Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: J Jaggers
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

J Jaggers is like a comic book superhero. It always seems that when his back is to the wall and the fate of the world lies in the balance (so to speak), he rallies brilliantly and saves the day. What an amazing career he has had. Three AA finishes and two championships in spite of blowing out his elbow and knee plus a variety of other ailments and issues. He will be remembered for a long time as not only one of the true greats but one of the most inspirational competitor in Buckeye history.

I read the thread concerning where he belongs in the pantheon of All-Time Ohio Greats and I can only say--he belongs. He is unique in that he suffered two major injuries that may have affected his ability to be a more dominant competitor. He also has stated many times that it takes him most of the season to get used to the weight cut. Whatever. Two championships including a dominanting run to his second title are explosive credentials.

I will not only remember Jaggers for his accomplishments but for his unique ability to score from a variety of positions. No Ohio great has ever been so dangerous from defense and his ability to blow open tight matches against quality opponents is perhaps unparalleled.

Final comment on Jaggers: 10-0. That's his record for his final two NCAA championships.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"J Jaggers is like a comic book superhero. It always seems that when his back is to the wall and the fate of the world lies in the balance (so to speak), he rallies brilliantly and saves the day. What an amazing career he has had. Three AA finishes and two championships in spite of blowing out his elbow and knee plus a variety of other ailments and issues. He will be remembered for a long time as not only one of the true greats but one of the most inspirational competitor in Buckeye history.

I read the thread concerning where he belongs in the pantheon of All-Time Ohio Greats and I can only say--he belongs. He is unique in that he suffered two major injuries that may have affected his ability to be a more dominant competitor. He also has stated many times that it takes him most of the season to get used to the weight cut. Whatever. Two championships including a dominanting run to his second title are explosive credentials.

I will not only remember Jaggers for his accomplishments but for his unique ability to score from a variety of positions. No Ohio great has ever been so dangerous from defense and his ability to blow open tight matches against quality opponents is perhaps unparalleled.

Final comment on Jaggers: 10-0. That's his record for his final two NCAA championships."

Very well said, Hank. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

Hank,

I would make more of my own comments, but yours are perfect.

I had the displeasure of coaching against J many times, trying to get athletes prepared to beat him. And nobody was ever successful. I remember Matt Smilek had him in the State Semi-Finals when J was a freshman at Chanel. This was a big match becasue the team race was so tight between us and them at the time. Suffice to say that J always found a way to step it up when it really mattered.

His comments after the match are exactly on.... you don't accidentally win the NCAA's twice.

In my book, he has got to go down as one of Ohio's best "gamers" of all time - call him Reggie Jackson or whatever you'd like... bottom line is he always had his best performances State and National Finals. Who wouldn't want that as their legacy? It sure beats a record of beating the top guys in November and December and fading down the stretch.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

Very nicely written Hank.

I am curious, what was Jaggers high school record?

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

From his bio on the Ohio State Wrestling webpage, he finished 166-3 in high school. I'm a little curious as to what his plans might be from here. He's graduated and gotten his degree, will he find a job? Coach? Continue to compete? It might be a little early to ponder, but one wonders...

John Flanigan added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

Follow up then, who beat him?

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

Shawn Protz - West Geauga (9th)
Charlie Aggozino - St. Edward (9th)
Josh Zupancic - Walsh (pretty sure, that was 11th grade for J)

I only know this because, like I said, his freshman year we scouted him pretty closely... and the loss against Zupancic - I was there coaching U.S. in the tri-meet with Walsh and Chanel.

I think that was it as far as losses for Jaggers

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

He also gets my vote for best interview

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

In his post NCAA interview - on flo - he says that we haven't seen the last of him - whether he continues wrestling or goes into coaching - he will stay with the sport.

He make a good coach, IMO.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

Joe is right on.

Jaggers' first loss was as a freshman at Hoover to...
Shawn Protz from West Geauga, a senior who had the distinct honor of being the only person to defeat all-world Kyle Ott later that season at Top Gun. (Ott had won over 100 straight matches at the time.) Protz was a three-time state placer - sixth, third and fourth - and an Ironman runner-up. Protz went on to wrestle at the University of Pennsylvania and graduated from the prestigious Wharton school of business.

His second loss was at Mayfield, also as a freshman, to...
Charlie Agozzino (St. Edward) who was a junior at the time. He was also a three-time state placewinner, finishing third as a sophomore and a junior before making the finals as a senior and losing a tough 7-5 decision to NHSCA national runner-up Zach Flake. Agozzino was also an NHSCA All-American and went on to wrestle at Columbia University.

His third and final loss was in a dual as a junior to...
Josh Zupancic (Walsh Jesuit) who was a senior at the time. Zupancic was a four-time state finalist and a one-time state champion, although Bill Barger said his senior state finals loss was on the worst call he'd ever seen. (Zupancic lost because of a stalling call which gave his opponent, Frank Brown, the deciding point to send the match into overtime.) Zupancic ended up being an NCAA All-American and three-time national qualifier at Stanford University.

Jaggers beat Zupancic the next weekend in the final at the Mayfield Big 8.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

I graduated high school the same year as J and we went to the same district all four years. Both of our teams went to the Chippewa tournament our freshman year - he won it, I didn't - and then didn't go back.

One of the J moments I'll never forget was when state fourth-placer Charlie Morris from Cardinal "almost got a takedown" on J in the district finals our senior year. The crowd erupted. The match was over not long after that. In the News-Herald, Morris was quoted saying, "I'd rather wrestle Jesus than Jaggers!"

Best match ever:
Jaggers v. Tirapelle in the NHSCA Senior National semifinals. WOW!

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 25, 2009

I know, J took Tirapelle out! Utter domination and I just love his reaction after winning, he's pumped up.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

For the record I had the most fun of any NCAA tournament watching J. He has that "it" factor. For a skinny kid from Ohio, he is as tough as they come. Congratulations to him. He deserves it. He's my Hodge trophy winner.

► Add to the Discussion