Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: College futures of David Taylor and Jamie Clark?
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

I think many assume Taylor follows Cael to Penn State but what of Jamie Clark? If the Altons sign with Penn State imagine a lineup that had Taylor and both Altons.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

I talked with all of them today (already) and gave them my advice, which is to say, I gave them Tom Ryan's phone number and email address. I want all four at THEE Ohio State University and I want them there soon. I want a national championship soon. Very soon. And when we get our first, I want AT LEAST one more before these guys graduate.

However... (BOOOOO!!!!!!!!)

The Alton boys really like Mr. Flynn at Edinboro. And how could you not? He's a great guy and an outstanding coach. David still likes Cael. Again, how could you not. I've known Cael for a long time...he is a class act. I'll never forget the time he was over to the house and he...well, maybe another time.

As for Mr. Clark...he told me he still wants to wrestle in college. Not only that, though, he wants to win a national title...or three. This is one driven kid who said he doesn't mind the move and will work through it. He'll win his NC no matter the singlet. I would not be surprised to see him go to Florida International and start a program there...that's just the way this kid is.

All in all, it's going to be exciting to see how everything unfolds. And remember...rumors aren't cool...but pure idiocy is my specialty! I can honestly say that I have never talked to any of the above metioned. Actually that's not true. I once said hi to and shook the hand of David Taylor and his father. But that was about three years ago and has zero bearing on the above post.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

I remember some time last year on a forum someone posted a photo of
Taylor sitting in class with a Penn State wrestling t-shirt. The comment said something like "what would Cael have to say about that?". I guess Cael doesn't have a problem with it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

If they were willing to go out to Iowa St. to wrestle for Sanderson, they'll likely be willing to go to State College. Even if Taylor isn't released, he'll have his red-shirt year to be held out. Jamie Clark will just change his mind and verbal to Penn State. It's a no-brainer, when you consider everything a college has to offer, Penn State has it over Iowa St, plus it's closer. They just didn't have Cael or the wrestling program that guys like Taylor and Clark wanted. Now they do (or soon will).

The class of 2010 in PA is just loaded with talent. Red-shirt Taylor, fellow in coming freshman Ed Ruth and All American true-frosh Quinten Wright and come back two years from now with both Altons and Jamie Clark. The Virginia Tech guys will be gone from Iowa and there will be a new day in the world of college wrestling.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Mike: You have excellent points but I see one flaw--wrestling dollars are limited. You can't sign them all unless they're willing to take less.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Hasn't anyone noticed that Sanderson turned his back on Taylor when he bolted to Penn State? Shouldn't loyalty be a two-way street?

Why would any parent be in such a hurry to send their kid to a coach who pulled that on the boy?

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Gary,
I was thinking the same thing. Sanderson just cost Taylor a year - not necessarily a year of competition, but a year. Maybe Taylor won't follow him because Sanderson LEFT HIM?!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"Hasn't anyone noticed that Sanderson turned his back on Taylor when he bolted to Penn State? Shouldn't loyalty be a two-way street?

Why would any parent be in such a hurry to send their kid to a coach who pulled that on the boy?"

I get that you guys want Taylor to be a Buckeye, but come on. If that was the case, no kid would ever follow a coach. It's a fact of life that no one keeps a job for their entire career. So, if you switch jobs, ever, you're going to have kids you leave behind and kids who were on the way in. The only way that wouldn't happen is if you anounced four years ahead of time when you would be switching and where you would be going.

Tom Ryan didn't turn his back on the Hoftra wrestlers. Mike Pucillo seemed to be open to the idea of following him to tOSU. Same with Tom Brands and the Virginia Tech guys, including incoming freshmen like Billy Murphy.

"Why would any parent be in such a hurry to send their kid to a coach who pulled that on the boy?"...Well, maybe they understand that it was an incredible opportunity (much like Ryan to tOSU). Maybe they understand that while their son is very important to Coach Sanderson, his family is probably a little more important, and he made the right decision for his family. Also, maybe David Taylor is happy to be able to wrestle for the coach he wanted to at a school that is closer to home and has a huge opportunity to push it's way to the top spot in the NCAAs. And any talk about Taylor losing a year is still premature. They may release him, he may have wanted to sit a year to put on some good weight. let's just wait and see how this shakes out.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Michael: One point...it was stated by Mike Pucillo himself that he wanted to come back to Ohio LONG before (3 to 5 months) before the Ohio State job had even opened up. So, Ryan would have follow Mike.

But with that aside, as I scrolled down and read the posts, I formulated my opinions concerning what I was reading...unreal!!! The one thing that stuck out to me was that I SERIOUSLY doubt that this info hit David like it hit us, the public. I am sure talks were had and opinions shared before all this broke. So as we are blindsided by this, those in the know not only knew but have a full-out blueprint made for the next five years as to how things are going to go.

