Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Discussion Topic: Will coronavirus impact attendance at OHSAA, Big Ten, NCAAs, OTT?
Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 23, 2020

Ben: in my opinion you are correct. Tough job right now for DeWine. We may find out in a year all we “know” scientifically now is wrong.

I thought he was right with the initial shutdown. Then, he either finds a way to reopen on some level or we risk losing many businesses for good, knowing then the virus would spike.

As to masks, I don’t think it’s political, it’s personal. Do you care about your fellow human being and, thus, greater society? The evidence today is pretty convincing that wearing a mask helps others, if not you.

Politically Bob is correct. DeWine will take a bit of a hit simply because he is republican and those indicted are, too. We should not forget a fact: Householder would never have been speaker of the house if a large portion of Democrats hadn’t cut deals with him so he could secure their votes. He wasn’t close to having enough republican votes, the usual course one takes to get elected speaker. He also secured quite a few (10 I think) democratic votes to pass HB 6 because a good number of republicans voted against it.

Greed and self-interest are controlling forces for some people in both parties. That’s not DeWine.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Will coronavirus impact attendance at OHSAA, Big Ten, NCAAs, OTT?
Jack Muni added to this discussion on July 23, 2020

I go into a store for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, give or take. I put on my mask, get back to the car and remove it. The employees at the store basically have to wear one their entire shift so I can be protected, in theory, from the virus. The least I can do is wear one for a brief period of time.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 23, 2020

u right Jack, just wear the damn mask, no big deal for most of us. In mid-March when DeWine shut down much of ohio businesses, instead he should have made masks Mandatory-- Yes i value our "personal freedoms" but there are limits in crisis conditions.

i posted on here days after the shutdown, 4 months ago. ...didnt have to be a genius to forsee our econmomy would be wrecked and many millions of lives in dire straits from the shutdown. And now we see the lingering effects of no mask-mandate nationally. .... And then theres the inevitable social upheaval. ..so now we are there.

i posted on this thread page 6 on March 19.... i didnt question DeWine for mask policy, but the shutdown oh Yes.

Quote:
"agree DeWine showing plenty of backbone-- i hope he and other governors are right because there is a very very high cost to shutting down much of society."

"Look for "Depression era" job reports. There wont be state, county or local revenue to support budgets. Much personal wealth already has been wiped out and its not done. Many small businesses closed will NEVER come back."

"lastly, society is FRAGILE- a desperate frame of mind is a source of mental breakdowns, disorder and mayhem, if this lasts long. ...Certainly our lives will be more & more under Govt control going forward even after this virus blows over. ... i'm not saying DeWine is wrong, just that theres a lot to ponder, the stakes are high.."

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 2, 2020

fyi-- much ado about nothing

For the period of August 24-28, Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics conducted 222 COVID-19 tests of students with ONE student testing positive. This includes 46 additional tests for the period of August 17-21, which were not included in last week’s report. (same as previous week ONE positive test)

College athletes are much much safer than ordinary student-- medical care & supervision very high caliber at Big Ten schools. New Big Ten commish is inept.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 2, 2020

Bob: in my opinion, you are correct.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on September 2, 2020

It's amazing what testing and tracing can do for tracking and assessing safety. The lack of testing reminds me of the 80s and the aids epidemic. It was cost-prohibitive for the Red Cross to test for it, then the bodies piled up and their previous decision caused outrage. I guess the same question can be asked, how many people is enough for testing to be broad and accessible? This comment may be too late, but in light of Bob's post, those numbers indicate those students are at very low risk. No vaccine, you must test and often.

Side note, watched Gwiz wrestle Gadson, and he looked great, We have to get these guys back on the mat.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on September 3, 2020

PSU director of athletic medicine reported 33% of big 10 athletes with covid also have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscles. He called it alarming. Just too much we don't know about this virus to put young folk in high school and college at risk imo.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on September 3, 2020

That same Dr said that "he recalled initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study, which unbeknownst to him at the time had been published at a lower rate."

So the guy was told something from a colleague about a study he had no clue about and ended up being completely wrong.

Dr. Michael Ackerman is a genetic cardiologist at Mayo Clinic. He specializes in genomics and genotype-phenotype relationships in heritable cardiovascular diseases leading to sudden death. This includes myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart that’s linked to COVID-19. Ackerman answered The Daily Orange’s questions about its risk to athletes.

The Big Ten is using a study that said, “High sensitivity Troponin — a sensitive marker for cardiac cellular injury — was detected in 71% of the patients, and cardiac MRI revealed evidence of cardiac inflammation and/or scarring in 78% of the patients.” You’re not an athletic director or a school president, but what is your reaction to them using that study to justify canceling the season?

M.A.: Conferences who cancel the season may have very good reasons for doing so. If they sized up the weight of the evidence and said to stop for now, that’s justifiable. Other conferences say, “We’ve weighed everything in the balance and we’re going to press on carefully, but we can switch to no again if need be.” Both of those decisions can be equally right or appropriate. My point was to ask officials to look under the hood to see if there’s enough evidence in relation to the heart.

In other words, if the conference received enough evidence to say that we reached a tipping point because of a heart issue, then I cry foul. Look under the hood. Look at the strength of the evidence. If you look carefully enough, there’s simply not enough evidence to assign that much weight to COVID-19 and the heart as the driving reason for a season termination. If the conference said, “Even if we removed the heart issue, we would have agreed to cancel,” I would’ve said, ‘Great.’ I’m not an expert for those reasons, so I can’t speak on it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 5, 2020

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"fyi-- much ado about nothing

For the period of August 24-28, Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics conducted 222 COVID-19 tests of students with ONE student testing positive. (same as previous week ONE positive test)"

this is ridiculous, 3 major conf play today, Big Ten sits.
U of MICHIGAN Latest testing updates as of September 4
Total individuals (student-athletes + coaches/ staff) tested between August 29-Sept. 4: 940
Positive test results between August 29-Sept. 4: 4

Alex Creech added to this discussion on September 6, 2020

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"PSU director of athletic medicine reported 33% of big 10 athletes with covid also have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscles. He called it alarming. Just too much we don't know about this virus to put young folk in high school and college at risk imo."

Ridiculous. Once again someone making assumptions without the facts. They back tracked on this report because it wasn't factual.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 23, 2020

this is priceless

https://www.facebook.com/michael.new.1253/posts/10102051395329122?notif_id=1606099763112053&notif_t=notify_me&ref=notif

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 25, 2020

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"this is priceless

https://www.facebook.com/michael.new.1253/posts/10102051395329122?notif_id=1606099763112053&notif_t=notify_me&ref=notif"

Yep.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 25, 2020

One thing we can all agree upon: hypocrisy is an ugly trait.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 25, 2020

One thing we can all agree upon: hypocrisy is an ugly trait.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 25, 2020

from hypocracy to a more uplifting picture, youll love this amidst the rubble & despair of 2020..a reason to be Thankful.

https://www.facebook.com/tom.borrelli.77/posts/3768185149908396?notif_id=1606328603886641&notif_t=notify_me&ref=notif

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next