Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Is Jaggers...
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

"As for David Taylor , he is very very good, but he hasn't competed on the senior national level and there are guys like the altons or the guy from Florida(sorry I can't spell his name) that could give him a match."
------------------------------------

Bill,
maybe but do u know that? and maybe they could give L Stieber a match too ??

Taylor beat L Stieber c onclusively in Ironman finals, 7-3 or 7-4, Taylor dominated 3rd period -- yes match was 2 years ago so might be different today, but it is Steibers only hs loss incl fargo.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Bob: I see your point but I like Bill's better. I think Stieber will make a better college wrestler than Taylor. Not sure of it...just a hunch.

Hank,
i cant believe those words, no doubt David Taylor is the most underrated Truly great Ohio hs wrestler i can ever recall.

this was related to me by a friend who overheard it, at an Ohio st U dual several years ago, some kid said to Taylor, "Everyone thinks Stieber is going to beat you, how does that feel?" or words to that effect. Taylor never said a word, but a month later in the Ironman finals he handled L Stieber.

And he did it same way as when he moved up a wt to beat 4xer Collin Palmer 8-5 this season, Taylor dominated the 3rd period . ---- u guys know your stuff but i don't buy it. As long as good on TOP means everything in college, i love both guys but i take Taylor first.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Alan Fried vs. Gerry Abas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItB0u_BKOlM

I think they'll both be great college wrestlers, and barring injuries, go on to become great wrestlers internationally.

David Taylor has the technique in all positions, he can funk out of a good portion of anything that anyone throws at him, he's competed on a high school team with an aggressive schedule, and David has proven he can beat people with the added size. I'm saddened he won't go to Ohio State, but there is no way Iowa State can screw him up, he's destined to join the line of tremendous wrestlers to come out of Iowa State.

Logan Stieber is on the same sort of level that David Taylor is at. Yes, David Taylor did beat him, but when you have two wrestlers of fairly equal ability and size, the one with an extra year of experience at a higher level will usually win out. Logan has a different style in the way he goes about things, but like David, he's a winner. I'm curious to see how he'll do on the senior level.

The one thing I'm not sure on is if these two had considered wrestling in college opens. It seems like a good indicator of success in college, obviously, if a high schooler goes in and starts beating up on college wrestlers. Dustin Schlatter proved that with a national championship and Quentin Wright showed demonstrated that with being an all-american his first year on the PSU squad.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

I don't think anyone is discounting Taylor's accomplishments. But Stieber sure took on the big challenge last year competing in the Senior level tournament AND winning. You also have to take into account that his loss at your tournament was his first high school exposure against a returning IM winner and state champ (who, I think, has a loss to someone -- Clark? -- who at the time wasn't anywhere near as heralded as Taylor was when he beat Stieber, if that makes sense, and was also a grade level lower) . To hang with Taylor was an amazing accomplishment given his grade and comp level to that point. He has done nothing but win out since then.

These are two great wrestlers who have been fun to watch. I think the arguments for both may be premature but certainly aren't invalid. Both these guys have a long way to go to really compare to Fried, DS, JJ, Kemp, etc. in my opinion.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 26, 2009

Nicholas: I promise I didn't see your post first and thanks for the link to Fried-Abas.

No worries at all, I think we all recognize that both of these wrestlers will join Jaggers as great representatives of Ohio wrestling.

"Both these guys have a long way to go to really compare to Fried, DS, JJ, Kemp, etc. in my opinion."
-------------------------------------

well L Stieber has another year of high school left, so i wont address him, his resume has more room to grow and it will ---

but as far as high school goes David Taylor compares very well to Alan Fried & Dustin Schlatter & Jaggers right now . Very well.

no one compares to Lee Kemp overall because he won 3 World mens freestyle titles, and was deprived of a chance at Olympic gold in his prime by Prez Carter's foolish decision in 1980 not to send the team.

Kemp & Pat Milkovich are Ohio's 4X college NCAA finalists. Thats another level entirely, but for high school Taylor is as good any Ohioan ever. No one, not even Joe Heskett, had more abilty to score on top.

Heskett a truly great one, 3X hs champ and in college finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, and first at NCAA , very close to a 4X finalist. His 3 loses at the NCAA tourn were all in OT --- all in OT. Then he made the 2007 World team before his heart conditon ended his career prematurely.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

Bob: I'm not disputing that Taylor is fantatastic. I realize he holds the holy grail of high school wrestling: the only 4-time IM champ. But most of the posts seem to ask who the best 4-timer is in relation to body of work, inlcuding college and post college. Other than Fargo, which Stieber has done, he hasn't to my knowledge, participated in, let along win, a senior event like Stieber.

And neither has done anything in college yet. As far as Stieber having a year left, who is going to challenge him at State's next year? Like this year with Taylor, everyone will run up or down from him. can't assume anything but it would be a big shock if he doesn't bget it done next year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

The only reason I like Stieber better for college is horsepower.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

"But most of the posts seem to ask who the best 4-timer is in relation to body of work, inlcuding college and post college."
-----------------------------

yes, that answer remains to be known for Taylor & Stieber-- but overall in Ohio its certainly Lee Kemp # 1.

Hank has a keen eye, so he may be right.

who will challenge L Stieber next season? maybe someone, thank god for the IRONMAN.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

the opinions are great about what are expectations are for taylor and Stieber. But if you ask me who I would put on my list, it always starts with Lee Kemp. The guy is what we measure wrestlers with in ohio and for that matter the nation. Domination and sportsmanship, punch you in the mouth(figure of speech) and help you up when it was over. My second is the gentleman wrestler Jim Jordan, looks like a boyscout that would help an old lady across the street, unless she was on the mat then he would take her down, with a smile, tough guy. Third is probably Alan Fried, for wrestling he was the best at the time I wrestled. To put J in perspective, I guess it will be time, he's now in the top ten, so as time goes we will digest what he has done and probably move him up the list. The guy is a flat winner, come game day you get his best. As for taylor, Stieber, it's crazy to say but they have some winning to do before they make the list of all time greats from ohio, as a side note isn't taylor a transplant, it's like New Jersey taking credit for it's prep schools. Great State, Great wrestlers. Love the posts

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

Taylor qualifies as "Ohio", he moved from Wyoming but has been in Ohio since about 6th grade.

btw, trivia question : Jaggers becomes the third two-time NCAA champion this decade from the Big Ten not to win a Big Ten title.

John Robert Dula added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

Ryan Bertin & Tommy Rowlands

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next