As far as loyalty...I think you have two types... #1: To the school... #2: To a coach. I think as wrestlers grow, one could feed the other and morph into a third, that being a mixture of the two.

Either way, my biggest thing is it is their life... NOT MINE!!!!!! Cael Sanderson could stop coaching or start a program at Florida International for all I care. It's his choice. Same with David Taylor! In any and all circumstances you hope for the best in the individuals involved.

Christopher Sommers added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"Hasn't anyone noticed that Sanderson turned his back on Taylor when he bolted to Penn State? Shouldn't loyalty be a two-way street?

Why would any parent be in such a hurry to send their kid to a coach who pulled that on the boy?"

I get that you guys want Taylor to be a Buckeye, but come on. If that was the case, no kid would ever follow a coach. It's a fact of life that no one keeps a job for their entire career. So, if you switch jobs, ever, you're going to have kids you leave behind and kids who were on the way in. The only way that wouldn't happen is if you anounced four years ahead of time when you would be switching and where you would be going.

Tom Ryan didn't turn his back on the Hoftra wrestlers. Mike Pucillo seemed to be open to the idea of following him to tOSU. Same with Tom Brands and the Virginia Tech guys, including incoming freshmen like Billy Murphy.

"Why would any parent be in such a hurry to send their kid to a coach who pulled that on the boy?"...Well, maybe they understand that it was an incredible opportunity (much like Ryan to tOSU). Maybe they understand that while their son is very important to Coach Sanderson, his family is probably a little more important, and he made the right decision for his family. Also, maybe David Taylor is happy to be able to wrestle for the coach he wanted to at a school that is closer to home and has a huge opportunity to push it's way to the top spot in the NCAAs. And any talk about Taylor losing a year is still premature. They may release him, he may have wanted to sit a year to put on some good weight. let's just wait and see how this shakes out."

trust me gary doesnt want them to go to OSU more like michigan for how he would like it done.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

"

"Why would any parent be in such a hurry to send their kid to a coach who pulled that on the boy?"...Well, maybe they understand that it was an incredible opportunity (much like Ryan to tOSU). Maybe they understand that while their son is very important to Coach Sanderson, his family is probably a little more important, and he made the right decision for his family. Also, maybe David Taylor is happy to be able to wrestle for the coach he wanted to at a school that is closer to home and has a huge opportunity to push it's way to the top spot in the NCAAs. And any talk about Taylor losing a year is still premature. They may release him, he may have wanted to sit a year to put on some good weight. let's just wait and see how this shakes out."

I am a proud graduate of The University of Michigan, I couldn't care less if Taylor goes to OSU. I just don't get why anyone would be in a hurry to follow a guy that just left you, and what is the guarantee he doesn't do it
again.

Does anyone know if Sanderson broke a contract to leave Iowa State? Just want to see what kind of a man he really is.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

"

I am a proud graduate of The University of Michigan, I couldn't care less if Taylor goes to OSU. I just don't get why anyone would be in a hurry to follow a guy that just left you, and what is the guarantee he doesn't do it
again.

Does anyone know if Sanderson broke a contract to leave Iowa State? Just want to see what kind of a man he really is.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

"I just don't get why anyone would be in a hurry to follow a guy that just left you, and what is the guarantee he doesn't do it again. "

Even if you don't get it, you must see how clearly some athletes feel a strong tie to their coach and will leave one school to attend another to be with that coach. It happens in Basketball all the time, and the best wrestling example was Tom Brands and the Virginia Tech wrestlers.

"Does anyone know if Sanderson broke a contract to leave Iowa State? Just want to see what kind of a man he really is."

Let's say he had a couple more years on his Iowa State deal. What kind of man does that make him? Are you saying good men don't break contracts? I don't know Mr. Sanderson, maybe he is some sort of evil mastermind who is out to destroy David Taylor's life, but he has done nothing in the public realm (including seeking out this opportunity) that should make you question his character.

Many men in many fields switch jobs while under contract. Odds are, whoever takes the jobs that are open now at Illinois and Iowa State will be someone under contrct somewhere else. If they're not under contract, that means there not coaching. Why would you hire someone who's not currently coaching?

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on April 19, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

Thats not true a contract can be up at the end of this season, which would mean you are still coaching.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 19, 2009

Quote from Tony Bradberry's post:

"Thats not true a contract can be up at the end of this season, which would mean you are still coaching."

Do you think that the person Illinois and iowa State hire will be someone who is not currectly under contract somewhere else?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next