Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ken Chertow to pursue head coach position at Penn State
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Taylor would be in a better position than the Virginia Tech situation since he has never stepped foot on campus.

Kids don't go to the college for the college, they go there for the coach.

Clark would be fine since its only a verbal.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Dan,
i am told Cael to take Penn st job at 5 o'clock today. Opens things up --- kind of like when Russ stepped down started a domino effect.

Terry Brands to either Arizona st or Iowa st ?? Borrelli maybe to illinois. Some big jobs have opened up, doesnt happen like this often but now its happened twice in the last 3 or 4 years.

i think David Taylor sits out a year then joins Cael. Taylor can go to the OTC for a year and take college courses. If so, for the buckeyes this makes losing Taylor an even tougher pill to swallow.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"Taylor would be in a better position than the Virginia Tech situation since he has never stepped foot on campus.

Kids don't go to the college for the college, they go there for the coach.

Clark would be fine since its only a verbal."

I am sure in many cases you are correct, but that is a dumb, dumb approach. What, he is going to make a 7-figure income when he is 25 from wrestling?

I understand he is at an elite level, but coaches come and go all the time in many sports. To make your entire decision based on the coach is very short-sighted.

"but that is a dumb, dumb approach. What, he is going to make a 7-figure income when he is 25 from wrestling?
To make your entire decision based on the coach is very short-sighted."
--------------------------------------

to the elite athlete the coach is everything----- and since Taylor has paid his dues, done the work, & made the sacrifices, its his call and no one elses business to critique his life choices.

this is a wrestling forum, not the CNBC business channel. And he might end up making 7 figures anyway-- i'm sure his Dad does, he is a long-time airline pilot for Delta.
(*** correction, i meant 6 figures .)

Last edited by Bob Preusse on April 17, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""but that is a dumb, dumb approach. What, he is going to make a 7-figure income when he is 25 from wrestling?
To make your entire decision based on the coach is very short-sighted."
--------------------------------------

to the elite athlete the coach is everything----- and since Taylor has paid his dues, done the work, & made the sacrifices, its his call and no one elses business to critique his life choices.

this is a wrestling forum, not the CNBC business channel. And he might end up making 7 figures anyway-- I'm sure his Dad does, he is a long-time airline pilot for Delta.
"

I have no idea what airline pilots make, but would not think it is near that much.

Of course it is his business, but again for you to say he is screwed without knowing who the new coach will be is waaaaay premature. That is making the assumption that either Sanderson is the only coach who can coach elite wrestlers or the new coach will not want Taylor on his team, and I don't think either is true.

airline pilots make 6 figures, sorry i had my figures confused---- 7 figures is one million dollars, who makes one million dollars a year ? most doctors don't make even close to that, come on be realistic.

its David Taylors life to live. To him the coach may be that all important.

If Cael is accepting the position that will create the domino effect of college coaching. That leaves two positions open that are highly sought after and that will lead to the other positions opening.

I don't know if Taylor would have to sit out a year or if he could enroll at Penn State right away?

This is huge news. I know for a fact that to Taylor, Cael is that important to him.

"airline pilots make 6 figures, sorry I had my figures confused---- 7 figures is one million dollars, who makes one million dollars a year ? most doctors don't make even close to that, come on be realistic.

its David Taylors life to live. To him the coach may be that all important."

You are the one who initially claimed 7-figures and you tell me to be realistic. LOL I knew that was unrealistic, but was only responding to what YOU posted.

Sure he might be all that important, or he might not. For you to say he would be screwed was waaaaaaay premature and unfounded based on what either of us know.

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"If Cael is accepting the position that will create the domino effect of college coaching. That leaves two positions open that are highly sought after and that will lead to the other positions opening.

I don't know if Taylor would have to sit out a year or if he could enroll at Penn State right away?

This is huge news. I know for a fact that to Taylor, Cael is that important to him."

I wonder if when Taylor was discussing things with Sanderson before signing if he asked him if he was planning to stay there throughout Taylor's career. I will be having my second child play sports in college next year, and we asked that question to both of their coaches. No guarantee the coach cannot lie to the kids, but I just wonder if they asked.

To me, if the coach is breaking a contract to leave as many do than the kids should be allowed to leave too. What's good for the goose......... But if his contract expired and he is free to leave than to me it is a case of buyer beware. Certainly not just in this case but in any.

http://revwrestling.com/articles/4890/Sanderson-to-take-over-as-head-coach-at-Penn-State

It's official now. Cael to Penn State. Iowa State again loses its best wrestler. First Gable, now Sanderson.

look GS, u were the guy who initially brought up the 7 figures-- not me --- i quote u previously, these are your comments about David Taylor:

"What, he is going to make a 7-figure income when he is 25 from wrestling? "

obviously u made a statement u now regret and are trying to wiggle out of it.

i can guarantee u i know alot more about the situation than u do.

" look GS, u were the guy who initially brought up the 7 figures-- not me --- I quote u previously, these are your comments about David Taylor:

"What, he is going to make a 7-figure income when he is 25 from wrestling? "

obviously u made a statement u now regret and are trying to wiggle out of it.
"

I am NOT the one who said this:

"And he might end up making 7 figures anyway-- I'm sure his Dad does , he is a long-time airline pilot for Delta"

Now who should be squirming/backpeddling/wiggling/feeling silly?

And you probably do know more. All I know is he signed an agreement to wrestle at Iowa State, NOT for Cael Sanderson. I doubt if Sanderson's name appears anywhere in the LOI. My son's coach did not appear anywhere in his.

Again, if Sanderson broke his contract than the kids should be able to too, but if not then Taylor signed knowing the possibilities. If the Indians fire Wedge, all of the players don't get to become free agents.

a very small error that i myself corrected, not significant to the subject. ----give it a rest already. U r like a child.

i can guarantee u i know alot more about the subject than u do.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on April 17, 2009; edited 1 time in total

"a very small error that I myself corrected, not significant."

Yea, only a potential 9 million dollar difference. Glad to see you think that is insignificant.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Money talks, nostalgia walks

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next