Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Great Cradlers
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 3, 2009

J. Jaggers' run to his second title came via a number of defastating cradles. J was always a threat to hit a cradle from any number of positions against top competition. Jaggers was always great with cradles but I have to believe that having Joe Heskett on staff took it to another level. Another Buckeye great who was a great cradler is Keaton Anderson. Anderson his his far side cradle usually with the near side leg in. Who were other great cradlers?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

Well, if anyone has videos of these guys back in their high school days that would be great since there are some of us that only have seen a video or two of them from college.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

I have Heskett's first title one tape. He looks so young, a little scrawny. scoreless first period, then Jeff Bucher (Rogers) chooses down. It's over 47 seconds later.

Scott...I just gave that DVD to your brother to watch while he's recovering. Feel free borrow it.

Shawn Nelson (North Royalton class of '89) also had a great cradle series, but he was so good at everything that I think his top work sometimes got overlooked. This one's pretty obscure, but I had a kid on my team in high school named Dan Lichty. He was tall and skinny and had very little athletic ability. But he made it to the State Tourney his senior year at 160 on nothing but a far-side cradle. He'd be getting majored going into the third, choose top and win by fall.

There was a kid from Claymont (who are always good cradlers as a team) that was particularly strong on top. Tyler Reichman (6th, 4th, 4th, 3rd) graduated in '04.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

My son attended one of Heskett's cradle camps a few years back, and we bought his DVD's. I highly recommend them. One of the coolest parts is the intro, that shows Joe hitting cradle after cradle from every imaginable position and angle. Every cradle I saw JJ hit this season, had Hesskett's stamp on it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

Wade Schalles was the King of cradles but all the guys mentioned were tremendous. St Eds had a wrestler named Jason Hackett around 1989 who was exceptional with cradles.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

Ahh, Jason Hackett. There's a name I haven't heard in a while. 135-pounder for St. Edward back in '89. Undefeated going into State and then was beaten by Martinez (Lake) and took a strong third over Jimmy Andrassy. He did have an excellent cradle.

Chris Honeycutt, 189 from St. Edward a couple of years ago, also has a nice one.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

Jameson is a great cradler but it isn't talked about b/c he does so many other things. It will be interesting to see if this aspect of his wrestling further developes under Heskett.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 5, 2009

Here is one looking into the future/present- Brent Fickel. His cradle is devastating.

► Add to the Discussion