Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: College futures of David Taylor and Jamie Clark?
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Teaching contracts expire at the end of each school year. AGAIN, who leaves mid-year? Coaches often have multi-year contracts, teachers never do. Poor, poor analogy. :("

You should do some research before you type (and before you try to be condesending). Teachers in my wife's District (and every other District I know of) get evaluated, and then get offered a two, three or five year contract (continued contract or tenure are possibilities for teachers who have been around a long time). Some young teachers sometimes get one year deals, but it's certainly not the norm. If a teacher chooses to switch districts, then they break that contract. It happens all the time, every year in every district.

The reason it's not a good analogy for you, it it shows how few people, whether under or over 50 agree with your right is right mentality. At the very least you have to admit that it is becoming clear that your mentality is just that, YOURS, and simply not the universial standard that you think it is.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Teaching contracts expire at the end of each school year. AGAIN, who leaves mid-year? Coaches often have multi-year contracts, teachers never do. Poor, poor analogy. :("

You should do some research before you type (and before you try to be condesending). Teachers in my wife's District (and every other District I know of) get evaluated, and then get offered a two, three or five year contract (continued contract or tenure are possibilities for teachers who have been around a long time). Some young teachers sometimes get one year deals, but it's certainly not the norm. If a teacher chooses to switch districts, then they break that contract. It happens all the time, every year in every district.

The reason it's not a good analogy for you, it it shows how few people, whether under or over 50 agree with your right is right mentality. At the very least you have to admit that it is becoming clear that your mentality is just that, YOURS, and simply not the universial standard that you think it is."

I am sure it is not anymore. This wouldn't be the first or only moral that has deteriorated in this me first society we now seem to be living in. It is a true shame that integrity has taken a hit, and few seem to want to stand behind their word anymore.

That you have no problem with that says much more about you than it does me, as does the fact that you don't seem able to even realize it..

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

I'd like to agree with you that with age comes wisdom and maturity, but this isn't true. I know a lot of people older than me that aren't as wise or mature as me. But that is an entirely different topic.

How do you feel about companies, businesses, schools, etc. that fire those who are doing their job based on their job description in their contract?

How is that keeping contract?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

I wonder what percentage of posts in this thread actually have anything to do with Clark and Taylor. I keep checking back to see if there is actually anything relevant, only to be disappointed once again...

Quote from Kevin Petrella's post:

"I'd like to agree with you that with age comes wisdom and maturity, but this isn't true. I know a lot of people older than me that aren't as wise or mature as me. But that is an entirely different topic.

How do you feel about companies, businesses, schools, etc. that fire those who are doing their job based on their job description in their contract?

How is that keeping contract?"

If they pay them the remainder of their salary, and whatever else they are contractually obligated to, then that is typically keeping the contract. Fired coaches and managers get paid whatever they are entitled to. That is usually how it is conducted.

Nothing is absolute, but there is no doubt in general with age comes maturity.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I wonder what percentage of posts in this thread actually have anything to do with Clark and Taylor. I keep checking back to see if there is actually anything relevant, only to be disappointed once again..."

If there was something to say about them someone would. Taylor has a signed NLI, so what is there to say about him at this point? Anything about him that does not come from him or ISU is empty speculation.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

This thread has gone over 100 post and about 10 of them relate to the college future of Taylor and Clark. Obviously, Gary has a different oppinion than Mike (aka Nietzsche) and seemingly most others who post here. Gary, you seem to want to frame this in the following way:
over 50= high integrity
under 50=low integrity
This is obviously not the case in all circumstance as there are numerous examples of younger people with high integrity and older people with none. I think the real difference in these two groups has more to do with philosophy and less with integrity. Many (not all) people over 50 look at things in absolutes(very evident when talking politics or religion with my Dad). This dicotomous type of thinking causes people to classify things as black or white, right or wrong, etc. Younger people tend take a more postmodernist/perpectivist view on things. Basically, your reality it determined by the lense (belief system) through which you view the world. Now that we have that cleared up can we talk wrestling?

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"This thread has gone over 100 post and about 10 of them relate to the college future of Taylor and Clark. Obviously, Gary has a different oppinion than Mike (aka Nietzsche) and seemingly most others who post here. Gary, you seem to want to frame this in the following way:
over 50= high integrity
under 50=low integrity
This is obviously not the case in all circumstance as there are numerous examples of younger people with high integrity and older people with none. I think the real difference in these two groups has more to do with philosophy and less with integrity. Many (not all) people over 50 look at things in absolutes. This dicotomous type of thinking causes people to classify things as black or white, right or wrong, etc. Younger people tend take a more postmodernist/perpectivist view on things. Basically, your reality it determined by the lense (belief system) through which you view the world. Now that we have that cleared up can we talk wrestling?"

Scott, I have said a few times now there are no absolutes, but as a general rule with age comes maturity and wisdom. One reason that contracts and contract law have become so convoluted is because of people's unwillingness in many (not all) cases to stand behind their word so contracts became more and more necessary.

I arbitrarily chose 50 because I am 52 and have seen a drastic change in my time regarding how quickly people are willing to go back on their word. Words seem to mean nothing anymore, God forbid handshakes seem to mean even less, and now apparently a number of people believe it is okay to break legal agreements. Is there an end to this?

Talk wrestling, who is stopping you. This subject has little to say. Taylor has a signed NLI and until he is released he is a Cyclone, or nothing at all.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Gary wrote: "I arbitrarily chose 50 because I am 52 and have seen a drastic change in my time regarding how quickly people are willing to go back on their word."

Good thing you're not 62 because then those under 60 would have no integrity. :-)

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Gary wrote: "I arbitrarily chose 50 because I am 52 and have seen a drastic change in my time regarding how quickly people are willing to go back on their word."

Good thing you're not 62 because then those under 60 would have no integrity. :-)"

Or 82. :)

We all observe and comment from our perspective. Mine is of someone who has been here 52 years.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Nevermind, I am tired.

I will end with this on this topic (and the topic) Taylor will excel at any institution. Jamie Clark, in my opinion, will now look around but not too much. I think they both end up at Penn State and that plain stinks for Buckeye fans, but what can you do.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Out of my own need to get into this conversation purely for self promotion (I'm only 39),...could I be the promoter of the MMA match between Bitter and Gary? I like your tenacity though. Great quality in a wrestler!

Or at the very least...could you guys correspond with each other via email/PM on this topic, since neither of you seem to be willing to put it down?

The rest of us get it: Times have changed and in many cases a handshake isn't as good as it used to be.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

Scott...I can't believe you worked Friedrich Nietzsche into a post on a wrestling site. Well done.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

So, if you guys were in Taylor's situation, what would you do for this upcoming season?

Me: I'd transfer to PSU (if that means that I'd have to sit out this year and then have 4 to compete 4 because I'd plan on taking an Olympic year after my RS freshman year anyway). If immediate transfer means I can't use redshirt and then have the following 4 years to compete 3, I'd sit out the first year and then enroll at PSU.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2009

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
Friedrich Nietzsche

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next