Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio Collegiate Coach of Year
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 2, 2009

Who would you pick? Keep in mind the situations within which each coach works.

Tom Ryan--2nd in D1 nationals, 2nd in Big Ten, 5th at National Duals

Jim Andrassy--MAC Champs, 3rd at Southern Scuffle, 18th in nation plus first two AA's in over 20 years.

Frank Romano--Notre Dame College--5th at NAIA nationals in only third year of existence. Five AA's.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 2, 2009

I would vote for Andrassy this year. And I do not think TOSU was second at B10s. 5th?

Brandon Brissette added to this discussion on April 2, 2009

Jason Miller, Heidelberg University.

Why:
1. Most NCAA qualifiers in school history 6
2. Regular Season OAC championship 6-0 (3rd in 4 years)
3. OAC Tournament Champions 4th in a row and first team ever in Heidelberg history any sport to win four in a row.
4. 7th at National Duals (Knocked off Wis-Lacrosse the team that took 3rd at the NCAA national tournament to do that )
5. Beat Ashland for the first time in history at Ashland during their Senior and Alumni night when they were ranked 15th in D2 at the time.

All this during a year that was picked to be a rebuilding one with only 4 starters returning from the previous year.

I am biased I know. But I thought he could be in consideration.

Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on April 3, 2009

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I would vote for Andrassy this year. And I do not think TOSU was second at B10s. 5th?"

I think he meant 2nd in Big 10 duals schedule... not Big 10 tourney

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on April 3, 2009

Doug Jesse - the NEW Head Coach of the NEW Tiffin University Dragons wrestling program. Comes back home to Ohio to build from scratch, SSWWEEEEETTT!!!

No seriously...this year...

#1 - Jim Andrassy - doing and will continue to do a great job at Kent
#2 - Jim Miller - quietly going about building a top notch DIII program at Heidelberg
#3 - Tom Ryan - Big Ten tourney softened the season a little, but MAN did they rebound at the Nationals
#4 - Frank Romano - building nicely and ready to make the jump to NCAA DII

Realistically you could make an argument for all four. Why doesn't the Ohio High School Wrestling Coaches Association sponsor this award and poll it's members each April for a winner?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

Brandon: We're all biased. You make a great case for a great coach.

This website pays more attention to college than any other in Ohio. We should pick award winners and recognize them.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 8, 2009

I think you almost have to go with Andrassy. Ohio State has multiple 4xers on its roster. It SHOULD be a top tier program competing for a national title. Ryan did an outstanding job this year. However, Kent St has typically had to take what OSU didn't want. So, Andrassy has to do more with "less" (this is not meant to be a knock on the talent he has in his room). Consider the fact that Jameson served as a wrestling partner for someone on the starting squad, Palmer (Collin) will most likely play the same role next year. Ohio State has the luxury of having a 4x Ohio champ sitting on its bench making the starters better. Kent St. doesn't have that ability. So, I feel Jim has brought his team farther than Tom and even pushed the Buckeyes in the dual meet. Again, all are worthy of recognition.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 9, 2009

Mike: I agree with you. However, it should be noted that it is one thing to get the talent, quite another to keep it in the room and do something with it. See PSU and to some degree pre-Ryan TOSU.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on April 9, 2009

If Kent State made top 10 then yeah maybe give it to Andrassy, but come on when was the last time there was actually a team race at nationals. We only lost by 4.5 points to a team who was suppose to run away with the team title. The award is Ryans, the question is who is 2nd.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 9, 2009

Quote from Marlo Stanfield's post:

"If Kent State made top 10 then yeah maybe give it to Andrassy, but come on when was the last time there was actually a team race at nationals. We only lost by 4.5 points to a team who was suppose to run away with the team title. The award is Ryans, the question is who is 2nd."

One could also counter that argument that the reason it was a race at all was because Iowa underperformed. I don't think we dismiss the others as fighting for 2nd simply because Ohio State finished runner up at nationals. Was there anyone who did more w/ less than Tom Ryan? I felt Andrassy got every bit out of those kids that could be gotten at this point.
Bottom line, not matter which one was named Ohio coach of the year, we would have gotten it right. Both (if not all) are quite deserving.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 9, 2009

I appreciate the argument that Iowa underperfomred but I feel, at least this year, that was counter-balanced by some of the late gift bonus points they received due to injury defaults when TOSU was ahead. Not likely those matches would have ended in pins, let alone bonus points of any type.

Also, while Ryan needs a year or two to really see what his impact will legitimately be, he has done well to get the team ready for Nationals. Brands will need a year or two of just his recruits, not the combination of the VT boys and what he was left with, to see what he can do as a coach.

Maybe we'll find out he might not be able to get the most out of his team at the right time. By many accounts they should have run away from the field this year given the rankngs of his individuals going into Nationals. I expected it.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 9, 2009

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I appreciate the argument that Iowa underperfomred but I feel, at least this year, that was counter-balanced by some of the late gift bonus points they received due to injury defaults when TOSU was ahead. Not likely those matches would have ended in pins, let alone bonus points of any type.

Also, while Ryan needs a year or two to really see what his impact will legitimately be, he has done well to get the team ready for Nationals. Brands will need a year or two of just his recruits, not the combination of the VT boys and what he was left with, to see what he can do as a coach.

Maybe we'll find out he might not be able to get the most out of his team at the right time. By many accounts they should have run away from the field this year given the rankngs of his individuals going into Nationals. I expected it."

I agree. It makes me sick knowing that the wrestling gods smiled down upon the Hawkeyes yet again. Sure, the Iowa kids had to wrestle to get themselves into the AA position, but the amount of medical forfeits they received was amazing. 3, I believe. I can't believe the good fortune that program has.
I too am curious to see what Brands does in 2 years. Are the kids at Iowa getting burned out at NCAA time from the high octane intensity that he demands? Daniel Dennis didn't look like the same wrestler who won the Midlands. He looked worn down. Perhaps it is simply the nature of the season. Nevertheless, a coach has to account for that. Time will tell if he is any better than Jim Zalesky (who also had immediate success and then was run out of town for letting the program drop).

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 9, 2009

nice to see a handful of Ohio programs prospering, finally !!

Coach of the Year, tough call, esp with Kent geting their first AA (got 2) since Don Horning in mid 1980s.

but Tom Ryan got their second 2nd place finish in a row, and before this Ohio st had NEVER taken 2nd. Two 2nds in a row very very impressive, edge to Ryan imo.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 9, 2009

Spare the homering, let's be real about things. The only reason we had a team race was Iowa having a horrible NCAA tournament.

THREE - count them three - top five seeds failed to AA!
Falck (125), Tsirtsis (141), and Borschell (174).
Tsirtsis also failed to make that go to AA round.

I do not care that Iowa had two big medical forfeit victories late in tournament. If Iowa wrestled to seed, they win a landslide.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on April 10, 2009

If I was 7ft I would be playing in the NBA. If Spons, Triggas, Johns...would of AA we would of won. Come on no homerisms, a lot of top seeds failed to AA. I don't care if another team came in second, the point is that there was finally a team race and it so happened that tOSU made it interesting this year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next