Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Cael Sanderson is the new head coach at Penn State
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

It's official: Cael Sanderson is the new head coach at Pennsylvania State University.

PSU Press Release: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/041709aaa.html

Reaction #1: Uh oh.

Reaction #2: It's going even more exciting seeing Tom Ryan's Buckeyes beating them.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Holy ****! Well it isn't April 1st anymore so this is all true, yeesh. I bet a lot of Iowa State fans are pretty ticked off. The question is, David Taylor...is he going to try to follow Cael to PSU as well?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

both Penn st & Michigan dual Ohio st in Columbus next season.

the already super conference Big Ten just took one more step towards dominance. Cael's hiring is saying in effect "The Big Ten is the place to be."

hasnt happened since Mich St in 1967, but the team title is coming east.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

It's about time!

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

What's this big $$$ package do to collegiate wrestling now? How many schools can possibly afford to pay their coaches this kind of cash?

To me, it would seem to be a dark omen for college wrestling - it's not a cash revenue producer and now it just got way more expensive to play with the big dogs.

Penn State went the way of Ky basketball, but at least in b-ball you can see a way to make $$$ back.

it's still a non-revenue sport (and truly is at almost every college but maybe a very very very few like Iowa). So i don't see an escalation-- maybe for the Tom Brands, Cael, John Smith's, but thats it.

with his camp money Tom Ryan makes a good living at Ohio st U, not like Cael but then again Cael is a special case. We will see in time if it pays off for Penn St ?

Wrestling being a non-revenue sport, Penn St might have to raise all the female coaches salaries now, Title IX u know !!! Could cost Penn st alot more than just what they are giving Cael.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

How will this affect the recruits that still haven't technically been enrolled at ISU? Will they need a release of sorts?

the L of I is a binding document, signed in November by seniors like David Taylor, u have to be released or sit out a year.

i doubt Iowa st releases anyone. Virginia Tech didn't.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

The Virginia Tech wrestlers had already received a year of free education which means something like $30,000 per student that the school did not receive. David Taylor and fellow incoming recruits have not yet received anything from Iowa State.

I am not implying that Iowa State will or will not release Taylor and the rest of the recruits but the fact that they have not received anything from the school is definitely a huge difference between this situation and the one at Virginia Tech.

I don't think Jamie Clark signed a letter of intent. I think his was just a verbal commitment because he is only a junior. When a coaching change happens, verbal commitments usually gets seriously re-evaluated.

yes there are differences Dan, thats true, between the Iowa st case and Virginia Tech case.

the problem, from the colleges point of view, is that if they release them and they all leave -- or maybe just a couple key ones leave --- the college is left with a Zero recruiting class for year 2009. A bust out, a wasted year.

i'm going to guess that Iowa St is pretty mad and doesnt want to greet their new head coach with a zero or lousy recruiting class.

however, u make a good point, since they've never enrolled yet, Iowa st might just take their medicine, release them and live with it.

as a junior Jamie Clark could sign nothing and his verbal is non-binding, he can go wherever he wants-- he can sign next November with whoever he wants..

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

My guess is that the opinion of the incoming coach at ISU will mean a great deal when deciding to release or not release those incoming frosh that have signed a LOI.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"as a junior Jamie Clark could sign nothing and his verbal is non-binding, he can go wherever he wants-- he can sign next November with whoever he wants.."

Ohio State!

The only reason I can see him doing that is if he went to ISU for the combination of liking the school/campus and because of Cael, but neither ISU or Cael are worth it alone, though.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Some interesting points in this article...among them the statement that Cael contacted PSU first!

http://www.centredaily.com/146/story/1235556.html

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

This means the ISU job is open, right? I'll send my resume' in the morning.

This is absolutely insane!!! What is the date for the PSU/tOSU dual?And the tSUN/tOSU dual???

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Such a stunning turn of events.

1) ISU shoved Bobby Douglas aside to make Cael head coach out of fear of losing him to Ohio State.

2) Ohio State hires Tom Ryan

3) The Buckeyes outperform Ohio State at the last two national tournies

4) Cael recruits Taylor and Clark right out from under the Buckeyes.

5) Cael now leaves for PSU

Three Questions:

1) Would you rather have Ryan or Cael?

2) What do Clark and Taylor do now? Taylor can choose to not enroll if he decides ISU is no longer a good fit. Clark is under no obligation. Is there any chance that either one reconsiders Ohio State?

3) Why did Cael make this move? It's not as if he was having difficulty attracting talent to PSU.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next