Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ken Chertow to pursue head coach position at Penn State
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

Mr. Preusse...I totally agree with Penn State's tradition being a factor, but when they look at their tradition, if they're honest, it's a tradition of underachieving. Again, I have no problem with them going through the process and hiring a Penn State guy. I'd just like to see them invite and interview some other coaches. I don't think being a Penn State grad should be the end-all-be-all. Look where that's gotten them.

Bottom line, I hope whoever they sign is able to change that program and make them the powerhouse they should be. I think college wrestling would be a better sport if Iowa, Iowa St, Oklahoma St, Ohio State, Minnesota, Penn State, Cornell and a few others take turns winning National titles. A little parity goes a long way.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 15, 2009

Mike: While I agree with you that more powerhouse programs is a good thing, I'd prefer to see the Buckeyes win it year after year. Your egalitarian attitude would better apply to second place.

I also think that PSU has been a more consistent winner over the years than Ohio State. If they've underachieved, it's only due to the perception that the great prep wrestling in PA should make them a viable title contender on a yearly basis. Perhaps that's so. Certainly, we feel that way in Ohio. But as we're seeing in Columbus right now, even the presence of a powerhouse program doesn't lead all the talent to the center of the state. I don't think Sunderland was a top tier coach. But Lorenzo and Fritz were both quality coaches and the program was still not able to overtake Iowa. Will a better coach prove capable of doing it? We'll see.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 15, 2009

I have a gut feeling that Chertow would be excellent for no other reason than his ability to market and recruit kids. Some people would argue that he has not been a head coach or on the scene in awhile which are valid points. However, I suspect that years away from the collegiate ranks have allowed him to grow as a person and may make for a better coach now than he would have in his 20s-30s.

IMO, he would rival Brands with antics and be as or moreso animated than Barry Davis while keeping a collective head.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on April 15, 2009

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I have a gut feeling that Chertow would be excellent for no other reason than his ability to market and recruit kids. Some people would argue that he has not been a head coach or on the scene in awhile which are valid points. However, I suspect that years away from the collegiate ranks have allowed him to grow as a person and may make for a better coach now than he would have in his 20s-30s.

IMO, he would rival Brands with antics and be as or moreso animated than Barry Davis while keeping a collective head."

Rex,

A good point about Ken Chertow. That was part of the intention with my original post. Obviously, with a school like Penn State, there is a whole slew of highly-accomplished competitors who are now coaches who would want the job and would do just fine at it.

The question is what separates all these people? Bob P. has pointed out that being a PSU alum will be key - perhaps that will priove to be true and could serve to distance those PSU alumni from everyone else.

When you look at Chertow relative to Hughes or Tim Flynn, he is an interesting candidate. He is very different than them. What he has done with his camps, is certainly impressive. His network is incredible. His marketing might give him an edge - at least early on - for recruiting top kids ahead of a Flynn or Hughes, etc.

His camps have grown way beyond what anyone would have thought they could have. It's not as though he is the most accomplished wrestler running camps out there. He was never an NCAA champ (was olympian though - at 114.5) - And look how many NCAA champs (inclduing multiple champs) run camps - tons - and none compare in scope with his - really. I'm not sure anyone ever attacked the camp system as aggressively as he did and with as much passion.

To me, the question would be if he could transalte that camp success and his vast network directly into attracting the top wrestlers to PSU and developing them.....that could make him more successful than a Tim Flynn or John Hughes. At least in the shorter run.

He certainly has weaknesses, like not coaching at the college level currently, but strengths in network and marketing might compensate for that.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 15, 2009

yep, no parity now, last team east of the Mississippi to win it was Michigan State 1967. (the Mississippi river runs right thru the middle of Minnesota.)

when i told AWN editor Ron Good several years ago that a team title was coming east ---and that no one would outrecruit Ohio st anymore--- he looked at me like i was insane. Prior to Minnesota winning his feeling was only 2 states Okla and Iowa could produce a team title . i told him i thought, Ohio st, Penn st, Lehigh, Cornell and Michigan were capable.

i'm NOT evaluating any candidate, but i think it will be a BIG advantage to geting the Penn St head job if u have had Head college coaching experience. i know it was with Ohio st when Ryan got the job. Anymore there are alot of tricky but important administrative things a head coach has to deal with, APR, etc .

And colleges want proven ability to control college age guys , to get respect from college age guys --- its a real challenge anymore, its probably WHY certain men are not head coach anymore or are on verge of being fired.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 15, 2009

Joe-

great post.

Bob-

I think you are right concerning past coaching history influencing future employment.

