Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Recruiting - Spring 2009
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

Any news I'm not seeing out there? Josh, Dan, et al, who are the big names in the state still unsigned?

OSU, KSU, CSU, Ohio - any new names?

I've seen on InterMat that OU signed Garringer (IL), Gifford, and Sanders this spring. What else is happening?

Recruiting is one of my favorite topics to discuss, very curious to see who is heading where.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on April 20, 2009

Ethan:
I agree, recruiting is a great topic because we get to see the guys grow up and move on to bigger and better things. (And in cases like Jaggers, win two national championships!)

Honestly I have not checked recruiting info in quite a while, but when I do I update our recruiting page.

For those of you that haven't seen it, here is the link: http://www.ohiowrestling.net/recruiting/

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 20, 2009

The transition with Jason Bryant leaving InterMat and now the recent "reorganization" of InterMat has led to kind of a vacuum for this season's recruiting process.

Once the full re-org. comes and goes with InterMat, I have the sense that things will be flowing like they were before (maybe not as precise and perfectly but somewhat close).

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

Who are the top unsigned seniors coming out of Ohio?

I am intrigued to see who heads to Kent. With such a strong year, I look for them to capitilize with some solid incoming freshmen.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

So many guys now sign early that it's kind of a "mop-up" for programs like Ohio State and Kent. They'll both undoubtedly add a few recruits. But it's not likely they'll find any impact wrestlers except through transfer.

As to the Buckeyes, the most intriguing question is whether or not they have a shot at David Taylor or Jamie Clark. Clark and Stieber alone would make a great recruiting class. As to Taylor, he may want to follow Cael but who knows what kind of money PSU has left to use? Does Taylor make sense for PSU? Or do they now vigorously pursue the Alton twins? A lot of current talent in PA--do they have money for all these wrestlers and Taylor?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So many guys now sign early that it's kind of a "mop-up" for programs like Ohio State and Kent. They'll both undoubtedly add a few recruits. But it's not likely they'll find any impact wrestlers except through transfer.

As to the Buckeyes, the most intriguing question is whether or not they have a shot at David Taylor or Jamie Clark. Clark and Stieber alone would make a great recruiting class. As to Taylor, he may want to follow Cael but who knows what kind of money PSU has left to use? Does Taylor make sense for PSU? Or do they now vigorously pursue the Alton twins? A lot of current talent in PA--do they have money for all these wrestlers and Taylor?"

Hank, don't you have to wait to see if ISU releases Taylor before speculating? They might, but then again.....................

Gary: That goes without saying. My thoughts were hypothetical and speculative.

"Gary: That goes without saying. My thoughts were hypothetical and speculative."

Gotcha! :)

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

Please believe me when I say that I don't want to bring the Cael is right or wrong argument here. But since the topic is recruiting, I wonder if the recent turn of events, including Cael and the VT situation, doesn't cause two things to happen with recruiting:

1. Wrestlers who sign early get special agreements to be let out under certain circumstances (such as was reported about Platt at PSU); or

2. Wrestlers wait until later to sign to be as sure as possible they don't get stuck losing a year to follow a coach or wrestle for someone for whom they did not plan on wrestling.

It would be very hard for any of the top high school guys to claim ignorance if they get stuck in between cosches again. Anyone remotely affiliated with wrestling knwos the PSU and VT situations by now.

Except for unavailable money, I don't know why Clark won't go with Cael. Its even better for him being closer to home. Taylor has the potential of a year lost.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

Why would Clark go to Ohio State when Stieber is going there? They would seem to project to the same weight, 125. I think Clark ends up at PSU.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Why would Clark go to Ohio State when Stieber is going there? They would seem to project to the same weight, 125. I think Clark ends up at PSU."

Because the OSU homers want him to? :)

Mike and Gary: You're both right. But many have opined that Stieber is likely to go 133. I happen to think he can put in a few years at 125 if need be. Paddock is probably a future 141 while C. Palmer takes over for L.Palmer in year.

As to why would OSU want Jamie Clark? He may well be a career 125. I also think he's highly regarded by college coaches due to his aggressive style. Ultimately, you can't have enough talent.

Could OSU afford to bring in Clark with Stieber in the fold? My guess is they'd find the money.

As to Taylor, his likely second college choice was Ohio State. Given the current circumstances, he could ask for an NLI release. Or he could train at the Ohio RTC for a year and then join the squad. The biggest reason for him to change his mind would be due to money and/or a sense of betrayal. Cael's reasons for making this move invite a lot of speculation. The Taylors may or may not be speculating on them as well.

Just thoughts here. No facts.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

It will be interesting to see how the Taylor 'saga' plays out. He is currently a lanky 135, and I've read that he could grow into a 149 or so in a year or two.

That would put him at the same weights as the Alton twins, who are somewhat shorter, more muscled and don't give me the impression that they will get much bigger. (but hey, what do I know)

There is also Peppleman - rumored to be following his older brother to Harvard - who is currently at 152.

Where Taylor ends up weight-wise may impact who PSU can recruits or which recruits would be interested?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

JP: I think Taylor will be a 149 by next year given his growth curve. He could end up as high as 174.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

"JP: I think Taylor will be a 149 by next year given his growth curve. He could end up as high as 174."

If he did the "sit out of college for a year" ('09-'10) (either as a Part time student or the OTC route) and then redshirt the next year ('10-'11) -- and olympic year ('11-'12), he could not hit the college mats till the 2012-2013 season. I think he could get to 174 by then. :)

Going the route listed above, he may be even able to beat Randy Lewis for longest enrollment at a school.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next