Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Video: Dustin Schlatter v. Keith Gavin [2009 National Semifinals in Freestyle]
Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-ZuFT-2Zg&fmt=18

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Video: Dustin Schlatter v. Keith Gavin [2009 National Semifinals in Freestyle]
Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

Tough call... I watched the end at least 10 times, and still not sure what to think.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

I think freestyle rules currently stink.

If the overtime clinch were done in a more controlled fashion: grab leg (pause), put hands on back (2 sec pause), ref blows whistle and go at it, there wouldn't be all this jockeying going on. The problems are because as soon as the offensive man grabs the leg he goes while at the same time, the defensive man is supposed to put hands on his back (not shoulders) when he's coming in. Set up is crap-o-la.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

As I posted on JJ.....the rules are what they are, and Dustin did not set up right...hence he got the "attention", told to do it right...he didn't...the referee had no choice but to caution...as the current rules require and he loses.

I don't agree with the penalty, but it is what is..for now.

Should be another way to do it, but....the athletes were told (or should of been by their coaches from a clinic given to the coachesl) how it was going to be called and what the consequences were of setting up wrong.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

Here's my comment:

If you watch the Russians compete in freestyle, their matches almost never go to the clinch. Why? Because they're trained to score.

American folkstyle competitors have a very hard time transitioning to this newest set of freestyle rules. In collegiate wrestling, often the idea is to capitalize on your opponent's mistake. You get our best collegians wrestling under these new rules and they just can't pull the trigger on good offensive manuvers. So, you end up with clinches and crappy outcomes.

Henry Cejudo didn't go to the clinch in the Olympics. He never wrestled in college. And he won the Gold. Coincidence? Doubt it.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

Hank, I agree. I have long felt that years of folkstyle puts U.S. wrestlers at a disadvantage in international competition. It would be interesting to get Harry Lester's opinion on this, as I know he is an occasional poster here.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

Dustin is looking nice and thick though. I think the weight jump will be very beneficial and I would consider him a contender wherever he ends up. Minnesota has a solid middleweight core...

149: Mario Mason
157: Dustin Schlatter or Jake Deitchler
165: Dustin Schlatter or Jake Deitchler

Two of these three have yet to prove themselves on the collegiate level but I think they will.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on April 21, 2009

I've been saying this since the NCAA Tournament...
2010 NCAA D1 Final at 165 pounds: Dustin Schlatter versus Colt Sponseller

I don't think it is much of a stretch. Colt did everything this year except place at the national tournament. Dustin is just too talented to be denied.

Of course there will be tremendous competition.

Returning All-Americans
Andrew Howe - Sophomore - University of Wisconsin (2nd place)
Ryan Morningstar - Senior - University of Iowa (3rd place)
Dan Vallimont - Senior - Pennsylvania State University (3rd in 2008 at 157)
Jon Reader - Junior - Iowa State University (4th place)
Mack Lewnes - Junior - Cornell University (4th in 2008)
Andy Rendos - Senior - Bucknell University (5th place)
Nick Marable - Senior - University of Missouri (7th place)
Stephen Dwyer - Senior - University of Nebraska (8th place)

Plus national qualifiers like...
Ryan Patrovich - Junior - Hofstra University (Upset top-seeded Lewnes in the first round)
Luke Manuel - Junior - Purdue University (Lost match to AA, knocked out Sponseller at the Big Ten Tournament when they were freshmen)
Chris Brown - Senior - Old Dominion University (Majored two-time national champion Mark Perry in a dual)

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Leo... we are the only country in the world with folkstyle. Imagine if middle school kids started out with FS/GR and after 2 years there, 4 years of high school and 4 years of college. The USA would be in a better standing on the world stage. Maybe we change to freestyle during the season and wrestle folkstyle only in the summer. Would that help?

Could you see the NFHS and the NCAA agree to style changes? lol

► Add to the Discussion