I remember PSU wrestling Nebraska in the National Duals in '93. Kerry McCoy was wrestling Oganisian and was thrown to his back in ot. If he was pinned the match was going to be won by Nebraska. Madman Chertow literally jumps in front of the referee and starts yelling that it is 2td and the match is over. Of course, the match is not over if someone is on their back. Anyway, it was crazy and the match was stopped. He may have lost a team point but he saved them the fall. So 3+1 or 6. You do the math.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 15, 2009

Rex,
u r right, its not over as Tommy Rowlands proved vs Oklahoma in National Duals in 2003. Tommy took their 285 down in OT then referee Chuck Yagla correctly allowed the action to continue and tommy pinned him which were the 6 points Ohio St needed to advance to the finals. An electric moment in st John arena.

controlling college age guys , geting their respect & attention-- and the many admin duties anymore--- mean colleges with the stature of an Ohio st U or a Penn st U look first to a former successful college Head coach.

Tim Flynn or Kerry McCoy gets the Penn St job (although if my old friend Tom Borrelli has applied, all bets off. ----but i have a feeling about Borrelli and U of illinois).

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 16, 2009

Another big job just opened up.

Arizona State cans Ortiz. They could be the giant of the West, as only Boise State can challenge them in terms of recruiting out there.

I think if they get the right guy they could land some CA studs and others who want the land of the fun and sun. I had some buddy's that graduated from there and they love it out there.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 16, 2009

"some CA studs and others who want the land of the fun and sun. I had some buddy's that graduated from there and they love it out there."

Dan, thats the problem , have to recruit the right type of kid, many don't last.

but yes, potential is huge. AZ st won NCAAs in 1988 and were runnerup the next 2 years under the great Bobby Douglas.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 16, 2009

now i'm told Cael interviewed, that would blow my mind.

why would he leave his alma mater ?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 16, 2009

Cael interviewed? With ASU or PSU? Very hard to believe he'd leave. Of course, if he does, perhaps David Taylor and Jamie Clark might have to re-think where they're going to go (this is an Ohio forum so I have to make this comment).

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Cael interviewed for which job? I would have to think that it is PSU because the ASU job just opened two days ago (really one since I am typing this at 8:10 am Eastern time on the second day.)

ANY top coach to ASU would make since though with Sunkist being out there and the recruiting advantage of a place where it is 85 degrees for 85% of the year (an exaggeration but not far off.) The potential to bring in the top kids is second to none in my opinion. PSU and Ohio State have a geographic advantage with the high school talent in those states and with the ORTC at The U, they may be evened up in the future freestyle realm, but Sunkist and the actual sun will attract a lot of kids if they land the right coach.

It may be just me, but Terry Brands would be my pick (unless Cael Sanderson really did want the job) at ASU. With him at the helm, it could be lights out for the rest of the PAC-10. He wouldn't compete against his brother on a regular basis until the national championships, he has a great freestyle background that would help keep the best of the best working with Sunkist. I don't know, short of Cael wanting the job, I think the logical choice is Terry Brands.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Cael has interviewed twice now at Penn State.

The resources that Penn State has to offer is perhaps best in the nation. He would be ride in the beltway of the best high school wrestling in the nation and would have his choice of some of the best wrestlers too.

I could only imagine what his first recruiting class would look like Alton, Alton, Peppleman, Clark. Unreal Penn State if they land Sanderson will be the sleeping giant that is woken.

I think we could see a true shift in the center of wrestling from IA-OK to OH-PA.

Here is the link from the Des Moines Register:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090416/SPORTS/90416055/1003

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

"PSU? Very hard to believe he'd leave. Of course, if he does, perhaps David Taylor and Jamie Clark might have to re-think where they're going to go"

Hank,
yes Penn St, blows my mind !! if Cael leaves David Taylor is screwed . Iowa st will never release any recruits that have signed, the situation will make the "Virginia Tech thing" look like a day at the beach.

Scott,
Terry Brands will never be hired by Penn St, imo-- fans need to understand the deep & somewhat bitter rivalry that developed between the 2 schools when coach Lorenzo was at Penn St.

u r right, if Cael goes to Penn St, Terry maybe to AZ st--- and Cael well might go as i understand he visited Penn st with his wife --- if Cael goes, Terry Brands to Iowa St perhaps or Arizona St ??

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""PSU? Very hard to believe he'd leave. Of course, if he does, perhaps David Taylor and Jamie Clark might have to re-think where they're going to go"

Hank,
yes Penn St, blows my mind !! if Cael leaves David Taylor is screwed . Iowa st will never release any recruits that have signed, the situation will make the "Virginia Tech thing" look like a day at the beach.

Scott,
Terry Brands will never be hired by Penn St, imo-- need to understand the deep & somewhat bitter rivalry that developed between the 2 schools when coach Lorenzo was at Penn St.

if Cael goes to Penn St--- and he well might as I understand he visited Penn st with his wife --- if Cael goes, Terry Brands to Iowa St perhaps ?? or Arizona St ??
"

Until you know who the next coach would be how can you say Taylor would be screwed?

And let's hope he at least in part picked Iowa State for the school and not just the coach. That is "Picking a College 101". If he didn't, shame on him and his family.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next