Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye 2009/2010 Lineup
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Some good discussion on themat.com about the topic. There are a number of scenarios that could unfold, particularly in light of the recent article stating both Palmers will redshirt next year.

Scenario #1-Best Lineup
125-Triggas, Harrington
133-Hump, Paddock
141-Palmer, Paddock
149-Palmer, Jameson
157-Nemec, Kusar
165-Sponseller, Ambrose
174-Rella, Heflin
184-Pucillo, Magrum
197-Magrum, Cook
285-Morrison, Gardner

Scenario #2-Palmers redshirt
125-Triggas
133-Paddock
141-Hump
149-Jameson/Kusar
157-Nemec
165-Sponseller
174-Rella
184-Pucillo
197-Magrum
285-Morrison

A third scenario where Coach Ryan decides to redshirt both Palmers, Triggas and Sponseller is highly unlikely but not impossible.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Some good discussion on themat.com about the topic. There are a number of scenarios that could unfold, particularly in light of the recent article stating both Palmers will redshirt next year.

Scenario #1-Best Lineup
125-Triggas, Harrington
133-Hump, Paddock
141-Palmer, Paddock
149-Palmer, Jameson
157-Nemec, Kusar
165-Sponseller, Ambrose
174-Rella, Heflin
184-Pucillo, Magrum
197-Magrum, Cook
285-Morrison, Gardner

Scenario #2-Palmers redshirt
125-Triggas
133-Paddock
141-Hump
149-Jameson/Kusar
157-Nemec
165-Sponseller
174-Rella
184-Pucillo
197-Magrum
285-Morrison

A third scenario where Coach Ryan decides to redshirt both Palmers, Triggas and Sponseller is highly unlikely but not impossible."

How does an athlete get to choose that he will redshirt just to get to wrestle a year with his brother? Admirable, I suppose, but shouldn't that be the coach's call, not the athletes?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

Gary: I don't think they just choose. I'm sure more goes into it. Clearly C.P. could use a year by his own comments in the PD. LP has paid his dues and should have a say. I cannot believe he has the final say. As has been posted by others before, it seems as if Ryan will put the best line-up on the mat.

I don't see a big difference between #1 and #2 except LP. Does anyone really know if Hump's cut is too much? If not, then he probably should stay at 133. If it is, he has a great shot next year at 141.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

125: Harrington/Touris--Triggas RS
133: Paddock/Henry
141: Humphry--CPalmer RS
149: Jameson/Kusar--LPalmer RS
157: Jameson/Kusar
165: Nemec/Kusar
171: Rella--Spons RS
184: Pucillo
197: Weakley/Cook/Magrum/Walsh
285: Gardner/CoMo/Hiles/Walsh

Even though this will be a young team I think it will help in the long run if you RS Triggas, tPalmers & Spons (I think they need them).

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

He stated in a flo interview during NCAA's that he would wrestle 141 next year and seemed pretty relieved at the thought....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

125: Triggas/Harrington/Touris/Vaughn
133: Paddock/Henry
141: Hump/C.Palmer
149: L.Palmer/Kusar/Jameson
157: Nemec/Kusar
165: Sponseller/Ambrose/Campbell
174: Rella/Heflin/Sanders
184: Pucillo/Magrum
197: Cook/Magrum/Massachussett
285: Morrison/Gardner/Hiles

Triggas might benefit from a redshirt than a move up to 133 if he is really struggling to make 125. This way the Bucks can rotate Stieber in to 125 in 2010, Triggas to 133 for two years and Paddock to 141. None of which takes into account where C. Palmer and Jameson fit in.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

Harrington is not making 125 again. He was at 133 for tournaments after the wrestle off. I would expect to see Touris at the starter if Triggas is redshirting.

John Joyce added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

So is it a forgone conclusion that Weakley is out of the picture? If not, he has to be the favorite for 197 next year if Gardner goes up right??

Anyone know with any amount of certainty if Weakley is still a part of the team?

Also, from what I understand, Humphrey never sees 133 again based on past interviews and what others have said...

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 28, 2009

I have big doubts about Logan Stieber making 125. That is two years away and he is still bound to grow some. I see him as a 133 more likely just looking at his build and factoring in him growing some more.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 28, 2009

John, from talking to some OSU people my understanding is Weakley is gone, Gardner to 285. and Magrum goes 197, with Mike back at 184..

Robert Seibert added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

I do not claim to know about the situation, but here it goes...

If OSU thinks they can win a national title with their best line-up, why redshirt? Pucillo is most likely a Nat'l Champ, and he'll be gone after next season. Will you be able to recoup points like that at 184? However, if that's not the case, then redshirting might not be terrible. I think that health and weight are also big issues when deciding to redshirt as well.

It's going to be tough to fit all of these studs into the line-up in the near future, but that's always a good thing!

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

I just can't see redshirting Lance. There must be some forethought that goes in to these decisions and I would think that if a redshirt were going to take place it would have been done this past season so that Johnstone could have dropped to his natural weight were he would have been far more competitive and Nemec would not have wasted a year. I think had this taken place Nemec would have ended up getting us more points at Big Tens and Nationals than Jason did and Jason would have scored better in both tournys than he did at 157.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

of course Ryan ultimately decides who redshirts and who doesnt, its Not the wrestler-- alot of variables here:

....Ryan doesnt want to diminish his team after 2 straight NCAA 2nds.
...Maybe Rella will drop to 165 if Heflin looks good?? That would open door to Sponseller redshirting. i havent seen this option mentioned, but its real .
.... Humphrey is going to move up to 141, so it makes sense Paddock will start at 133. Ryan really likes him. Triggas stays at 125 for sure.
.... Can Magrum go 197 ? i think he can & WILL.
....Can Jameson or Kusar do the job at 149?? If not then i doubt LanceP redshirts. Ryan wont gut his team.
....yes Weakley has left and Cody Gardner will be 285

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

Can Rella even make 165 again? I thought one of the reasons he wasn't performing too well was that he had trouble making weight for 165. As for Paddock, I hope everything with his shoulder heals 100%

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

I think it would be more likely that Rella stays at 174 and Heflin went 165 if indeed they wanted to use a redshirt for Sponseller. But I agree, Ryan won't gut the team just to let the Palmers wrestle together, nor should he. We have Pucillo and Hump,at 141, back competing for indivdual championships next year, Sponseller, if he impoves a bit in the bottom position will as well. I have to think that Lance is top four again with a chance at an individual chapionship. Support at a few other weight classes will allow us to, again, compete for the national title.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next