Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Who to root for???
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

Apparently the Iranian was suspended for 2 years due to performance enhancing drugs. Sounds like he has served his time and his making an impact as a favorite at 97kg.

If i'm Cox the possibility of moving up sounds even more intriguing,;especially since Bo should (needs) to drop to 86 and challenge D.T. amongst others.

Looking forward to some good wrestling tomorrow.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

"The lord giveth and the lord taketh away."

Bill Splete added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

If I’m Cox, I move up to 97kg, he would be the best person athletically to compete and match speed/ scrambling of Russian and IRI. Very excited to see how this plays out at trials! Always a buckeye first!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"If I’m Cox, I move up to 97kg, he would be the best person athletically to compete and match speed/ scrambling of Russian and IRI. Very excited to see how this plays out at trials! Always a buckeye first!"

You going to the trials???

Bill Splete added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

That is a wish, but sadly no going to watch it on Flo, but wow did the IRI wrestler manhandle a very tough, Bo Nickal, he made it look easy. Don't want to be a jerk, but when can he be tested again. It's one thing to manhandle Bo, but to manhandle Snyder, that's a bit much. If he is clean then we have a lot of work to do and if he's not then it will get washed out soon enough.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

Kyle had zero for the Iranian. Nickal simply was manhandled and should drop to 86.

So far the grand NLWC experiment is a disaster. There is time to turn it around but I hope that Iranian gets popped for roids again or we are in trouble.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2020

Kyle had an amazing run but this Iranian and Sadulaev are physically superior. Barring injury, illness, scandal, etc...I don't see him beating either one.

The cheap take on the subject will be that the move to PSU set him back. But the reality is that he has always been a short wrestler with short arms who utilized power and pace to overcome the opposition. Longer opponents have perfected better strategies for keeping him from scoring. This sport is brutal.

The way Snyder is being defeated regularly now should increase our appreciation for the greatness of John Smith, Bruce Baumgartner and Jordan Burroughs--the three greatest American wrestlers of our lifetimes.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 18, 2020

I suppose it could be a cheap take but given the attention PSU fans and Buckeye haters have given the move plus the actual facts, it seems appropriate at this time. It certainly is not an out of left field position based on what has actually happened so far.

A “cheap take would seem to be one having little factual support.

I hope Kyle wins gold because he seems like a great guy who works very hard, NLWC or not. But other than the Sadulaev pin, that was the most I’ve seen him look overmatched.

Ever.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 18, 2020

Roe: I wasn't thinking about what you wrote. I was thinking about national forums. There are people who will see Snyder's struggles as an opportunity to attack both him and PSU. My only point is I don't think that's a valid criticism.

Snyder hasn't helped himself by claiming "God wanted me to go to PSU." Quite frankly, that's just not a wise statement to make publicly regardless of how he personally feels.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 18, 2020

I get it. Nor did I take it as criticism as I always respect what you have to write, even if different than my position.

Quite frankly, I was also addressing more the national forums than your comment. Kyle leaving wasn’t great for TOSU. It also wasn’t a disaster. Life goes on and TOSU seems to be handling it well, thanks to J’Den coming in and Gas Tank Gary.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3