICANT surprise.

I think the Weakley/Gardner money will probably go towards trying to bring in Jamie Clark, whom it is now open season on - if it wasn't already - for Ohio State.

Depending on what the staff if projecting out of Heflin and/or Magrum, 197 is a huge priority. All that's there is Jason Cook, and he's only there short term.

With Rowlands not on staff, there is no true "upperweight coach" -- though J.D. Bergman is in the picture (and Rowlands too) -- for Ohio State. For those that obsess over "balance" in a staff.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

But wow, I really haven't been paying attention and BAM, Tommy Rowlands has moved on to greener career pastures.

Last edited by Nicholas Sestito on April 22, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Great info, Hank. Thanks.

I would think, however, that keeping Taylor would be priority 1 for Cael. Not just for collegiate wrestling, but in the interview of Takedown Radio I heard Cael mention that he wants State College to be a premier training center for the Olympics, and Taylor (to me) looks like a future gold medalist.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Great info, Hank. Thanks.

I would think, however, that keeping Taylor would be priority 1 for Cael. Not just for collegiate wrestling, but in the interview of Takedown Radio I heard Cael mention that he wants State College to be a premier training center for the Olympics, and Taylor (to me) looks like a future gold medalist."

And Tony Mandarich and Brian Bosworth once looked like future Hall of Famers. It is waaaaaaaay to early to be saying that.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

I wonder if Cael's presence at Penn State along with a desire to create a training center for Olympians will detract Ohioans from tOSU and the RTC.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

When Russ Hellickson resigned, ISU promoted Cael out of fear of losing him to Ohio State. Ryan was subsequently hired. It seems to have worked out just fine for the Buckeyes. Cael may yet do great things as a head coach but has a ways to go. Right now, Columbus is a very good place to be.

Mr Lowe: I disagree with you. I think Taylor to Ohio State makes more sense than Clark although I'd love either or both.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

When did Gardner become separated from the team? How did you find this out?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

I'd tell you....but I'd have to kill you.

I don't think is a huge secret. Not everyone that has info posts it on forums. I always ask for permission before posting this type of stuff.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

I have no clue what David Taylor will do, but if training for the olympic styles is a priority for him, Ohio State offers far more in that regard right now than Penn State does. Ohio State already has a regional training center. They also have Lou Rosselli who is the best freestyle coach in the country. Although PSU has the Nittanny Lion Wrestling Club, they do not have a proven coach on staff that is the caliber of Lou Rosselli.

With regard to 197, Magrum will be there next year. Jason Cook is graduating and has decided not to return to the team. Magrum is now up over 200lbs. He is wrestling 211 this weekend in Akron so we will get an early peak at how he is adjusting to the weight.

I agree that 197 remains a top priority. It will become an even bigger problem in 2010-2011 after Pucillo and Rella graduate. Then you are going to have two guys Heflin and Magrum to man 174, 184, 197. With OSU having a little more depth in the 141-157 range maybe you will see a sitiuation where Nemec moves up to 165, Colt goes 174, Heflin 184 and Magrum 197. It will be interestingto see how it works out.

Finally, the Bucks will have several guys in action this Saturday and Sunday in Akron for University Nationals. Triggas, Humphrey, Rella, Magrum just to name a few. If you want to see some great freestyle wrestling close by this is your chance.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

What weight does Taylor plan on wrestling? I assume that will play a factor where he will go.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Matt Schein's post:

"What weight does Taylor plan on wrestling? I assume that will play a factor where he will go."

The biggest factor on where he will go is if he requests and receives a release from Iowa State.

Keep the horse in front of the cart, guys. :)

John Joyce added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Matt Schein's post:

"What weight does Taylor plan on wrestling? I assume that will play a factor where he will go."

You do realize he can go wherever he wants, he just has to use his redshirt. He has many choices at this point. He could stay at ISU (doubtful IMO). He could get released and go to PSU and wrestle next year. He coulg not get released, go to PSU, and redshirt next year leaving all 4 years of eligibility with the option for an olympic redshirt in his 4 years (most likely option IMO), or he could not enroll in college, go train at an OTC somewhere, enroll anywhere he wants a year later and have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility there. He has many options at this point and him getting a release is not that big of a factor...

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from John Joyce's post:

"You do realize he can go wherever he wants, he just has to use his redshirt. He has many choices at this point. He could stay at ISU (doubtful IMO). He could get released and go to PSU and wrestle next year. He coulg not get released, go to PSU, and redshirt next year leaving all 4 years of eligibility with the option for an olympic redshirt in his 4 years (most likely option IMO), or he could not enroll in college, go train at an OTC somewhere, enroll anywhere he wants a year later and have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility there. He has many options at this point and him getting a release is not that big of a factor..."

Because he has a redshirt year the release is not as big a factor, but the lack of release is still significant. If you do not receive a release you cannot receive an athletic scholarship during the year you are sitting out. So if Taylor is not released and he goes to PSU that first year is on his nickle (actually a lot of nickles as PSU will cost an Ohio resident around $35,000 for room board and tutition.)

John Joyce added to this discussion on April 23, 2009

Quote from Gary Corroto's post:

"Because he has a redshirt year the release is not as big a factor, but the lack of release is still significant. If you do not receive a release you cannot receive an athletic scholarship during the year you are sitting out. So if Taylor is not released and he goes to PSU that first year is on his nickle (actually a lot of nickles as PSU will cost an Ohio resident around $35,000 for room board and tutition.)"

That would matter if schools didn't "create" other aid for athletes outside of athletic scholarships. All schools do it. Taylor i'm sure would receive plenty of aid and his dad being a pilot removes the release from being a factor...

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next