Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Spladle: Good or Bad?
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Is the spladle a good move or a bad move?

We saw David Habat score four points with a spladle to win his state championship match this season.

We saw Ryan Gambill pin Jordan Thome with a spladle to win his third state title last season.

We saw Darrion Caldwell pin Brent Metcalf in their match at St. Edward with a spladle.

We saw Nick Gallick defeat J Jaggers with a spladle at the NWCA All-Star match.

We saw Mike Linsker spladle Mike Hurley to win a state title when down by a considerable margin.

We saw Ed Ruth, fresh off of beating Chris Phillips and winning the Ironman, get spladled in the first round of the Beast of the East.

Yet the spladle is a very difficult move to execute and not incredibly difficult to counter.

So, in your opinion, is it a good move or a bad move?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"Is the spladle a good move or a bad move?

We saw David Habat score four points with a spladle to win his state championship match this season.

We saw Ryan Gambill pin Jordan Thome with a spladle to win his third state title last season.

We saw Darrion Caldwell pin Brent Metcalf in their match at St. Edward with a spladle.

We saw Nick Gallick defeat J Jaggers with a spladle at the NWCA All-Star match.

We saw Mike Linsker spladle Mike Hurley to win a state title when down by a considerable margin.

We saw Ed Ruth, fresh off of beating Chris Phillips and winning the Ironman, get spladled in the first round of the Beast of the East.

Yet the spladle is a very difficult move to execute and not incredibly difficult to counter .

So, in your opinion, is it a good move or a bad move?"

Can't be that easy since all of those great wrestlers didn't in the matches you mentioned. <smile>

My son likes it, his coach doesn't seem all that fond of when he uses it, so the room seems divided.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

In my opinion, the move works if your opponent shoots a head inside single, picks your leg up in the air and he is either bent over to much or does not keep his head up properly.

From hear you can get 2,4,5,6 (if the guy screams/splitting those legs wide) or a pin once you have your points you can let the head pop through and his shoulders should be down.

With that said, I don’t think it should be the first line of defense/offence, to much depends on your opponent being in bad or not good position and if you miss it, you will give up two. Singles and doubles, bars, tilts and half’s seem to be much higher percentage moves. I’ve seen more top notch wrestlers win when it counted with the basic moves.

On the other hand there is a time and place for just about anything. Know the situation, scout the opponent and drill every move you can think of. You never know when the opportunity will present itself.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

I think If set up right you can catch alot of really good wrestlers in it because most guys don't ever think about getting hit with it. I got hit with one at ationals the guy set it up like he was going for a merkle from the top position and when I spread out to defend the merkle he reached over and I was stuck in that position the rest of the period.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

As Tony mentioned, it's a move that works well for certain kids in certain situations.

Nick Simmons used to run a spiral to a spladle from top. Caldwell used the move to pin Metcalf.

Good move for certain wrestlers. Like all technique, it's a matter of time and place.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Any move--whether it be a spladle, head and arm, etc.--is a good move if you can set it up right and if it works for you.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Any move--whether it be a spladle, head and arm, etc.--is a good move if you can set it up right and if it works for you."

My feeling exactly.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

I would add to that that any move is a good move as long as you don't rely on it. That meaning, if you enter a match hoping to splade somebody, it's a bad thing. If you see the opening- go.

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Its good to know so it doesn't happen to you, I never knew the move until i got it hit on me....that sucked

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

You cetrainly do not want it as the only bullet in the barrell, no???

I agree that it is nice to have, but dependence is rough.

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

I agree with Viviani. If you are not aware of the move it really can hurt you. From a defensive perspective the only person that doesn't need to worry about it is Robles, otherwise you need to know that when you are in on a single and you start feeling the man reach over and pinch your head that you should just let go of that leg and bail out. "Learn to wrestle another period" is my motto.

From an offensive perspective it's something great to have in your arsinal, but it's not a go to move. Trully this move works the best right off the bat when someone is over aggressive or really late in the match when they very tired and sloppy. It's the move that you need all the right reactions to hit and have to be sure of yourself before hitting it because the right conditions can dissapear in an instance. You shouldn't really let anyone in on a single that deep just to hope that the right situation occurs, but if the guy gets past your hands, head, and hips defense and it looks right I say "Go for it!"

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on April 1, 2009

I think the move is junk but relatively effective when hit properly as with most moves. In this case, I think it is easy to counter if a wrestler is aware of the position that he is in. All you have to do is pop your head to the outside and you are safe. I have always been taught that good technique wins and I classify this move as junk.

Ryan Peters added to this discussion on April 1, 2009

Anthony,

I used to think that the same way you think about the spladle...I thought it was total garbage until I coached a kid that make a living of hitting the spladle (Michael Linsker). I used to tell him all the time; "a spladle is not going to win you a state title....stop hitting it." Michael was out to prove me wrong. In fact becaue of Michael a lot of my wrestlers got great at the spladle. I was nearly losing my mind. However, everyone that was using it was winning. There came a point that i started teaching it and we drilled it on a regular basis.

Now to refute your point that you made, Michael loved it when a guy pushed his head to the outside he would go right into a switch, put a leg in and then go right into a spladle off the switch (if you can visualize that). It was truly amazing and a work of art to watch as coach and as a fan.

The other counter to a spladle is to just let go of the leg. That is really the only counter that was able to stop Linsker's spladle.

By the way...all Linsker wanted to do was prove his coach wrong that he could win a state title with a spladle and he did. He still bring up my comment to him anytime he sees it hit.

Therefore, I love the spladle!!!

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on April 1, 2009

Ryan,

I agree with you on some of your points. The biggest problem I have with the spladle is not that I think it is junk, but the fact that it is not an offensive move. Here is my problem... it really doesn't work on the college level. Maybe here or there, but in D1, D2, D3, NAIA, or juco if a guy gets in on a leg it is very hard to fight off let alone hit a spladel. A

And with popping your head to the outside, I can visualize the switch you are talking about. I would pop my head out to the outside and then run a double.

Ryan Peters added to this discussion on April 2, 2009

Anthony,

As I mentioned above, I use to think the spladle was junk until my HS team started using it with lots of success. When we started woking on the spladle in the room; we developed it into an offensive move. I am one of those coaches that considers a snap down go behind an offensive move if done correctly. My coaching philosophy was very much offensive minded; threfore everything I would teach; I would teach it offensively. With that being said; we taugh the spladle as an offensive move (if you can belive it).

As far as it working in college, I do agree with you to some extent. Singles, doubles and high C's is what usually works in college. However, Simmons is a great example of a tremendous spladle guy (from the top position). Shalles was great with it...but not many. There are a lot of guys out there that hate the headlock and says that it would never work in college. That is total nonsense - Metcalf (according to Iowa - he is the next coming) got rocked by a left handed headlok in th NCAA finals. My point is simple...regardless if you ar a D1 or D3 college wrestler any move can work at anytime if you belive in it and you hit it hard.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next