Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Palmers to Redshirt?
Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

In naming Collin as wrestler of the year, the Plain Dealer reported that they are likely to redshirt next year so they can wrestle together the year after.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

WHY?

Doesn't it make sense for at least one of them to start at 149?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Pat's always reliable so take it to the bank...

How would the Bucks redshirt Lance and Colin? Who would go 149? Kusar? Jameson? Is Jameson even part of the future? I've heard nothing about how he's recovering from surgery.

In the past, I've thought that they had no real chance to win a national title and should consider redshirting Sponseller, L. Palmer and Triggas. But after this year, I don't know. Here's what's clear. Pucillo, Hump, Spoon and Lance all return. That's a lot of potential scoring at nationals. Then there's Rella, Nemec, Triggas and Morrison. There's your potential help. Paddock and either Magrum or Cook probably fill out the lineup. Don't expect anything there. Can that team win nationals? Or should the Bucks redshirt Lance, Spoon, Triggas, C.Palmer and Paddock, throw out their backups, take a terrible beating, ride whatever they can get out of Hump and Pucillo, and build for a stronger future? I don't see them redshirting all the guys I mentioned but who knows?

John Flanigan added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Next year, I think that Iowa has a great chance of threepeating. I picked this lineup off another site, and it looks pretty strong.

125 Nate Moore or Matt McDonough
133 Daniel Dennis
141 Joe Slaton
149 Brent Metcalf
157 Aaron Janssen/Dan LeClere/Matt Ballweg
165 Ryan Morningstar
174 Jay Borschel
184 Phil Keddy
197 Chad Beatty
285 Dan Erekson

On paper, they have at least 7 strong scorers at nationals and will be tough to beat. ISU also is returning a strong squad and Minny will be loaded as well.

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

I'll tell you one thing that we're not keeping into consideration: Tom Ryan doesn't hold back . He's always said that he will throw out the best team possible. I don't see Tom just rolling over after coming so close this year. With next year being Pucillo's last year, I say he throws everything he can at it to make another run.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

I’ve said it on this forum before, there are a lot of things that can stop someone from wrestling for four straight years, injury, grades, illness, family issues, trouble with the law, can’t beat the new guy or a guy who went up or down in weight. If you are good enough to start on a D1 program I think you should wrestle and not red shirt. The future is never guaranteed. There was a saying about a bird in hand being worth more than something. The only exception is if you are so elite that the Olympics come into play.

My thoughts are to save the red shirt year until you need them. You may wreck your knee in an open early in the year.

Mark

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Pat's always reliable so take it to the bank...

How would the Bucks redshirt Lance and Colin? Who would go 149? Kusar? Jameson? Is Jameson even part of the future? I've heard nothing about how he's recovering from surgery.

In the past, I've thought that they had no real chance to win a national title and should consider redshirting Sponseller, L. Palmer and Triggas. But after this year, I don't know. Here's what's clear. Pucillo, Hump, Spoon and Lance all return. That's a lot of potential scoring at nationals. Then there's Rella, Nemec, Triggas and Morrison. There's your potential help. Paddock and either Magrum or Cook probably fill out the lineup. Don't expect anything there. Can that team win nationals? Or should the Bucks redshirt Lance, Spoon, Triggas, C.Palmer and Paddock, throw out their backups, take a terrible beating, ride whatever they can get out of Hump and Pucillo, and build for a stronger future? I don't see them redshirting all the guys I mentioned but who knows?"

Isn't this essentially what Smith at OkSt did this year - RS everyone with the future in mind? And reading some of the forums, everyone is out for his head bec. of one poor year. I can't see Ryan taking this path, as he is trying to build OSU's image/program, and a poor year would be counter-productive to this perceived plan.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Quote from DJ Vondruska's post:

"I'll tell you one thing that we're not keeping into consideration: Tom Ryan doesn't hold back . He's always said that he will throw out the best team possible. I don't see Tom just rolling over after coming so close this year. With next year being Pucillo's last year, I say he throws everything he can at it to make another run."

I agree. I think the goal is to load up every year and go for it. Not that redshirting certain individuals isn't sometimes the right thing. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last two years. You also never know who steps in or steps up to fill the voids and give the Buckeyes the necessary points to win.

The idea should be to reload and not rebuild or shoot for a particular year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Mark/JP/Roe: All of you make sensible points. Mark, I particularly like what you have to say about saving a redshirt as an insurance policy. In J. Jags true frosh year, he was supposed to start but blew out his elbow at the MSU Open. Fortunately, he was able to redshirt.

I think that next year we'll see:

Triggas, Paddock, Hump, Lance, Nemec, Spoon, Rella, Pucillo, Magrum or Cook, Morrison. The only possible redshirt would be Triggas.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

"Pat's always reliable so take it to the bank... "

??? u kidding right ???

i don't doubt it but i reported that on this forum 2 months ago, and Paddock will start at 133, thats the plan anyway.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

With Hump & Mike seniors, it's hard to sit Lance his last year. If they can come in with 5 studs (Reece, Lance , Colt, Mike (Dave or Sean?)) and get some decent points out of the others, they could do well. It seems like a big gamble to red-shirt him with Hump & Mike not coming back his last year IMO.

► Add to the Discussion